Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price

Here's an amazing example of how poorly Cadillac does at justifying the price of the ELR:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/re...h-75000-2014-3

When the reviewer asks Chris Thomason (the ELR's chief engineer) why the car has a base price of $75k, Chris answers, "It's an all-in type vehicle, so the base vehicle has all-LED lighting - headlamps and taillamps. As far as the cut & sow interior - the leather, the premium materials - that's base on this car; it's extra on others."

So there you have it: GM believes the ELR is worth $75k because it has LED lights, leather, and wood. Amazing. (As if the Model S and every other car above $50k doesn't also have LED lights and leather.)

No mention of any real expensive features (see below), nor any explanation how this is one of the few concept cars to arrive nearly intact from the futuristic design showcased at the auto shows, nor any attempt to dismiss the premise of the question by demonstrating how the ELR compares to other $75k cars - having all the same luxury features PLUS electric drive PLUS an amazing aesthetic design PLUS an even quieter cabin.

Oh - wait 'til you hear Chris' answer to why someone with $75k should buy an ELR instead of a Tesla! Laughable.

Why are engineers riding around with reviewers instead of marketing people?! Absolutely incredible. If Tesla can sell a $100k car with limited range and few luxury features, why can't Cadillac sell a $75k car with unlimited range and a plethora of luxury features? Ridiculous.

Every single person on this and other forums who diss the ELR as being an overpriced Volt and a waste of money compared to the Telsa has every right to feel that way since GM doesn't seem to know how to communicate the most basic of messages explaining the value inherent in this car.

Why is it so difficult for Cadillac to express why the ELR isn't just a rebadged Volt and has some advantages over the Model S that certain discerning buyers will appreciate more than what Tesla offers? For example, here's a list of everything I could think of in the ELR that you can't get on a Chevy Volt:
    • Regen Paddles
    • Full-speed-range Adaptive Cruise Control
    • Side Blind Zone Alert
    • Lane Departure Warning
    • Forward Collision Alert
    • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
    • superior high-end Bose 10-speaker sound system
    • LED headlamps, daytime running lamps, and taillamps
    • Interior accent lighting
    • Luxury front seats with 20 separate available adjustments
    • accented leather incorporating sueded microfiber, chrome, wood, and carbon fiber finishes
    • key fob tied to the driver's seat & mirror memory positions
    • C.U.E. Infotainment system
    • 20-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS Eco 245/40 tires that provide superior traction
    • fully recalibrated and reprogrammed software for powertrain control systems
    • premium ZF electric power steering system
    • front HiPer Strut suspension
    • rear compound-crank with Watt’s link suspension
    • ZF-Sachs continuous damping control
    • 7.8 seconds from 0-60 in Extended Range (ER) mode
    • superior acceleration from 50-80 in EV mode (and even faster in ER mode)
    • an improved reverse camera
    • acoustically laminated windshield
    • thicker front-door glass
    • liquid-applied sound deadener applied to the floor pan, trunk and roof
    • triple-sealed doors with acoustic perimeter water deflectors
    • mass-efficient sound-absorbing dash mat and carpet system
    • acoustic foam baffles inside body cavities and in between inner and outer quarter panels
    • an isolated front suspension cradle with hydraulic powertrain mounts to isolate road and engine vibration
    • Bose active noise cancellation system
    • Power button moved far away from the Drive Mode button
    • Improved steering wheel controls
    • Heated steering wheel
    • One of the most distinctive, sexy exteriors of any car near its price range
    • And, of course, a powered cup holder cover!
    DPL, Loveldos and RippyPartsDept like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rarcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price

Well Tesla only has one model and I'm sure one day that drivetrain will be shared with other models, nothing wrong with this. The Volt is actually a terrific car and doesn't get the attention it should as its owners survey is quite high in approval rating. Now back to Tesla, although I think it's great that this car is getting the attention and great reviews the cars design, interior remind me of a Kia in quality, looks and features and it definitely needs improving. Now the ELR is a nice car, high quality and cutting edge in design. Overpriced, yes, but not by much. If GM gets wise and gets the price down I think this car could take off in sales.

GIL73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I think I will go for two (2) VOLTS

How will you drive them at the same time? Also, even having two (2) Volts doesn't give you any of the additional features listed above.

