Cost comparison: Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid vs. Cadillac ELR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DG2
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Cost comparison: Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid vs. Cadillac ELR in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I decided to go check out a Porsche Panamera S-E Plug-in Hybrid yesterday at my local dealership. It's a very ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Cost comparison: Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid vs. Cadillac ELR

I decided to go check out a Porsche Panamera S-E Plug-in Hybrid yesterday at my local dealership. It's a very nice car, despite having a nondescript exterior shape. What really surprised me, though, was the price difference between the Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid and the Cadillac ELR.

Here are some general comparisons:
    • ELR has a trunk; Panamera S-E Hybrid has a hatchback
    • ELR has 2 doors; Panamera S-E Hybrid has 4 doors
    • ELR sits 2+2; Panamera S-E Hybrid also sits 2+2, but with easier access due to 4 doors and hatchback
    • ELR gets ~37 EV miles; Panamera S-E Hybrid gets ~20 EV miles
    • ELR accelerates 0-60 in 9 seconds; Panamera S-E Hybrid accelerates 0-60 in 5.2 seconds
    • ELR has front-wheel drive; Panamera S-E Hybrid has rear-wheel drive
    • ELR has 20-inch wheels standard; Panamera S-E Hybrid has 18-inch wheels standard
    • ELR has regen paddles standard; Panamera S-E Hybrid does not offer regen paddles
    • ELR base model comes standard with Heated Seats, Reverse Camera, Adjustable Memory Seats, Noise Insulated Glass, all-LED lighting, Heated Steering Wheel, Lane Departure Warning, Park Assist Sonar, Alcantara Headliner, Voice Commands, and a BOSE 14-Speaker Sound System with AudioPilot; Panamera S-E Hybrid does not include any of those features in its base model, but they're available as upgrades
    • ELR can be upgraded with Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic Front Collision Preparation and Warning, Blind-Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, 20-way seat adjustments, and Red exterior color; Panamera S-E Hybrid offers most of those upgrades too, but also has a plethora of other upgrades and customizations available that the ELR doesn't, including ventilated front & rear seats
    • The base model ELR is $75,995. The base model Panamera S-E Hybrid is $99,995
    So the Panamera S-E Hybrid smokes the ELR on acceleration, rear-wheel drive, rear seat access, hatchback access, and the sheer number of available upgrades. The ELR smokes the Panamera S-E Hybrid on EV range, regen paddles, the number of luxury features available on the standard base model, and exterior appearance.

If I go to Porche's website and add in all the upgrades that come standard with the ELR, the price becomes approximately $119,000. (Note that a fully-loaded Panamera S-E Hybrid is close to $180,000!)

So when one sees that the Panamera S-E Hybrid costs $119k vs. the ELR's $76k, the question is whether that $43k difference in price is worth 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, rear-wheel drive, a hatchback, easier rear seat access, less EV range, a less interesting exterior design, and the Porsche crest on the vehicle.

What do you think? Does seeing how the Panamera S-E Hybrid compares in price change your mind about whether the ELR is overpriced? IMHO, if people are complaining about the ELR being overpriced, they should be having an apoplectic fit when discussing the Porsche's total cost!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    With all do respect , your kidding right ? You're comparing and "Apple to a Brazil nut". Not even in the same league.
    C&C likes this.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: Cost comparison: Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid vs. Cadillac ELR

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    With all do respect , your kidding right ? You're comparing and "Apple to a Brazil nut". Not even in the same league.
    With all due respect, you're kidding by comparing an "Apple to a Brazil nut." I, on the other hand, am comparing a Porsche to a Cadillac. The only difference between the ELR and Panamera S-E Hybrid, having driven them both extensively, is that the Porsche is faster, has more available customization options, is uglier, burns a lot more gas, and is even more overpriced than the ELR. The Porsche is absolutely not worth $42k more than my ELR, and definitely not $104k more, no matter how many options I add to the Porsche.

Have you even driven either vehicle? Sounds to me like you're blinded by the Porsche badge and are basing your comments on how both cars look on paper. (I understand, though - I thought the same thing about Jaguar until I sat in one of their cars and felt like I should be wearing clothes from the 70s while turning 80 years old.) The Panamera S-E Hybrid is a very nice car, but its styling doesn't hold a candle to the ELR's, and I don't really care about beating some punk to the next stop light.

If I was driving around in a $119k Panamera S-E Hybrid today and saw an ELR on the road, then learned it was $42k less, I would be beside myself with annoyance for having made the wrong decision. And most likely I would see the ELR gleefully zoom past me in the carpool lane while I was sitting in California traffic, unable to ever make use of my Porsche's acceleration or be able to access the HOV lane by myself.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Re: Cost comparison: Porsche Panamera S-E Hybrid vs. Cadillac ELR

Blast: Well written. I agree with you completely. After owning Porsche's and Ferrari's I can tell you that the ELR is definitely in the class that the Porsche is and, as I have stated many times before, the ELR is NOT overpriced. In about 18 months when all the EREV's, BEV's, etc. have hit the street and others are on the drawing board, folks will realize why Cadillac did what it did. The ELR, with its small backseat and large doors, is the best EV I have ever driven...and that includes a Model S.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy
    With all due respect, you're kidding by comparing an "Apple to a Brazil nut." I, on the other hand, am comparing a Porsche to a Cadillac. The only difference between the ELR and Panamera S-E Hybrid, having driven them both extensively, is that the Porsche is faster, has more available customization options, is uglier, burns a lot more gas, and is even more overpriced than the ELR. The Porsche is absolutely not worth $42k more than my ELR, and definitely not $104k more, no matter how many options I add to the Porsche. Have you even driven either vehicle? Sounds to me like you're blinded by the Porsche badge and are basing your comments on how both cars look on paper. (I understand, though - I thought the same thing about Jaguar until I sat in one of their cars and felt like I should be wearing clothes from the 70s while turning 80 years old.) The Panamera S-E Hybrid is a very nice car, but its styling doesn't hold a candle to the ELR's, and I don't really care about beating some punk to the next stop light. If I was driving around in a $119k Panamera S-E Hybrid today and saw an ELR on the road, then learned it was $42k less, I would be beside myself with annoyance for having made the wrong decision. And most likely I would see the ELR gleefully zoom past me in the carpool lane while I was sitting in California traffic, unable to ever make use of my Porsche's acceleration or be able to access the HOV lane by myself.
    There's no bigger GM/ Cadillac fan then me and I while the ELR is beautiful it honestly is in a different league then the Porsche. Yes, I have driven the Porsche it is stunning and while you make some great points I don't think too many auto experts would compare these two cars. I hope after GM dusts themselves off after this recall disaster that they build a ground-up industry-leading pure electric car that is jaw-dropping and says Cadillac on it !!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.