screen dimness and reverse camera quality
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, screen dimness and reverse camera quality in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Drove my ELR for the first time at night this evening, and was surprised at how bright the nav screen ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

screen dimness and reverse camera quality

Drove my ELR for the first time at night this evening, and was surprised at how bright the nav screen was at its lowest setting. On my Volt, I can dial it down to near fully dark, but the ELR doesn't let me lower the brightness that much, or even close to it. It's very distracting, and turning off the display completely only lasts about 10 seconds, until the car decides it wants to turn it on again for some unknown reason. Sometimes it's the nav giving directions, but other times the nav keeps going without turning on the screen; or I don't have the nav running at all yet the screen still turns on! I'm gonna have to re-read the manual to see if I'm missing something, here.

The dimming is also a problem with the reverse camera, since - just like the Volt - the camera image doesn't adjust to optimum brightness independently of the dimness setting for the entire system.

Finally, it's the first time I've really looked at the camera image while backing up and, I gotta say, it's disappointing. The image looks like a Photoshop "blur" filter has been applied, and the contrast is mediocre. This camera isn't as bad as my 2012 Volt's camera, but it's sure subpar as compared to my wife's Rav4 EV and the Infinitis I drove since 2007. I've tried cleaning the lens, making sure there isn't a decal over the lens for protection, and trying the camera in different light, but it still looks "blah." Anyone else with an ELR getting this quality of image, or is yours stellar and I should be taking this in to the dealership?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: screen dimness and reverse camera quality

Well, that's disappointing... I confirmed with a couple other people who have ELRs that they experience the same reverse camera problems noted above. I also went to my dealership to test out the two ELRs on the lot and both of them had the same issues, especially in dark places (like a garage) or at night.

So it looks like Volt's crappy camera curse continues in this $79k ELR. Amazing. I just don't get it - the Escalade, XTS, SRX, etc. all have perfectly good backup cameras. Why does the ELR get the short end of the stick, here??

I also confirmed with my two friends that the nighttime luminosity of the nav and instrument cluster screens bothers them too. I really hope GM finds a fix for this annoyance, since not being able to dim the screen enough can be a dangerous distraction at night. It would also be great if the luminosity adjustment worked during the daytime too, especially on dark, cloudy days when the ELR refuses to switch over to an appropriate luminosity because it's DAYTIME. Ugh.

Like any new car, the ELR has a plethora of stupid minor problems that can compound the frustration felt when - in the course of a drive - a driver has to deal with all of them. Hopefully Cadillac does the right thing and fixes them all (i.e., not just on newer builds, but also on the cars bought by us early adopters).

Regardless, it is still quite a joy every time I get into my ELR. The drive is pristine, the quiet is serene, and I love how many heads it turns! Luckily, aside from the low-end camera, every else is more-or-less a software problem. And software can be fixed.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

On the '14 CTS I'd be happy if I could just adjust the focus a little better. Otherwise it gets the job done.

In the ELR, there's an "Illumination Wheel" to the lower left of the steering wheel (next to the parking brake control) that can dial up or down the brightness, but only at night. Problem is, the screens don't get dim enough at night and are very distracting.

I've already contacted my ELR Advisor at (855) 422-3357 and complained. I recommend everyone with an ELR call the Concierge and complain about the too-bright LCD screens. And for good measure, complain that the illumination wheel control doesn't work during the daytime.

I spoke with my ELR Advisor again this morning and reported three problems:

1) The screen cannot be dimmed enough at night, even with the Instrument Panel Illumination Control Thumbwheel all the way down.

2) The Illumination Control Thumbwheel doesn't work during the day, and going to Settings --> Display --> Mode --> Night doesn't enable it.

3) If I go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display, the screen doesn't stay off! I'm not touching it (or any other controls aside from the accelerator, brake, regen paddles, and steering wheel), but it refuses to remain off, both at night and during the day.

Does anyone else experience these issues? (I realize that, in the grand scheme of things, I should be grateful that the only problems I'm having with the ELR are these minor ones! But they should still be fixed, right?)

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

And those things should be easy to fix.

FloridaMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    And those things should be easy to fix.
    Yes, SHOULD be. But on a limited production vehicle, GM may decide doing so is not worth the expense.

For example, my 2008 XLR keeps power on the "lighter" socket for 15-20 minutes until it reaches the power-down-everything timeout. As a result, my music player stays on long after I've walked away. Running through the service manual diagnostics if it stays on at one point the manual says "replace the BCM (body control module)." Dealer verified the problem according to the service manual, installed a new BCM, and problem was still there. BCM firmware obviously was failing to drop power for this circuit when the service manual said it should. Upper echelons of GM Cadillac support decided that instead of fixing the firmware, they would just announce "well, that's how it works." so no fix.

There's a computer term for that -- Works As Implemented.

By the way, GM also decided it was too expensive to keep producing navigation dvds for the 15,000 or so XLRs, so the last one we have available is the 2008 edition whose maps are mostly current to 2006-2007...

Avery323 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Finally saw one here in LA on the road. Black on black. Wow wow wow. It's a looker.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    3) If I go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display, the screen doesn't stay off!
    UPDATE: The screen doesn't stay off if the air conditioning is on! I'm not touching the display (or any other controls aside from the accelerator, brake, regen paddles, and steering wheel), but it refuses to remain off, both at night and during the day. If the air conditioning is set to either Eco, Comfort, or Auto, the display screen will not stay off for more than 3 or 4 minutes, but usually less than 30 seconds.

I can run the A/C on "Min" with Auto off, however, and the screen does not turn on by itself. If the A/C is completely off, the screen never turns on spontaneously.

I've tried it both with Proximity Sensing on and off, and it doesn't make a difference. Even with Proximity Sensing on, when I move my hand towards the turned-off display, nothing happens (when it's working). I can't determine what possible stimulus is causing the screen to turn back on after being turned off. There's no message being displayed, so it's not waking up to give me information.

Even with Proximity Sensing off, the screen turns back on randomly. It happens when I'm on the highway, sitting at a stoplight not moving (neither me nor the car), or parked. Sometimes it's off for 3-5 minutes, other times it only stays off for seconds.

I've also made sure that the weather alerts are turned off, because that did turn on my screen, once, which makes sense.

What a strange bug in the C.U.E. system! Does this also happen to anyone else in their ELR?

ats4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Ive seen previous posts about this. Might be a computer bug.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.