Autoweek ELR Rosd Test
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Autoweek ELR Rosd Test in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, it ain't pretty ! As expected Autoweek rips the new ELR apart especially on the " Volt" with a ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Well, it ain't pretty ! As expected Autoweek rips the new ELR apart especially on the " Volt" with a Caddy logo for double the price angle/ fact. For double the price of Volt the ELR needed to have more then what Volt offers While I think the car looks beautiful the Insane price is the main cause of the complaints

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/131129851

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddyhills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Autoweek ELR Rosd Test

Really good read - this is exactly my opinion of the car and also of the XTS even the V Sport version - it s time to send the middle road mentality to pasture.

Build the ATS, CTS - V Sports and Vs, the the Escalade and get the ELMIRAJ to production and call it a product lineup.

The ELR is no Converj - not even close in design.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ELR is not an issue and is a great car. Tell me why a BMW 6 cost that much more than a BMW 5. Have you seen the price difference for basically the same car but in two door guise and now it has 4 with less room. Still they love it and eat it up because it is a BMW. The hate for the ELR comes one from it being an American car, 2 being based from the Volt and not the reason you think. Rather for some people in this country the Volt is a symbol of hate and I'm going to leave it there. Finally the last issue is one of age and concepts. Sorry but older car guys and just static and they can't change. They see a brand one way and that is just it and they will never be at piece with GM charging those prices. Look at how they love the BMW i8 and tore the Volt to shreds on pricing when it was near 40K. They just have to die out and Cadillac needs to stay the course for younger more advanced buyers.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    ELR is not an issue and is a great car. Tell me why a BMW 6 cost that much more than a BMW 5. Have you seen the price difference for basically the same car but in two door guise and now it has 4 with less room. Still they love it and eat it up because it is a BMW. The hate for the ELR comes one from it being an American car, 2 being based from the Volt and not the reason you think. Rather for some people in this country the Volt is a symbol of hate and I'm going to leave it there. Finally the last issue is one of age and concepts. Sorry but older car guys and just static and they can't change. They see a brand one way and that is just it and they will never be at piece with GM charging those prices. Look at how they love the BMW i8 and tore the Volt to shreds on pricing when it was near 40K. They just have to die out and Cadillac needs to stay the course for younger more advanced buyers.
    Reuben. Your way off base here. The ELR is based off a $17,000 Chevy Cruz ( like Volt). The car is really nice but since it has the same underpinnings and power train as the Chevy Volt it can never justify the near $80 k price tag. Read the Edmunds.com review as they really capture all the positives but IMHO are very honest on the negatives.

Oh one more thing. The press has been EXTREMELY positive with cars coming from GM. Because GM has been making world class cars and world beating cars. This months Car and Driver had the new CTS and Stingray in their 10 best , first time 2 GM products made their list. Great press out there including the new CTS beating the BMW 5 Seres. ELR at the price point is a flop and amongst all the positive GM press of late it is bringing up too much negative. If I were the CEO I would be forced to offer a $12,000 rebate for everyone buying an ELR

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44 View Post
    ELR is not an issue and is a great car. Tell me why a BMW 6 cost that much more than a BMW 5. Have you seen the price difference for basically the same car but in two door guise and now it has 4 with less room. Still they love it and eat it up because it is a BMW. The hate for the ELR comes one from it being an American car, 2 being based from the Volt and not the reason you think.
    Most telling is when the same source looks at the ELR and the 2014 CTS. There's no "American car" hate for the CTS. Even the BMW-lovers at Autoweek had to admit (http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/130919837) that
    "Cadillac would really love for you to think that the BMW 5-series has bloated out and that its CTS is the new action hero in the midsize performance sedan segment. While not counting out the Bimmer just yet, we'd say be sure to drive a CTS before you buy anything in this segment."

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Yup, definitely way off base. Rebadge/rebrand engineering needs to die. Want a premium electric hybrid for Cadillac? Go build it, don't rebadge a Volt. Cimarron, Catera...oh God not again! Will you EVER learn!!!???

