Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Blast: So 0-60 is now the benchmark for price? I have NOT been SMOKED yet...heck...I have not even been challenged. ...
    cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Re: Cadillac's weak attempt at justifying ELR price

Blast: So 0-60 is now the benchmark for price? I have NOT been SMOKED yet...heck...I have not even been challenged. I own, have owned and driven cars that are built for 0-60 and the fact that some of us are talking about 0-60 times in an EREV is pretty mind boggling. The folks that pull up beside me in Tesla's/Honda Accord's, etc. don't do much light-to-light racing. I will admit that Cadillac could have introduced the car with a much stronger marketing plan and I doubt that they are sitting up in Detroit thinking "what we need to do is advertise on The Walking Dead and reduce the price $20k". The torque on the car coming on during active cruise is amazing.....so maybe we need to challenge Tesla from a roll....

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
    Blast: So 0-60 is now the benchmark for price?
    There isn't a single car in the ELR's price range that accelerates so slowly. But there are EVs for less that are much faster. Look at the $50k Rav4 EV that goes 0-60 in 7 seconds. Or the $68k Tesla Model S 60kWh that goes 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

So yes, 0-60 is one significant benchmark for price. It's not the only criteria, but if every other $75k+ vehicle is faster, that will affect sales.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    And if it doesn't have speed to offer, it needs something else to be it worth the premium... Which many people seem to agree it doesn't have.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    And if it doesn't have speed to offer, it needs something else to be it worth the premium.
    Which is why Cadillac has implemented such aggressive lease deals. For the same MSRP of $79k (my ELR w/Luxury Pkg and Adaptive Cruise), a Lexus lease costs well over $1,000 per month (I priced an LS460 before looking at the ELR, with the same $4k down payment, so this isn't speculation). But my ELR doesn't even cost $800 per month, so I'm quite happy: I managed to lease a $79k car for less than the equivalent of a $61k Lexus GS 450h.

And as I've always asserted, if you can afford to buy the ELR at full price without missing the money, it should be at the top of your list if you want electric with no range anxiety and a stunning exterior.

That having been said, I personally would never have paid full price for the ELR, not only because of the lack of comparable acceleration, but because it's missing certain luxury features found in other Cadillac models that cost $10k+ less (like a Head-Up Display and cooled front seats).

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Cadillac leases can't be beat. If your dealer says a monthly payment that is too high, go down $200 and tell him to call you when they get to that price, and walk out. You won't make it out the door before they say OK. Worked for me. An ELR should be a lease deal. Puts' all the depreciation risk in Ally's hands.

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Pretty good review on the ELR along with the Volt and final ELR valuation by the two Smoking Tire testers.

My local dealer just contacted me offering a coupon worth $6,000 on the purchase of a new Cadillac ELR.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The current offers on ELR are very impressive. As far as the comparison to Tesla (and the talk of LEDs and wood being "standard" on every car north of $50k), it's not as true as you think. Tesla definitely packed impressive performance into the car, but keeps the entry cost down by making any semblance of luxury optional. Everything, and I mean everything, is an option on the Model S, even things that are on a $19,000 Ford Fusion. Here's a short list of standard features on the ELR that are optional on the Model S:

LED Running Lights
    Keyless Access
    Electrochromic Mirrors
    Multi Driver Memory settings (seat, mirrors, etc)
    Parking Sensors
    Fog Lamps
    Premium Sound
    XM Radio
    Leather wrapped Dash, Doors and Airbag Cover
    Alcantara Microfiber Headliner
    LED Ambient Lighting
    Heated Seats

Some of those are pretty egregious omissions on a car with a base price in the $60,000 range. In addition to that, take a look at a few of the things not even offered at any price on the Model S:

Onstar
    Smartphone App for locks, starting, tire pressures, etc
    Natural Voice Recognition
    “Regen on Demand” Paddle Shifters
    340 mile range, with the ability to drive straight through with plug-in no recharge
    Side Blind Zone Alert
    Adaptive Cruise Control

