What is the ELR missing that other Cadillacs have? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, What is the ELR missing that other Cadillacs have? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for reminding me about that. I dragged the 'microphone' phone icon from the home screen to the app tray, ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: What is the ELR missing that other Cadillacs have?

Thanks for reminding me about that. I dragged the 'microphone' phone icon from the home screen to the app tray, and now there's one less step to Siri.

Unfortunately, there's no way to add 'Destination' to either the app tray or home screen, nor can I add individual settings to toggle them (like 'Turn Off Display'). Of course, I don't have any room on the app tray since it's limited to 5, and I want audio, phone, nav, climate, and leaf always available. But I also want 'settings', so bummer about not having room for that.

And while I'm thrilled that the ELR added "A/C Off" and "A/C Recirculate" hard buttons to the center console, it's a real shame that it's missing ones for the 'Leaf' screen (which you'd think would be fundamental to the car, like in the Volt!), 'Destination,' and 'Map.'

Guess I'll have to get used to some voice commands so I'm not constantly looking at the center screen for the settings I want!

It's also a shame there's no mute button on the steering wheel like the Volt, and that the "power" button for the stereo is really just that missing mute button (meaning it doesn't stop your iPod from playing when it's pressed, so it has the same infuriating problem as the Volt which I had hoped would be fixed in the ELR).

Oh, well...90% awesome, 10% stupid. Not a bad ratio for a new car! There's definitely room for improvement in the ELR's C.U.E. system, but it's a heck of a lot better than my wife's Rav4 EV, the Fisker Karma's interface, and the Volt.

When will these damned car manufacturers start calling me during the focus group stage so I can set them straight before the car is finished flawed? lol.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Of course, there's the obvious thing the ELR is missing that other Cadillacs have at local dealerships: Buyers!

CC
    Tedboss1 likes this.

ats4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Wonder if my ATS has it and I wonder if it will connect to my android

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    you can eliminate a step by placing a shortcut to the microphone app in the app tray up top that way it's always there without having to hit the home button first...you can place 5 shortcuts in the tray....ELR is due an update at any moment now, ELR is the first cadillac scheduled to receive 'CUE Collections" which is sort of an app store where you can download RDIO, stitcher etc..this was supposed to hit this month, but seems to be late
    I await this like little boy on Christmas Eve.

steve755 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac CTS Coupe

One of my favorite features with leather seating and Premium models of other Cadillacs is a ventilated/cooled seat, had in XLR and CTS, not in the ELR.

TAMU80EE is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    ELR is due an update at any moment now, ELR is the first cadillac scheduled to receive 'CUE Collections" which is sort of an app store where you can download RDIO, stitcher etc..this was supposed to hit this month, but seems to be late
    OK, CUE Collections is NOT on the ELR I just took delivery on a week ago. Is it still coming? Do I just need to have my dealer perform upgrades? Or is it vaporware?

BurnsWRC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I've had three days with my ELR now and I must say CUE is a little disappointing, specifically since I'm also missing the text message feature even if my manual states that it's included, the biggest problem I have is the fact that when I do get a text message not only does the car not notify me and allow me to voice respond or use a preset message but it mutes the message notification ding all together, I have no clue a text message has been delivered if the phone is paired on Bluetooth. Second when I select my iphone as an audio source if I don't have the music app open and running it won't detect the audio source at all. I hope Caddy plans to release an update to CUE for this, seems like an easy fix and I've read a few other owners experience the same issues.

CTSVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR, 2009 CTS-V (sold), 2010 Escalade Hybrid (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    It's also a shame there's no mute button on the steering wheel like the Volt, and that the "power" button for the stereo is really just that missing mute button (meaning it doesn't stop your iPod from playing when it's pressed, so it has the same infuriating problem as the Volt which I had hoped would be fixed in the ELR).
    I thought the "hang up" button mutes the stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    Of course, there's the obvious thing the ELR is missing that other Cadillacs have at local dealerships: Buyers!

