*GM Would Sell a Ton of ELRs if they were not so Over Priced by $20,000...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, *GM Would Sell a Ton of ELRs if they were not so Over Priced by $20,000... in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I stopped by my local Cadillac dealer to check out the ELR.. $74k for a new one.. Way Overpriced.. The ...
    austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Lightbulb *GM Would Sell a Ton of ELRs if they were not so Over Priced by $20,000...

I stopped by my local Cadillac dealer to check out the ELR.. $74k for a new one.. Way Overpriced.. The Chevy Volt (with the same Technology) bombed out with all the goodies, plus more room is $28K.. Please tell me how the $74k is justified? I would not expect soccer moms to purchase this at that price.. It has manly looks and slow Electric Acceleration.. I was not impressed at all with the performance for $74k. I know it's all about fuel economy.. But come on.. I would think it would perform better.. The interiors fit and finish was very nice.. No sunroof option.. Although,, the 11-14 CTS Coupe has a sun roof option.. These cars are very close to the ELR in size.. My local dealer had five of them. They sold zero.. I was at another dealer the week prior.. They had three. They also sold zero.. The other dealer agreed that the price was too much.. He also said that sales across the country were not stellar to say the very least.. Being a fan of GM I want them to succeed.. But the ELR is drastically overpriced by at least $20,000.. GM should either rethink the price or run a monster discount sale for a few months.. That would move them for sure.. I just can't see another years model coming on the ELR when they are sitting on dealership lots everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong here... But the $74k price does not make any sense.. What market is this car targeted at? Who researched the price? GM needs to drop the price to realistic numbers and start selling them.. I'm sorry, but this simply bad marketing on GM's part.

Apparently I'm not alone on this one;

http://gas2.org/2013/12/11/consumer-...lr-overpriced/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: *GM Would Sell a Ton of ELRs if they were not so Over Priced by $20,000...

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    The Chevy Volt (with the same Technology) bombed out with all the goodies, plus more room is $28K.. Please tell me how the $74k is justified? I would not expect soccer moms to purchase this at that price ... Maybe I'm wrong here... But the $74k price does not make any sense.. What market is this car targeted at?
    First of all, a fully-loaded Chevy Volt doesn't even come close to having the same technology and upgrades as the Cadillac ELR. Second of all, a fully-loaded Chevy Volt is about $41k, not $28k. Third, it's not targeted to soccer moms any more than the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid Plug-in is targeted at soccer moms. Fourth, anyone who thinks the base ELR is only worth $55,000 is living in a dream world.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list of improvements the ELR has over the Volt:
    • Regen Paddles
    • brake lights illuminate under regen-only deceleration
    • Full-speed-range Adaptive Cruise Control
    • improved traction and handling (especially in the rain)
    • superior high-end Bose 10-speaker sound system
    • Luxury front seats with 20 separate available electronic adjustments and ability to save two driver settings plus an exit position
    • a key fob tied to the driver's automatic seat & side mirror memory positions
    • Side Blind Zone Alert
    • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
    • LED headlamps, daytime running lamps, and taillamps
    • Interior accent lighting
    • accented leather incorporating sueded microfiber, chrome, wood, and carbon fiber finishes
    • C.U.E. Infotainment system
    • 20-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS Eco 245/40 tires that provide superior traction
    • fully recalibrated and reprogrammed software for powertrain control systems
    • premium ZF electric power steering system
    • front HiPer Strut suspension
    • rear compound-crank with Watt's link suspension
    • ZF-Sachs continuous damping control
    • 7.8 seconds from 0-60 in Extended Range (ER) mode
    • superior acceleration from 50-80 in EV mode (and even faster in ER mode)
    • an improved reverse camera
    • acoustically laminated windshield
    • thicker front-door glass
    • liquid-applied sound deadener applied to the floor pan, trunk and roof
    • triple-sealed doors with acoustic perimeter water deflectors
    • mass-efficient sound-absorbing dash mat and carpet system
    • acoustic foam baffles inside body cavities and in between inner and outer quarter panels
    • an isolated front suspension cradle with hydraulic powertrain mounts to isolate road and engine vibration
    • Bose active noise cancellation system
    • Power button moved far away from the Drive Mode button
    • Improved steering wheel controls
    • Heated steering wheel
    • One of the most distinctive, sexy exteriors of any car near its price range
    • And, of course, a powered cup holder cover!
    That is why the ELR is twice as expensive as a Volt. If you go drive a Volt then drive an ELR, you'll see it's not even the same car. I'm not saying that much (if any) of the equipment is groundbreaking since most of it is available on other GM cars; but if people are willing to pay $40k for a fully-loaded 2014 Volt, then adding everything above to that at least brings one closer to accepting an $80k ELR that, with current lease incentives, only costs about $650/mo (compared to an $75k Lexus LS460 that costs $975/mo).

