Any juicy details on the Saks version?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Any juicy details on the Saks version? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got an email about the SAKS edition of the ELR. But not much detail on what's different with this ...
    speedbump49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe RWD

Any juicy details on the Saks version?

I got an email about the SAKS edition of the ELR. But not much detail on what's different with this edition, including the price. Any insiders/dealers have more info that they can share?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: Any juicy details on the Saks version?

I called the number and got this information about the Saks Fifth Avenue ELR:

- It costs $89,500.00 inclusive of the destination charge; but sales tax, document fees, DMV, etc. are extra.
    - Comes fully loaded with all available packages.
    - Only comes in White Diamond Tricoat (which will not be offered for the regular ELR).
    - Offers customers a choice of Light Cashmere or Jet Black interiors.
    - Includes a Cadillac-branded 240V charging station and up to $3,000 of installation fees.
    - Only available to U.S. residents.
    - The person to whom I spoke was not aware of any lease rates, nor if leasing would even be possible for this version.
    - The person also didn't know if the car would have a Saks Fifth Avenue badge on the car.

So if my local Cadillac dealership was accurate on the normal fully-loaded cost of approx. $82,000, then a customer would be paying a $7,500 premium for the white exterior and an EVSE (wall charger).

Here's the link, in case you're interested:
    http://emails.cadillac.com/w/webView...H&sc=&k=16N8G_

speedbump49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe RWD

Thanks Blastphemy. What a bargin!

Bargain? $98,226.25 inclusive of Los Angeles sales tax for a fancier Volt with special white exterior is a bargain? Not sure that's the word I would have used...

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I just ordered 2 ! Once I heard they threw in the charging station along with the same color every single Caddy, Buick, Chevy is available in ( white diamond) I just couldn't resist.

Oy

^ awesome, DG2!

While I do concede there's some justifiable price premium for a Cadillac over a Chevrolet, I just can't get past...

1) Volt has 38-mile range, while ELR has 35-mile range
    2) Volt has convenient hatchback allowing a lot of storage, while ELR just has a small trunk (although the rear seats do fold forward)
    3) Volt has four doors, while ELR only has two
    4) Volt has four seats, and ELR has four seats, so no improvement
    5) Volt interior doesn't work well for people over 6'2", and ELR is even more cramped, especially in the back seat
    6) Volt accelerates 0-60 in 8 seconds, and GM says ELR does it in 7 seconds - fractionally better
    7) Volt has front-wheel drive, and ELR has front-wheel drive, so no improvement

Of course, the ELR will come with C.U.E.; power seats with memory; possibly heated and cooled front seats; a better suspension; nicer tires, better handling; available adaptive cruise control; available hi-tech features like Cross-Traffic Alert and Lane Departure Warning; and other improvements. But do those features (which are and have been available on less expensive cars), plus the Cadillac badge, really justify a $35,000 premium over a fully-loaded Volt? And is getting one of only 100 Saks 5th Avenue editions in Buick White Diamond Tricoat with a "free" charging station worth an additional $7,500?

For GM's sake, I hope a lot of people see that value and make the ELR a success. But I'd rather buy both a Volt and a Rav4 EV for that amount of money

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

White Diamond would be the best color for it--but it needs a few additional "extras" to justify the bump in price from a base ELR. Perhaps unique wheels, a special grill and a few added emblems or the new "wreathless" emblem for its emblems? Of course, many will be bought by speculators due to the limited production, but with a few added extras, there could have been even more produced and sold for the premium price.

FloridaMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR Saks Edition

Yeah, I was hoping for white to be available. But, no hint anywhere that ventilated seats (or, better, cooled seats like the XLR) would be available. And the picture of the fancy seats shows no perforations, so I'm guessing they were seen as too much battery drain. It's a pity, but it's becoming clear the ELR is not intended to be a top-of-the-line car like the XLR was. To me, not worth the ask.

I've still got a tough decision. Do I hope it's a spectacular fail sales-wise so this time next year I can think about a heavily discounted one? Or do I hope it's a success so in a year or two a used one will be only reasonably depreciated.

I thought the ELR was going to include heated and cooled seats too, but there's no mention in the most recent spec sheet. On a whim, I called the Saks Fifth Avenue ELR hotline and was told the seats are not cooled or ventilated.

