On the fence on purchasing ELR.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, On the fence on purchasing ELR. in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My commute is 38 miles, 90% freeway at 70mph. I carpool with 2 passengers. What sort of EV range should ...
    ts27330 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS luxury sedan

On the fence on purchasing ELR.

My commute is 38 miles, 90% freeway at 70mph. I carpool with 2 passengers.
    What sort of EV range should I expect with the ELR? My employer has charging stations, so I could recharge at work.
    My local dealer is offering me one heck of a deal ($20,000 off $80,200 sticker).

Thanks, for any honest feedback.

TS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Re: On the fence on purchasing ELR.

TS,

I get 42-46 miles per charge with my ELR. I average 50-60 mph(round trip) on my drive to the office and, as you, charge up when I get there. As long as my work day involves that type of driving I rarely have any need for gas use. The problem you may have is with your two passengers. The one that gets the short straw and, consequently, the back seat may be hard pressed for room. It is a pretty tight fit in the back seat for anyone over 5-10.
    But...should you go with the ELR deal you will love the car. It rides great, has all the toys and is a hoot to drive. Drop it into Sport mode and you will get the idea of just how quick this car can really be (in spite of all the media quotes). In Sport mode you will trim your ev mileage by about 20% or so...but it is fun driving without any shift lag! I am an early adopter so the deal you are getting is certainly attractive.

dagger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalade ESV

cstegall, is the $20K discount on a demo? I have been offered the same deal, same MSRP, but only on the demo in stock. Less on a new ELR. I would assume that if some dealers can offer $20K off on a new ELR, all will eventually follow...

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by ts27330 View Post
    My commute is 38 miles, 90% freeway at 70mph. I carpool with 2 passengers.
    What sort of EV range should I expect with the ELR? My employer has charging stations, so I could recharge at work.
    You should have your carpool mates sit in the back seat of the ELR before buying it to make sure they're comfortable since it's smaller and less accessible than the Volt's back seat. My wife and my 5'6" friend have no problem with the back seat, but my 5'8" friend can't sit back there due to the shallow curve of the back window.

As for my range, my commute is 36 miles round trip with 50% freeway at 75 mph with only me in the car, 35-50% of the trip in Sport mode depending on my mood. In the winter, I'd only eke out 35 miles before the engine kicked in, but during the summer I'm arriving home with 3-4 miles left on the battery. So my range has been 33-47 depending on conditions and driving style.

An $80,200 ELR for only $60,200 - even if it's a demo model - is the likely the best deal you'll ever see until used ones start arriving on dealer lots in three years. If you love the car and can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger at that price. (My January 2014 deal was a $79,700 ELR for about $76,310 and near 0% APR.)

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Quote Originally Posted by dagger View Post
    cstegall, is the $20K discount on a demo? I have been offered the same deal, same MSRP, but only on the demo in stock. Less on a new ELR. I would assume that if some dealers can offer $20K off on a new ELR, all will eventually follow...
    dagger...wrong person. I bought mine without any $20k discount. I am assuming that the one that ts is looking at is a demo.

Sorry, yes my question was for ts27330. Really good price for a demo, but I would buy today if I could get $20K off a brand new one. That plus $7500 federal tax credit and $2500 Texas rebate would drop the price before TT&L to around $50K..

ts27330 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS luxury sedan

Dagger, the price discount is off a new one, not a demo. Currently on vacation, will re-visit the dealer when I return home.

I would jump on that offer. Here in Houston, with all tax credits and rebates, you are getting that $80K vehicle for $50K... That's a lot of technology for that kind of money. This car is perfect for what we would use it for, in town commuting with the occasional short road trip to Galveston, San Antonio, or Austin. We have an Escalade for the long trips to Wyoming, Montana, etc. There is only one thing that really holds me back, the
    thought that a new ELR will arrive that gets 70-80 miles on a charge. But for $20K off MSRP, I'm in...

----------

ts27330, do you mind telling me what city, state the dealer is in offering this deal. I want to ask my salesman, a great guy at the best dealership in Houston, why they are only able to offer $16K off a new ELR and $20K is being offered elsewhere...

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Buy it yesterday! Don't listen to "logic" because no Rolls or S Class is really worth what they cost it is all about status. With the ELR you get the added benefit of the car being very green and luxurious. If you can get said discounts I would go for it. I saw a guy driving one in downtown Houston and it was stunning. He looked very successful....well kind of like the guy in the TV ad. If he would have looked over I would have given him a thumbs up but he was shooting off from every light and I just bought a truck so I was goosing it.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've been lurking here but glad to see I am in similar company. I'm not sure the programs can be stacked, but my dealer is showing $12k instant cash, $6250 military rebate, $7500 fed tax credit, and about $13k cash from trade... At least its now down into the 'maybe' range... IF those can all be stacked.
    But I have yet to even sit in one, so there's a long way to go. And its a big change moving from my '12 SRX to a sedan/coupe...
    But its got me thinking...

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver
    I've been lurking here but glad to see I am in similar company. I'm not sure the programs can be stacked, but my dealer is showing $12k instant cash, $6250 military rebate, $7500 fed tax credit, and about $13k cash from trade... At least its now down into the 'maybe' range... IF those can all be stacked. But I have yet to even sit in one, so there's a long way to go. And its a big change moving from my '12 SRX to a sedan/coupe... But its got me thinking...
    It's a stunning looking car inside and out

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I like it. I'm able to turn my back because I am so pleased with my SRX. Sales at dealer said no stacking of instant cash and military rebate. But we didn't talk a 'final amount'. Part of my issue is I don't know if I will get the fed tax credit due to my tax situation (very complicated). I could be talked into it, I suppose. But need to figure out my own situation.... And need a salesperson more adept than just showing me how cool the marker lights are... I consider myself already pretty well educated on the car. I need someone who is smart enough to put the numbers together (and my initial thought is that isnt the person I saw today).
    When I bought my SRX, I took their first offer. They came back and sweetened the deal even more. Its a good, honest dealer. But they're gonna have to work at selling me this one....

Texican is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ELR

I am getting over 40 miles on a battery charge but mostly in the city. I've jumped on the freeway a few times for a 20 mile round trip and still had battery when I got back so a 40 mile commute should work. If your carpool buddies are big guys it might be tight in the back. My daughter usually rides in the back and its perfect for her. My deal shows a $12,750.00 "Rebate" but I am pretty sure it breaks down to about $6,000.00 dealer discount, $6,000.00 manufacturer rebate and $750.00 from USAA or something pretty close to that. Dealer said it would be another $5,000.00 off on top of that if he had a demo. I got all my income taxes back when I filed because I purchased a Volt last year and I expect the same for this one. I am submitting the paperwork for the $2,500.00 Texas incentive so we will see how that goes...

Texican, can you tell me where you got the paperwork for the $2500 Texas rebate. I looked online, but couldn't find it..

Texican, no need to respond, I found the application online! Picked up my new ELR Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise this morning! What a fine car to drive!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.