Consumer Reports dismisses the ELR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Consumer Reports dismisses the ELR in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Consumer Reports dismisses the ELR

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...brid/index.htm

"Even after driving one for 10 days, itís hard to define the Cadillac ELR. The rich brother of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, the ELR applies the same basic technology to a rakish luxury coupe. While the concept is compelling, the end result just doesnít add up to the heady sticker price."

"In theory, a head-turning Cadillac with all the trimmings should be worth more than a well-outfitted compact sedan, and thus help its maker cover the cost of the battery technology. Thatís all well and good, but Cadillac set the base price of the ELR at $75,000, before adding in $900 for delivery, and deducting $7,500 for a federal tax credit. Thatís $40,000 more than a Volt! And for that kind of scratch, you could buy a car in a whole different league, like an Audi A7 TDI or Tesla Model S. That leaves us wondering, who will buy this car?"

"Donít get us wrong, itís a lot nicer to drive than a Volt. You can barely hear the gas engine when it comes on. The steering is tight and responsive, although saying itís as agile as the new CTS would be wrong."

"But, ultimately, driving the ELR feels rather ordinary. It lacks the zip one might expect from a high-priced coupe. Being a rolling sculpture, visibility is very limited."

"Still, as nice as the ELR is, we couldnít escape the feeling driving it around that for this kind of money, weíd a lot rather be piloting a Tesla, which is a lot quicker, sportier, and roomier, and gives you a whole lot more electric range. One staff member dismissed the ELR as a $75,000 version of the Chevrolet Cruze (on which the Volt and the ELR are, indeed, based). Ouch!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    If they priced this car at $58,000 it would be all the rage !!!! I said it a few times on this forum but I can't imagine how they could price the new Corvette stingray at 52,000 loaded to the nines 67,000 and could not prices ELR way lower then the current insane price of $75 k.

Such a shame as all the press has gotten negative only because of the price , it is a beautiful beautiful car that for somewhere in the high 50s or low 60s would be selling like hotcakes !

Rarcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: Consumer Reports dismisses the ELR

Isn't that the truth. I hope the GM decision maker on this cars price heads chopped for destroying what could of been. Now Cadillacs the joke again with the Cimmeron, Volt comparison.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

Re: Consumer Reports dismisses the ELR

I'd be amazed if they sold 1,000 nationally. Though I think it is a great car at $50k

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade
    I agree.... I think it looks great, and seriously would consider the vehicle... Until I saw the price. About 15k too much for MSRP. I still might try to lowball on the price substantially... If no one is interested I may get it for cheap!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.