Spec sheet for the 2014 ELR that was released on Friday November 15, 2014:
    • The battery capacity is 16.5 kW-hr, not the 17 that has been speculated.
    • Gas generator specs are identical to Volt
    • Fuel economy is claimed only 33 MPG combined (same line on Volt spec sheet says 37)
    • MG power is greater for ELR:
      ELR- Motors (two): 157 -181 hp / 117-135 kW max drive power; 55 kW generating power
      Volt- Motors (two); 149 hp / 111 kW max drive power; 54 kW generating power
    • "Total System Power" = 162 kWh
    • ELR Torque: (lb-ft / Nm): 295 / 400
    • Volt Torque: (lb-ft/Nm): 273 / 368
    • 0-60 mph: 7.8 sec. – range extending mode 8.8 sec. EV mode
    • ELR Top Speed = 106 (Volt=100)
    • EV Range = 37 miles
    • Suspension has "driver selectable modes"
    • Front disc rotors ELR = 12.6" Volt = 11.8"
    So remind me again what I'm getting for my $89,500? A slightly higher top speed that I'll never hit, fractionally faster acceleration, C.U.E., and power seats? Thanks, I'll pass. That's barely a $60,000 car, IMHO.

swgyoooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Premium 3.6 AWD

Some tough news yesterday for Cadillac, ELR, and Saks. They kept the special edition at a very, very low number of 100. People needed to call in to get assigned a number in order to "grab" a Saks Edition. Well, they did not move all 100 through the program. Dealers are now able to able to order the Saks Edition and offer the charging station to the buyer.

I know GM, Cadillac, and Saks were hoping for the same kind of success that Nieman Marcus has had, but what a flop! ELR looks great, and has a level of technology that will appeal to the niche buyer. Sorry things have to start this way.

What is your source, swgyoooo? I couldn't find any reference to this anywhere else to corroborate your story. Doesn't seem accurate since no ELRs have been delivered, yet, and Saks wouldn't just give away those sales.

There isn't a single article online that supports swgyoooo's assertion that the Saks 5th Avenue ELR sales have fallen short and that dealerships can now order it, so we should treat his report with a lot of healthy skepticism. It's one thing to post negative opinions about the ELR (as many of us are doing), but to label negative wishful thinking as a fact is dishonest and corrupts the conversation.

Date: 12/04/2013 Ref. number: Sales / New Vehicles / G_0000180635
    Subject: 2014 ELR White Diamond Special Edition Package...Available For Dealer Requests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: Cadillac ELR Certified Dealers:

In October, we announced a special-edition White Diamond ELR in partnership with Saks Fifth Avenue. As we’ve heard from numerous dealers who'd like to have the vehicles for stock units, we're happy to announce a limited number of pre-ordered vehicles are being made available to certified ELR dealers at an MSRP of $89,500. Please note that only 100 total Saks ELR units are available, and that any units requested will count against the MIN/MAX quantities communicated to you in October. Also, only dealers who have completed (or enrolled for classes with wait lists) their ELR Certified training are eligible to request these vehicles. Once the ELR Concierge has confirmed training status the request will be confirmed and the official order number will be issued. The Saks units each include a premium 240V charging station and installation service by Bosch which will be honored when final delivery takes place to the retail customer. Please contact the ELR Concierge at 1-855-xxx-xxxx, or by email at xxxxxxxxxx@gm.com to request your White Diamond ELR.

I didnt think my post was negative wishful thinking. As you can see, I have attached the GM notification. Contact any Cadillac dealer to confirm.

----------

Please see the posted GM message. Next time you should probably check your sources better before you accuse someone of being dishones or corrupt.

----------

I posted a copy of the dealer notificationl. I was not being dishonest or corrupt. I wish the ELR all the success in the world. If stocking a White Diamond helps sales, all the better for everyone involved, but nothing I said was untrue.

Thank you for posting that notice to GM dealers. As expected, it does NOT explicitly state that the reason dealers are getting access to some Saks Fifth Avenue ELRs is because Saks direct orders have fallen short. While that may be the case, it's more likely that some dealers were upset at not being able to also sell these white ELRs, and made those concerns known to GM.

If you read the notice, it says that GM had committed to, and will still only build 100 units of the Saks Edition. Period.

----------

Dealers are not going to ordering White Diamond ELRs. They are going to be ordering the remaining White Diamond Saks Fifth Avenue Edition available units. Dealers will need to treat these units just like all the other Saks Edition units. The ultimate customer still gets the 220v unit installed as well. GM committed to 100 units and is going to get them allocated and on the ground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.