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Yup, definitely way off base. Rebadge/rebrand engineering needs to die. Want a premium electric hybrid for Cadillac? Go build it, don't rebadge a Volt. Cimarron, Catera...oh God not again! Will you EVER learn!!!???
    Sharing a 'same' platform, okay I'll give you that; but rebadged Volt, not hardly. I'm not defending the ELR (for I believe that Cadillac is way out of line in their pricing); however, Cadillac probably has an agenda (for ELR) that we are not privy to. There would be far less consternation had the ELR debuted at, say 60 thousand; that didn't happen so if it doesn't float your boat, fine, shop elsewhere. I'm thinking we just don't know the 'whole' story. JMO

An agenda that smacks of old tactics. Not a shopper of the ELR at any price frankly as it doesn't fit my car needs. As a shareholder I'm interested in seeing GM make better decisions for their future. The Volt underpinnings are not befitting of a car wearing the Cadillac badge. Regardless of their so called long term or short term "agenda" they've stepped on their collective dicks here and it just smells like old GM.

Next you're going to tell me that some accountant made a decision to use a $1.80 door handle versus a $5 door handle. Now that would really signal to me that GM has not learned their lessons after I bailed them out.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    An agenda that smacks of old tactics. Not a shopper of the ELR at any price frankly as it doesn't fit my car needs. As a shareholder I'm interested in seeing GM make better decisions for their future. The Volt underpinnings are not befitting of a car wearing the Cadillac badge. Regardless of their so called long term or short term "agenda" they've stepped on their collective dicks here and it just smells like old GM. Next you're going to tell me that some accountant made a decision to use a $1.80 door handle versus a $5 door handle. Now that would really signal to me that GM has not learned their lessons after I bailed them out.
    You must be one rich son of a gun if " you " bailed out GM !.. Lol. .

I agree with you on this decision being a poor one but it's not really old GM. The ELR is no rebadge as a matter if fact if you compare it to Escalade vs Tahoe the ELR is much more " original then Volt. I think what the boys did was try to capture Tesla client base and doing their demographic homework they realize that the Tesla clients are the wealthiest in the country and would pay big bucks for ELR. You know what if ELR offered double the range of volt they would ! But with the identical range as Volt and identical performance ELR is falling in its face at $75 k. Yes it's gorgeous , but asking $20 k more then Volt would have covered the price if this ELR. Oh well. Maybe they have a new powerpak com ring ??

IMHO the only "old GM" we will see is the "good ole GM". When engineers and designers ran the shop and the dollars followed industry leading designs. No worries it's happening just look at the quality and lineup. We have to let this ELR thing go...

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    You must be one rich son of a gun if " you " bailed out GM !.. Lol. .

IMHO the only "old GM" we will see is the "good ole GM". When engineers and designers ran the shop and the dollars followed industry leading designs. No worries it's happening just look at the quality and lineup. We have to let this ELR thing go...
    If you pay taxes...then we all did. Agreed, they're putting out great product (C7, Sierra/Silverado, Malibu, Enclave, ATS, Etc.) Just want to ensure the culture changes.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

If you pay taxes...then we all did.
    Yup, about $72 per taxpayer, on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    Yup, about $72 per taxpayer, on average.
    Whoa. Didn't realize it was that high.

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

Whoa. Didn't realize it was that high.
    Yeah it's that high. Almost 4x the ANNUAL cost to taxpayers for the oil companies tax breaks.

DG2
    Don't sweat it, just think about all of our tax money that goes to help countless foreign countries much of which we don't even know about. That foreign aid money does not come back like the bailout money did with profit.

IMHO The government should've given the money to General Motors considering decades worth of setting an unfair playing field with the foreign competition using slave labor or labor substantially less than that of America and dumping their products in the USA. Regardless and thankfully it all has a very very happy ending we all should be very proud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.