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

I was at Ed Morse Cadillac in Sunrise FL Tuesday to have my '13 SRX Premium serviced. I always hangout on the show room floor and they had an ELR with a $82K sticker on the floor. I have been following this vehicle since the concept days and when it was announced for production it went on my short list. I watched the Jay Leno's Garage edition which featured the ELR and I really moved it up that short list until they announced that price. The ELR on the showroom floor had a $2400 interior upgrade and the leather on the seating was fabulous, it was thicker than a premium baseball catchers mitt. I drove a black one they had out back and its really well done, but no way can I pay that kind of money.

spartan1707 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDART View Post
    I was at Ed Morse Cadillac in Sunrise FL Tuesday to have my '13 SRX Premium serviced. I always hangout on the show room floor and they had an ELR with a $82K sticker on the floor. I have been following this vehicle since the concept days and when it was announced for production it went on my short list. I watched the Jay Leno's Garage edition which featured the ELR and I really moved it up that short list until they announced that price. The ELR on the showroom floor had a $2400 interior upgrade and the leather on the seating was fabulous, it was thicker than a premium baseball catchers mitt. I drove a black one they had out back and its really well done, but no way can I pay that kind of money.
    Always being the first at something cost are high. But as the market catches up prices come down. Hell only BMW have step up to the plate.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The first at what? The drivetrain technology was already in the Volt. What "firsts" are in the ELR that costs twice as much to manufacture?

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

I've read that both the Volt and the ELR is a loser when it comes to profit. I understand the Volt strategy in that they are only now getting into more "reasonable" pricing. What I don't understand is why they decided to price the ELR so high. Basic economics mean that if they sell them at such a high price, then it will be low volume. Lower price means high volume, all things being equal (which in the car world, nothing really is). So if they sell them for $55K (BTW, a number many expected), they should sell more right. If they are only selling 100/month, then GM is grossing $7.5 million. However, if they sell 1,000/month (not a totally unreasonable number), then GM is grossing $75 million, and at the same time lowering the cost per unit. Of course, I understand this is way oversimplified and there are a LOT more variables, including "prestige" value for example. I'm just saying with such a beautiful car they would be able to snag a lot more buyers in the $55k range than in the $75K range.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I played around in two ELR's Yesterday and last Saturday.
    Regardless of all of the complaints about price and ect the Interior is the nicest Cadillac interior to date IMO
    The Suede headliner and upper pillars are beautiful compared to sharing the same cheap cashmere material in the Malibu/Cruze like the ATS and CTS does.

KoomsATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy
    Here's an amazing example of how poorly Cadillac does at justifying the price of the ELR: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/re...h-75000-2014-3 When the reviewer asks Chris Thomason (the ELR's chief engineer) why the car has a base price of $75k, Chris answers, "It's an all-in type vehicle, so the base vehicle has all-LED lighting - headlamps and taillamps. As far as the cut & sow interior - the leather, the premium materials - that's base on this car; it's extra on others." So there you have it: GM believes the ELR is worth $75k because it has LED lights, leather, and wood. Amazing. (As if the Model S and every other car above $50k doesn't also have LED lights and leather.) No mention of any real expensive features (see below), nor any explanation how this is one of the few concept cars to arrive nearly intact from the futuristic design showcased at the auto shows, nor any attempt to dismiss the premise of the question by demonstrating how the ELR compares to other $75k cars - having all the same luxury features PLUS electric drive PLUS an amazing aesthetic design PLUS an even quieter cabin. Oh - wait 'til you hear Chris' answer to why someone with $75k should buy an ELR instead of a Tesla! Laughable. Why are engineers riding around with reviewers instead of marketing people?! Absolutely incredible. If Tesla can sell a $100k car with limited range and few luxury features, why can't Cadillac sell a $75k car with unlimited range and a plethora of luxury features? Ridiculous. Every single person on this and other forums who diss the ELR as being an overpriced Volt and a waste of money compared to the Telsa has every right to feel that way since GM doesn't seem to know how to communicate the most basic of messages explaining the value inherent in this car. Why is it so difficult for Cadillac to express why the ELR isn't just a rebadged Volt and has some advantages over the Model S that certain discerning buyers will appreciate more than what Tesla offers? For example, here's a list of everything I could think of in the ELR that you can't get on a Chevy Volt:[*] Regen Paddles[*] Full-speed-range Adaptive Cruise Control[*] Side Blind Zone Alert[*] Lane Departure Warning[*] Forward Collision Alert[*] Rear Cross-Traffic Alert[*]superior high-end Bose 10-speaker sound system[*]LED headlamps, daytime running lamps, and taillamps[*]Interior accent lighting[*] Luxury front seats with 20 separate available adjustments[*]accented leather incorporating sueded microfiber, chrome, wood, and carbon fiber finishes[*] key fob tied to the driver's seat & mirror memory positions[*]C.U.E. Infotainment system[*]20-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS Eco 245/40 tires that provide superior traction[*]fully recalibrated and reprogrammed software for powertrain control systems[*]premium ZF electric power steering system[*]front HiPer Strut suspension[*]rear compound-crank with Watt’s link suspension[*]ZF-Sachs continuous damping control[*]7.8 seconds from 0-60 in Extended Range (ER) mode[*]superior acceleration from 50-80 in EV mode (and even faster in ER mode)[*]an improved reverse camera[*]acoustically laminated windshield[*]thicker front-door glass[*]liquid-applied sound deadener applied to the floor pan, trunk and roof[*]triple-sealed doors with acoustic perimeter water deflectors[*]mass-efficient sound-absorbing dash mat and carpet system[*]acoustic foam baffles inside body cavities and in between inner and outer quarter panels[*]an isolated front suspension cradle with hydraulic powertrain mounts to isolate road and engine vibration[*]Bose active noise cancellation system[*]Power button moved far away from the Drive Mode button[*]Improved steering wheel controls[*]Heated steering wheel[*]One of the most distinctive, sexy exteriors of any car near its price range[*]And, of course, a powered cup holder cover!
    75-85k nowadays isn't a bad and far off price. You seem more upset the car isn't in your price range. If I had a choice and the money, I'd buy the ELR and or the Tesla. Reality is I drive an ATS love it. To each there own, but you shouldn't bash so much.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

