My least favorite ELR "feature"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, My least favorite ELR "feature" in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I hate hate hate the loud triple horn honk alert that occurs when I exit the still-running ELR with my ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

My least favorite ELR "feature"

I hate hate hate the loud triple horn honk alert that occurs when I exit the still-running ELR with my key fob! It wakes up the entire neighborhood when I get out of my car late at night to collect my mail from our central mailbox stack. Two neighbors have already asked me why I feel the need to honk my horn every time I get my mail! I was on the phone with the ELR Concierge for 20 minutes with no resolution; there apparently isn't any way to turn off this annoying, brash "feature."

In my 2012 Volt, the "yell at me if I exit the car with my key fob while the car is still running" warning is just a series of chimes inside the car that don't bother anyone. I don't believe there's a way to turn off those chimes, either, but at least those chimes don't wake up the entire neighborhood when I get out of the car to get my mail!

If I'm running into the dry cleaner or getting my mail on a very hot day, I don't want to turn off the car (and, therefore, the air conditioning), and I sure as hell don't want to leave my keyfob in there for a thief to take. (Leaving the keyfob in the car prevents the car from honking when you exit with the engine on.) So it's a Catch-22 x3: scare the crap out of everyone and look stupid, let the car get hot in the California sun, or leave the keyfob in the car to be stolen. What the hell was Cadillac thinking?!?

I realize it's a nanny-state safety feature, but why does it have to be so friggin' loud and unintuitive? At least give me 10 seconds to lock the door (and thereby indicate my intent to leave the car on) from the outside before honking so loudly! I can do this in my Rav4 EV with no problem before the loud beeping begins to warn me that the car is still on.

I'm hoping my dealership has some advanced diagnostic mode setting that it can enter to disable this feature, because it's extremely annoying.

At least I was able to disable the "yell at me if I leave my keyfob in the car with the engine off" warning, which was also annoying.

The ELR also incessantly dings at you when you leave the driver's door open while sitting in it with the car on. The instrument cluster gives me a visual warning that the door is open with an option to dismiss, but when I dismiss the warning, the dinging still doesn't stop. My 2012 Volt does that too, and it's also irritating, but I can disable that dinging by closing the door latch with the tip of my finger while the door is open (remembering to pull the inside door lever before closing the door to open the latch back up); but that trick doesn't work on the ELR. Grrr.....

IMHO, no car manufacturer should put loud alerts like this on a car without giving the driver some way to disable them, FMVSS 49 CFR 571, Standard No. 114, S5.1.3 be damned!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond EXT

Re: My least favorite ELR "feature"

Just shut the car off to check your mail. I do this on my gas powered vehicle. Annoying, yes, but at least it will solve your problem at the meantime.

Cadillac should be aware of this. I would persist that this feature be disabled.

FloridaMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillade View Post
    Just shut the car off to check your mail.
    Would this even work on the ELR? On my XLR, turning off the engine, getting out without closing the door, and getting back in results in the triple-honk when I then close the door.

Cadillade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by BoughtTheXLR
    Would this even work on the ELR? On my XLR, turning off the engine, getting out without closing the door, and getting back in results in the triple-honk when I then close the door.
    I always turn off the car, shut the door and lock it. Then, get your mail, unlock the door, get in, lock your door or start the car, and drive away. It is a hassle, yes, unless there are better ways to get your mail or have them forwarded. Much of the bills can be set up electronically nowadays.

Just shut the car off to check your mail. I do this on my gas powered vehicle. Annoying, yes, but at least it will solve your problem at the meantime.
    Unfortunately, that's not convenient or practical at all, especially if I'm just hopping out for 25 seconds to get the mail. And the whole point is that my new car shouldn't be waking up my entire neighborhood just because I got out of the car with the engine running to get the mail like I've done for 20+ years. Perhaps where you live, it's not 100 degrees in the summer (even at night), so your car doesn't instantly bake when the A/C gets turned off for longer than 5 seconds. And more often than not, this is a problem when I leave the car on in a parking lot while I run into a business and don't want to return to a cooking car. Leave the keys in the car, it can get stolen; turn off the car before going inside, it gets too hot in the California summer global warming heat.

Cadillac should be aware of this. I would persist that this feature be disabled.
    I completely agree, and I am going to push this as high up the ladder as I can until I'm arrested.

For all the amazing customization available on the ELR, I'm very surprised this isn't one of the things I can turn off. I can disable the alert that prevents me from locking my keyfob in the car, so why not the alert that tells me I left my car on? Or give me a prompt when I open the driver door with the engine running that I can dismiss to acknowledge that I'm purposefully leaving on the car. Anything other than how it's so stupidly implemented.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If it only takes you 25 seconds to get out, get the mail, and get back in, I assume the mailbox is very close to where you stop the car? Can't you just leave the fob in the seat for the short time you'll be out of it?

