$79k ELR reverse camera vs. $50k Rav4 EV camera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, $79k ELR reverse camera vs. $50k Rav4 EV camera in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Here's a comparison of my ELR's reverse camera at night (first image) to my Toyota Rav4 EV's reverse camera (second ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

$79k ELR reverse camera vs. $50k Rav4 EV camera

Here's a comparison of my ELR's reverse camera at night (first image) to my Toyota Rav4 EV's reverse camera (second image) under the exact same conditions, just different sides of the garage:

ELR_reverse_camera.jpg

RAV4EV_reverse_camera.jpg

Cadillac should be ashamed and embarrassed that a $50k compliance car (which one can buy currently for ~$38k after non-tax incentives) has such a fundamental feature like this that is so much better than my $79k car. The Volt's camera curse continues...alas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

Re: $79k ELR reverse camera vs. $50k Rav4 EV camera

If there was only some way to adjust the focus, it would be much better. That is worse than my '14 CTS though.

For comparison, here's the Rav4 EV's camera this morning, then the ELR's camera with the Instrument Panel Illumination Control Thumbwheel all the way down, and then the ELR's camera with the illumination thumbwheel all the way up. As you can see, if the ELR would just default to full illumination (ignoring the thumbwheel setting), it rivals the Rav4 EV's camera for this comparison.

That's one of the biggest problems with this camera system in both the Volt and ELR: the screen doesn't adjust the brightness and contrast independently of the illumination thumbwheel and day/night mode like many other cars up and down the price range do.

RAV4EV_daytime_camera.jpg

ELR_daytime_camera_dim.jpg

ELR_daytime_camera_bright.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    If there was only some way to adjust the focus, it would be much better. That is worse than my '14 CTS though.
    It's strange, because as you can see from the daytime image, it's perfectly in focus and quite good under optimal lighting. I wonder if it's a software glitch that makes the camera look so out of focus at night? There are also times during the day under poor lighting conditions (too bright or cloudy) when the ELR's camera still has problems where other system can compensate adequately, but I haven't encountered any of them, recently, to be able to post a picture.

jc4usc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR - Radiant Silver
    I cannot agree with you more! It's hard to understand why Cadillac would have used such a low resolution camera for a car at this price point. I too hope it's more of a software issue than hardware situation.

I can tell you, I've never had this problem with my BMWs. Nonetheless, it's a small compromise to drive the ELR. Here's hoping Cadillac updates the software or offers an upgraded camera replacement.

Here are three images from my 2012 Chevy Volt's reverse camera for comparison:

Daytime
    Volt_camera_day.jpg

Night (with illumination control thumbwheel dialed all the way down)
    Volt_camera_night_dim.jpg

Night (with illumination control dialed all the way up)
    Volt_camera_night_bright.jpg

As you can see, the 2012 Volt is the worst of the bunch. But, as demonstrated in the first post above, the ELR's nighttime image also leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other cars. At least the ELR's daytime image under full illumination and optimal lighting conditions is excellent.

The Volt has the same problem as the ELR (which the Rav4 EV and most other cars don't have): the display does not automatically revert to full brightness for the reverse camera image. As these images demonstrate, that negatively affects the image quality.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Blast: Thanks for the pics. I do not use my rear camera much at night but have felt that it was more than adequate for any situation where I do need. Maybe I got lucky.

DetroitELR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The horrible nighttime backup camera resolution was one of the 1st things I complained about on the ELR, my daughter's $17,000 Elantra had a better backup camera resolution, definitely a sore spot for me on a $80k Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.