CC
    Ouch, that really hurt! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
    I've had three days with my ELR now and I must say CUE is a little disappointing, specifically since I'm also missing the text message feature even if my manual states that it's included, the biggest problem I have is the fact that when I do get a text message not only does the car not notify me and allow me to voice respond or use a preset message but it mutes the message notification ding all together, I have no clue a text message has been delivered if the phone is paired on Bluetooth. Second when I select my iphone as an audio source if I don't have the music app open and running it won't detect the audio source at all. I hope Caddy plans to release an update to CUE for this, seems like an easy fix and I've read a few other owners experience the same issues.
    I agree, it would be nice if the text message feature worked/existed. Fortunately I have a Samsung Gear smartwatch and I can just see the message on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSVeee View Post
    I thought the "hang up" button mutes the stereo?
    Yes, I discovered that eventually. Let's see if anyone can find that in either of the two ELR manuals...nope! And since many ELRs didn't come with a C.U.E. Infotainment manual, one would never know that it was on page 12 and 96.

Same here, i found that out the hard way, someone wanted to ask me about the car so i opened the window, the music was a little loud and i couldnt figure out how to lower the volume quickly enough to start the conversation with the person. Eventually i just tapped the hang up button and was surprised to see it was also a mute button. Another piece of info that could have been useful.

I did run into something a little strange yesterday. I couldnt activate the AC unit by hitting the "Auto" button when i was on the phone. I had to go into the climate control on cue and manually turn it on, is this a known issue?

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Generally when you get a phone call, the climate system drops to low fan speed, to reduce background noise. Not sure if this is what you were experiencing.
    I sometimes have to tell my callers "my car is just too hot and the A/C is on hold while I am on the phone, I GOTTA hang up!"
    Today I got a call from onstar that I just ignored because I needed the A/C more than knowing what they wanted...

Mike-Mike is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS AWD, Premium

Quote Originally Posted by steve755 View Post
    One of my favorite features with leather seating and Premium models of other Cadillacs is a ventilated/cooled seat, had in XLR and CTS, not in the ELR.
    my CTS is the first car that I've ever had with ventilated seats, and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another car without them

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    Generally when you get a phone call, the climate system drops to low fan speed, to reduce background noise. Not sure if this is what you were experiencing.
    I sometimes have to tell my callers "my car is just too hot and the A/C is on hold while I am on the phone, I GOTTA hang up!"
    Today I got a call from onstar that I just ignored because I needed the A/C more than knowing what they wanted...
    Interesting, my AC unit was off to begin with because I generally like to drive with my window open, that being said when I got the call, I rolled up my windows and wanted to activate the AC but I couldnt by hitting the "auto" button, had to go in manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    my CTS is the first car that I've ever had with ventilated seats, and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another car without them
    I asked around about this feature and why it was omitted in the ELR, and apparently cooled seats do take up a ton of electric juice, I can understand why they wouldn't include that in the ELR although I can imagine it being a fantastic option.

FloridaMatt is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

I asked around about this feature {cooled seats} and why it was omitted in the ELR, and apparently cooled seats do take up a ton of electric juice, I can understand why they wouldn't include that in the ELR although I can imagine it being a fantastic option.
    There's "cooled" and there's "ventilated". And the power requirements vary. Just plain ventilated seats don't draw much power, because they are just fans, and you can't crank them up terribly high without creating noise issues. And there's a couple ways to do "cooled". The XLR has a peltier junction unit and a fan. Lincoln's MKZ and MKC cool the seats by directing some air conditioned air to them, so like ventilated seats there's just a little extra power needed for the fans.

And just as the driver can decide how much power is to be used for air conditioning, the use of seat cooling or ventilation IS optional -- IF you have it available.

With the ELR, the "how it looks" designers prevailed over the "luxury features" engineers. Harley Earl would have been proud.

I asked around about this feature and why it was omitted in the ELR, and apparently cooled seats do take up a ton of electric juice, I can understand why they wouldn't include that in the ELR although I can imagine it being a fantastic option.
    This is a good example of why the ELR isn't getting the love from many potential customers. What kind of stupid GM logic determines available features on a car based on the amount of potential electricity they use? As if cooled front seats don't decrease gas mileage in non-electric cars! Why doesn't GM just limit the ELR to 35 mph if it wants to maximize the ELR's range, or get rid of the automatic windows, or remove the subwoofer, or decrease the potential acceleration to 20 seconds 0-60?

If a driver wants more EV range or better gas mileage, then don't use the cooled seats! But if it's hot and you'd rather be comfortable and lose a few miles, then give the owner of an $80k car the option to cool his seat! Dumb dumb dumb dumb. XTS, CTS, ATS, Escalade, and SRX all have cooled seats available. I guess those models aren't expensive enough to warrant "normal" non-ventilated seats!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.