Sad that the best ELR review comes from Bangalore!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Sad that the best ELR review comes from Bangalore! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well-researched, insightful, critical where necessary, and right on target. If I had to write an ELR review for a newspaper, ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

My favorite ELR review so far

Well-researched, insightful, critical where necessary, and right on target. If I had to write an ELR review for a newspaper, this is very close to what I would have submitted. (I would have added my complaint about the 0-60 in 7.8 seconds being a sham since that only occurs after the battery has been depleted.) Kudos to the New York Times.

video - http://www.nytimes.com/video/automob...illac-elr.html / article - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/automobiles/autoreviews/2014-cadillac-elr-review.html

Note that the original title of this thread was due to me first finding the review here: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...cordingly.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Re: Sad that the best ELR review comes from Bangalore!

I agree, very good review, and the description of the generator operation was good, several reviews lead one to believe the "engine" provides propulsion when the batteries are depleted, when in fact the ELR is always propelled by the "motor".

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Series hybrid...just like a train locomotive.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by MJDART View Post
    I agree, very good review, and the description of the generator operation was good, several reviews lead one to believe the "engine" provides propulsion when the batteries are depleted, when in fact the ELR is always propelled by the "motor".
    There is also a connect indirect from the gas engine to the driveline (as in the Volt); this was done for efficiency at certain conditions.

While the below is taken from a Volt article, these phases are shared with the ELR: (see mode four)

Mode one is electric drive, with power to move the vehicle coming from the electric traction motor. The vehicle is in full electric mode, and this is the mode it would operate in most of the time in the city. In mode two, the electric generator motor is added into the power output through the planetary gearset. Although the vehicle can operate full range on only one electric motor, adding the second one improves efficiency at highway speeds. Again, the vehicle is operating as an electric vehicle but this mode is used more often for highway driving.

Mode three is an extended drive-range mode. When the battery pack becomes depleted, the gas engine starts up and runs the electric generator motor to recharge the battery pack. The vehicle is propelled by the electric traction motor only, with power coming from the battery pack as the gas engine recharges it.

Finally, mode four engages clutches in the transmission so that the gas engine can help the electric traction motor propel the car, while also using the electric generator motor to produce additional power to be stored in the battery pack.

reference for above explanation: http://www.autos.ca/auto-tech/auto-t...ulsion-system/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.