Yes, for the mail it's easy enough if I can remember to take the keyfob out of my pocket or just leave the door cracked open instead of fully closing it. But if I'm in a parking lot on a hot day, I either have to shut off the car then remote start it (and try to get back before 10 minutes have elapsed), or let the car honk away while still running. I admit these honks are not the end of the world, but it's annoyed enough people around me that I really want it to stop. If I accidentally leave the car one day by accident because it didn't honk at me, so be it; but then On*Star should really be able to send me a text through RemoteLink to solve that problem. But there's another GM "feature" that doesn't work right.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Actually, the dinging with the door open/car running is bothersome but not near as bothersome as the extremely low air dam that rubs on most everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
    Actually, the dinging with the door open/car running is bothersome but not near as bothersome as the extremely low air dam that rubs on most everything.
    That doesn't bother me because I'm used to my Volt doing that all the time. At least on the Volt the air dam was replaceable with a higher part that wouldn't scrape as much, but I think the ELR's air dam doesn't have an alternative part. At least with the 20-inch wheels, the ELR is a bit higher off the ground so it doesn't scrape as much as my 2012 Volt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    I'm in a parking lot on a hot day, I either have to shut off the car then remote start it...
    Interestingly enough, if I start the car remotely for pre-conditioning, the ELR also triple honks if I open and close the trunk twice. But I haven't even gotten in the car, yet! And if I walk away, the car will automatically turn off in 10 minutes just like the Volt. So why the annoying triple honk for opening the trunk while being preconditioned? Weird...

Rarcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Geez, just take the key FOB out of the car when you get out and it won't honk the horn! I like the feature in my ATS as I know when I've left the keys in the car.

The ELR triple honks when I take the key fob out of the car, not when I leave it there. On the ELR, there's a setting to turn off the "key fob left in car" warning, but there isn't one to turn off the "key fob removed from car while still running." That's the actual problem we're discussing.

Rarcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Got it, similar to the hybrid cars since you can't hear it running.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    That doesn't bother me because I'm used to my Volt doing that all the time. At least on the Volt the air dam was replaceable with a higher part that wouldn't scrape as much, but I think the ELR's air dam doesn't have an alternative part. At least with the 20-inch wheels, the ELR is a bit higher off the ground so it doesn't scrape as much as my 2012 Volt.
    Not having a Volt I cannot feel that same way. I can, however, say that the air dam is designed with so much projected downforce for the car that driving down a highway is going to mean that every pebble that bounces up is, most likely going to catch the hood. I have installed a self healing paint shield on the car so hopefully that will limit the
    amount of pings I pick up.

BaxterELR is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ELR

Quote Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
    Not having a Volt I cannot feel that same way. I can, however, say that the air dam is designed with so much projected downforce for the car that driving down a highway is going to mean that every pebble that bounces up is, most likely going to catch the hood. I have installed a self healing paint shield on the car so hopefully that will limit the
    amount of pings I pick up.
    Is this something that people are experiencing? Volt or ELR?

The triple-honk alert doesn't happen in the Volt; it's a Cadillac thing. (The Volt just softly dings inside the vehicle until the driver's door is closed.) The only solution I've found is to leave the secondary keyfob in the car at all times. You can still lock the door with your main keyfob (but "proximity auto lock" doesn't work), the car dings at you every time you open the driver door, and a thief who smashes your window could drive off with your ELR (until On*Star locates and turns off the car).

You can't even turn off the car and then immediately remote start for preconditioning without the car triple honking at you if the passenger door or trunk is opened.

Owners who don't have 110-degree heat where they live -- and therefore don't feel the need to leave their ELR running with the A/C on while taking care of short errands -- will never encounter this annoyance.

My wife's Rav4 EV has a similar warning feature to let the driver know he/she left the car running (a loud, continuous high-pitched tone), but the driver can manually disable it by locking the driver's door with a physical key. The car gives the driver 10-15 seconds to take care of this before sounding the alert. Cadillac, on the other hand, prefers to immediately wake up the neighborhood and scare the crap out of everyone nearby without giving the driver any way to disable the alert.

The car actually warns the driver on the Instrument Cluster when the driver's door is opened with the car still running, and the driver can acknowledge that warning by pressing the steering wheel select button. How difficult would it be for Cadillac to allow that manual acceptance of the warning to disable the alert? How difficult would it be for Cadillac to add a "disable vehicle left on" alert setting just like it has a setting to disable the "keyfob left in vehicle" alert?

Apparently it's really difficult, as Cadillac has made it pretty clear to me that they have no interest in improving the C.U.E. system in vehicles that have already been sold. Even though their website promises otherwise:
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.