Side View Mirrors as Charge Indicators
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Side View Mirrors as Charge Indicators in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm excited to say that I'm a "new ELR" owner - just picked it up last night! I'm wondering if ...
    jc4usc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR - Radiant Silver

Side View Mirrors as Charge Indicators

I'm excited to say that I'm a "new ELR" owner - just picked it up last night!

I'm wondering if anyone can breakdown how and when the charge indicators activate on the side view mirrors?

While I wait for my 240v EV Charging Station to be installed, I'll be using the included 120v portable charger and public stations. In addition to the dashboard indicator lighting up, only the passenger side view mirror glows. Is that a visual cue that it's charging on 120v or do I have a problem with the one on the driver's side.

I figured I'd turn to the experts - this forum! The folks at the dealership are still playing catchup on their knowledge base of this incredible vehicle.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bgelber is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Side View Mirrors as Charge Indicators

P.9-63 in the manual. Both mirrors should flash green while charging. Flash speed depends on amount of charge. Less than half solid green not flashing, more than half fast flash, almost full slow flash, charge complete -off.

Thank you bgelber. I guess I'm heading back to the dealership to fix...

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Both mirrors should show charge status.

Thank you stegall. I plan on taking in my car this weekend for the repair.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

When you signal a right turn, does the passenger mirror light blink? It's supposed to, just as the driver's side mirror light blinks when you signal left.

If the passenger side light doesn't illuminate when signalling nor when charging, then it's probably just a bulb (LED?) or electrical connection.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello jc4usc,

Congratulations on your recent purchase of the ELR! I bet a lot of heads turn when they see you driving down the road. I see you are bringing your vehicle into your dealership for a repair. If you would like to further discuss this and keep us updated throughout the process, please feel free to send us a private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I appreciate everyone's responses and support. Yes, the turn signal works fine - that's why I found it strange that it wasn't glowing green when I plugged it in. My salesperson is supposed to call me tomorrow and arrange for the car to be picked up.

I'm a little disappointed that I'm dealing with issues so early. I guess things happen, but will sure miss my ELR while it's in the shop. I absolutely love this vehicle!

Ok, so my salesperson came out to my office this morning to swap out my ELR for a loaner - great customer service! He informed me that according to his Master Technician, only the dashboard indicator and passenger side view mirror illuminate when the car is charging. According to him, there was a decision not to illuminate the driver's side once full production began. He said the videos showing both side view mirrors lighting up were from prototype vehicles. Can any current owners verify this? It's driving me nuts! This is what you call a 1st world problem. I know in the scheme of things its not a big deal, but I'd like to put it to rest once and for all. Thanks all...

Both of my side mirror lights illuminate when charging:

ELR_charging.jpg
    Ormond and EVH5150 like this.

Thanks Blasphemy. I took a screenshot and shared it with my salesperson.

You can also direct the Master Technician to page 9-59 of the Owner's Manual that states, "The vehicle has two ways of monitoring the charging status of the high voltage battery. The Instrument Panel Charging Status Indicator (CSI) is at the center of the instrument panel near the windshield. The LEDs in the Outside Rearview Mirrors (OSRVM) are also used to monitor charging status. Some local laws restricting the use of colored lights on public roads may apply to the outside rearview mirrors charging status feedback. To turn the OSRVM charge indicator off, see 'Charge Status Feedback' in Vehicle Personalization on page 5-52 (Settings --> Vehicle --> Energy --> Charge Status Feedback)."

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

jc....Blast is very, very right and, unfortunately, your sales folks need an update. BOTH mirrors should show charge status and if one is not then it "just ain't connected" as
    Blast surmised.

Thanks for empowering me guys!

Well the saga continues. The problem spread to my headlights yesterday and they would not turn on. I tried all of the settings to no avail. Even the salesperson who picked up the car from my office thought I was doing something wrong, but couldn't get them to work. So, to the shop the car went. I get a call and they tell me that they need to track down a hard to find part and weren't sure when they could get it into stock. Really?!? I've had this car for less than 72-hours and it's already having these sort of issues?

I can tell you that in almost 15 years, I've never had this problem with BMW! As you can imagine, I shared my displeasure! I received a call from the Concierge service this afternoon and they've told me that they will do everything possible to expedite the process and get the car back to me ASAP. Now I just wait! I hope this isn't an omen of what's to come and that I end up regretting my decision to pass on the Tesla for the ELR. I really hope not! I love driving this car. I will keep you posted...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.