The ELR will appeal to folks looking for style and luxury who prefer a more "traditional" ownership and driving experience (aka: not planning trips around charging stations), and like the idea of purchasing from an established manufacturer with a large dealer network. It's a great vehicle, it's just going to take time for word to spread around.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    The current offers on ELR are very impressive.
    The offers are getting there. On cars, we now have 5 dealers offering 10 ELRs (including a Saks) for $10k or more off msrp. Another 5 in the 9-9.9K range. Granted, that's not a lot out of 1500 listed for sale, but it's certainly a good start.

dankumm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoughtTheXLR View Post
    The offers are getting there. On cars, we now have 5 dealers offering 10 ELRs (including a Saks) for $10k or more off msrp. Another 5 in the 9-9.9K range. Granted, that's not a lot out of 1500 listed for sale, but it's certainly a good start.
    Yes I agree. However I still think it needs another 10k off. 20k off total and GM will finally be back to reality.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Strangely enough (or not, depending on your views on the matter) both our ELR buyers so far have been people that didn't care about fuel economy or performance. They have other extremely high end cars at home (Shelby GT500, Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R), and bought the ELR because of the styling, interior and limited nature of it. Neither thought it was overpriced for what they were getting, and neither cared that it wasn't blindingly fast.

It just goes to show that value is in the eye of the beholder. $75k is certainly a lot of money compared to some cars, but it's also quite a bit less than many others. For people more interested in luxury, styling, a unique driving experience and exclusivity than blistering acceleration, the ELR is hard to beat.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

cstegall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, ELR, EXT(gone), ESCALADE(gone)

Tony...you could not be more dead on in your analysis...particularly about the Tesla vs ELR. I have a another car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and is extremely rare to see on the road, however, I have seen more of that car in the last month (2) than I have of the ELR (0). As I have said before, if you buy a Tesla Model S and you load it up it is going to be north of $100k. Exclusivity with the Tesla is non-existent in my neck-of-the-woods as I see many of them in my daily travels. I hope Cadillac continues to improve the car and HOLDS the price structure to insure some amount of "rarity" for it.

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by cstegall View Post
    ... I hope Cadillac continues to improve the car and HOLDS the price structure to insure some amount of "rarity" for it.
    Those strike me as contradictory hopes. If Cadillac holds the price, it's not looking like they will sell very many. At this point dealers have overall far more 2014 ELRs than they are likely to sell this year. So, if you are a dealer, and you have already paid GM for a bunch of unsold 2014 ELRs, how likely is it that you are going to order many (or for that matter ANY) 2015s? Note that for the XLR, Cadillac sold over 8000 before rolling out any significant changes for its 3rd model year.

Over 2100 ELRs have gotten far enough down the assembly line to have been assigned VINs. Fewer than 250 have sold in 4 months. When you come down to it, Cadillac really has only two choices:

1: step up big time to do whatever it takes to bring willing buyers into the showrooms.

2: forget the 2015 model year, and let marketing and the beancounters fight out the question of a refresh based on the 2016 Volt.

al williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 coupe-- manual shift-- 1 of 65 built.

Why should someone buy an ELR instead of a Tesla? Because it is a real car that can be driven anywhere, any distance, not a toy that is dead after a few hours.

I'm still hunting for my next vehicle sometime next year. I bought my current '13 Cadillac SRX Pemium with the intention of handing it over to my wife. I always like the CTS Coupe when it came out as it reminded me of that look I loved so many years ago as a teenager, when I saw the first generation of Eldorados. Then I saw the Converj show car which evolved into the ELR, perfect, better looking than the CTS Coupe and with all those great features features Blastphemy speaks of. Then GM dropped the price bomb, I just have to look at where I would be, after several years down the road of ownership. Now I've started looking at a fully loaded Corvette Stingray (Coupe or Convertible?), which itself has a pretty extensive list of features and costs less than the ELR and will achieve 30 mpg highway with 460 hp on tap. I recently saw one of the Sak's Edition ELRs at the new West Palm Beach Outlet Mall, they are very exclusive in looks, of course the $86K sticker keeps it that way.

1967 Cadillac Eldorado rearleft.jpg
    Texican likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.