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Apparently I'm not alone on this one;

http://gas2.org/2013/12/11/consumer-...lr-overpriced/
    What you can blame for the car's failure is GM's marketing, public statements by executives, and erroneous belief that people who are buying $100k Tesla Model S P85s are not former Prius, Volt, and Leaf owners (i.e., Cadillac doesn't believe Prius, Volt, and Leaf owners can afford or want a luxury electric car). Check out this recent post in another thread. Cadillac has done a terrible job of communicating why the ELR is worth its price. It also doesn't help that the ELR isn't any faster than the Volt. GM apparently didn't understand (or believe) that acceleration was one of the major draws of the Tesla Model S, and so it made sure the ELR maintained the Volt's 37-mile range at the expense of a more aggressive acceleration. Completely clueless over there at Cadillac.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

The one good thing about the internet....it spawns many auto industry executives, marketing people and industry CEO's....at least in their minds. I sincerely hope that Cadillac does not drop the price down on the ELR as I am an owner. Very few times, if any, in the history of the US auto industry has a domestic car maker decided to kill the used market, new market, service industry or customer base by "tanking" a car that is not selling in volume. Tesla's may be great at drag racing but I doubt that I see many at a track and no matter what the owners say about BEV cars....unless there is a quick charging network in place for the ENTIRE US there will always be range anxiety in a BEV. Planning each and every trip over 250 miles to make sure that the car is not stranded is not an enticing marketing position. The ELR can take you from one end of the US to the other without wasting 5 minutes on planned stops and recreation during same....and it does it in comfort, handling and enjoyment. If the ELR was $50K and it delivered a 0-60 time of 6 seconds BUT had to remove the things I enjoy about the car then I would be asking Cadillac to build one that was $20k more with all the goodies.

Texican is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ELR

2014 ELR
    Lease ELR Starting @ $499.00mo
    Expires: 06/30/2014
    View Inventory
    Lease ELR Starting @ $499.00 per month for 39 months with $1,999 due at signing! Now is the time to take advantage of special lease offers on select new inventory models! Spectacular savings are just a pen stroke away! Stop in today to schedule a test drive and learn more.
    Terms and Conditions:
    *Employee Price. *Plus tax, title, plate, & doc. fee. All leases payments are based on 10,000 miles per year. Plus tax on rebate and down payment. Must qualify with Tier 1 or S Tier credit through preferred lender. Pricing includes all factory rebates. No security deposit required. Leases must be registered in the state of Michigan. We accept ALL GM discount purchase plans. All CTS leases calculated using Cadillac Conquest Program. To qualify for Cadillac Conquest Program you must have a 2004 or newer non-GM purchase or lease. ALL other leases calculated using GM Lease Loyalty. To qualify for GM Lease Loyalty you must currently be leasing a 2004 or newer Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac or GMC vehicle. Picture may not represent actual vehicle being sold. All lease payments already include acquisition fee. This ad is your coupon. Expires 6/30/2014 at 9p.m. ?To qualify for Cadillac lease pull ahead you must have a Cadillac lease expiring prior to 12/31/14. This program waives up to 4 payments or a maximum of $3,000. *While every reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this data, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions contained on these pages. Please verify any information in question with a dealership sales representative.

FloridaMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

Quote Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
    I sincerely hope that Cadillac does not drop the price down on the ELR as I am an owner. Very few times, if any, in the history of the US auto industry has a domestic car maker decided to kill the used market, new market, service industry or customer base by "tanking" a car that is not selling in volume.
    Note GM cannot "drop the price" on the cars on dealers lots. They can, however, offer money back either to dealers or rebates to purchasers. Same effect, however.

So, what would you have GM do? The real issue is NOT low sales numbers, it's dealers who bought and paid for hundreds of cars they are not finding buyers for. Do you know of any dealer would would commit to ordering any 2015s?

What do you believe would be a practical way to quickly and convincingly clear the inventory of 2014s? Because unless that happens, there's no future, and eventually many dealers will drop the price themselves. As some are already doing.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Funny Toyota has no problem selling a rebadged preus or Camry as a hybrid Lexus. So why is GM the one who gets ripped apart for rebadging ? I believe it's because the press has always been harder on an American company as we seeing the recall mess.. The ELR is a stunning beautiful car there is no doubt about it .. yes should've made it a little more powerful do something different than the volt power train or a little bit cheaper.. that said I think you get a fantastic job of making it a true standout car much better than Toyota did with their Lexus clones.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

The sale is on. - get five figure discount:
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...counts-already

jahazlett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Bought my red ELR Tuesday, 8 July; for $80K minus a $15K incentive, a $27.5K trade on a 2011 CTS AWD Coupe. Factoring in the $7.5K "Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D); I had to cover the difference of $30K. Treated very nicely by DeLuca Woodworth Chevrolet Cadillac, in Andover, MA. As I live in New Hampshire, there was no state tax credit.

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Coral Cadillac in Pompano Beach, Florida has large discounts of $22,500 on a loaded ELR. I am not sure if that includes the $7,500 credit. I will have to give the ELR another look.

FloridaMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
    Coral Cadillac in Pompano Beach, Florida has large discounts of $22,500 on a loaded ELR. I am not sure if that includes the $7,500 credit. I will have to give the ELR another look.
    The advertised price includes the disclaimer that it includes the tax credit. So their current discount is 15K. It was 12K almost all last month.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Another article about ELR not selling:
    http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/7/1...-ELRs-7721471/

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

ELR is a cool car, but I heard its price is within ear shot of a Tesla modelS ... and I if thats true than the questions sorta moot lol

dagger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalade ESV
    With current discounts, a loaded ELR is almost $50K less than a TeslaS.

----------

[QUOTE="dagger"]With current discounts, a loaded ELR is almost $50K less than a loaded TeslaS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.