He owns an ELR

Quote Originally Posted by KoomsATS View Post
    75-85k nowadays isn't a bad and far off price. You seem more upset the car isn't in your price range. If I had a choice and the money, I'd buy the ELR and or the Tesla. Reality is I drive an ATS love it. To each there own, but you shouldn't bash so much.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    For me, it's not that I can't afford one. I honestly wouldn't want one. I think it's a bit stubby, which is not at all my style, and there are too many swoops and creases in the body (I may have slightly plain tastes ). But looks are subjective, the interior is a very nice place to be, and I won't argue for a minute that it isn't a nice car to own and drive. But while it's far from a rebadged Volt, the whole idea of the Cimarron comes to mind. I just can't see where $40,000 went. I'm having trouble seeing $20,000 worth of extra features/upgraded materials in it. I mean $22,000 gets you a Malibu. THE WHOLE CAR! The body, the engine, the airbags, the tires... Everything. There are almost 2 Malibus worth of upgrades in the ELR over the Volt?

If I liked how it looked, didn't want more performance, and had money coming out of my ears, would I buy one? Sure. But even then I'd think it was overpriced.

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Performance is fine. Handling is great. Comfort is amazing. Drove mine for 4 weeks on $7 worth of gas and actually put some miles on it on two trips. Ended up getting 40mpg on the trips after the initial month, no range anxiety and the car ran flawlessly.
    Priced the Tesla and a comparable one is just north of $100k....so no matter what one compares the ELR to (Cimarron, Volt, etc.) it is at the RIGHT price point for the car and the manufacturer.

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

It would appear that the market disagrees with the price, or does not want the ELR for other reasons.
    On cars, there are currently 1150 listed. With the highest vin now at 1902, it would appear that there are more than 1700 ELRs looking for buyers. That's a heck of a lot of inventory for a vehicle with only 37 discreet combinations of colors & options. 32 Saks editions remain listed, and I'm starting to wonder if they even had orders for all 100. 32 of the first 100 vins are still listed. At the current sales rate, dealer flooring costs are going to be eating heavily into their margins, which isn't good for either the dealers or the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by BoughtTheXLR View Post
    It would appear that the market disagrees with the price
    Which brings us full circle to the original post in this thread. Cadillac not only did a terrible job explaining the price of the ELR, it hasn't even tried to justify it. It's like Cadillac just expects everyone to accept that the ELR is worth $76-$84k and not question it. What high-end product ever sells without the company behind it justifying the price and proactively handling objections? It's like GM forgot everything it learned in Sales 101.

Had Cadillac given the ELR an acceleration worthy of a $76k+ vehicle, it wouldn't have had to justify the price at all. But by being 0.2 seconds slower than the Volt 0-60 in EV mode, it looks like GM said, "whatever" and slapped a pretty exterior on 4-year-old technology, then tried to sell it as if it had Tesla's panache and acceleration.

So why the heck did I choose to get an ELR? Because my lease cost is equivalent to a $60k Lexus thanks to GM Financial's rates, I could afford it without going into debt, and I missed having a luxury car in the garage. But when anyone asks me if they should buy an ELR, I always tell them "only if you won't miss the money you'd spend on it and you don't mind being smoked off the line by a Honda Accord V6."
    BoughtTheXLR and jc4usc like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.