Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ELR price announced

8K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Koooop 
#1 ·
Well, that's the end of that... http://www.cadillac.com/future-cars/elr-electric-car/reservation.html

No way I'm paying a starting price of $75,000 for a "prettier" Volt when I could pay the same amount for a somewhat tricked out 60kWh Tesla Model S (or nearly half that for a fully-loaded Volt). Major fail. Now at least I can save some time by not perusing all these ELR message Boards daily!

#3 ·
ah, but how far can the tesla model s get on a charge?

how long would it take to drive from boston to DC? miami to charleston? la to sf? dallas to chicago?

the point i'm making is that an extended range vehicle like the ELR (or Volt) is more flexible than a full electric like the model s
when the battery pack in full electric cars can get them the at least the distance that extended range vehicles get there can be a better comparison
but for now only eco-purists and the eco-trendy rich will go for the full electric

anecdotally i saw my first model s in the wild last week driving in town towards the beach
it had tennessee plates and looked like it had been on the road for a day or two...
after admiring the car for a minute while we went stoplight to stoplight for a mile or so it occurred to me that if that car came from basically just across the NC/TN border and drive all the way across the state of NC in the most direct route (least miles) that would be about 400 miles ... how long would that take in a model s? (even if they had supercharging stations, which they don't yet)
in an extended range vehicle it would take 6-7 hours and you might not even need to stop for gas

#5 ·
$75,000 unbelievable.... it just shows there is still plenty of the old arrogant GM mentality lingering around. Look for steep discounts on this car months after the introduction, if GM had half a brain they would have priced it around $50-55. The R&D expenses on this car were already taken care (courtesy of the Volt) so all they had to do is upgrade the materials but these changes do not justify the asking price.

Cadillac needs to get continuity in the line-up line the CTS model (the ATS should also has a bright future) instead of doing half baked attempts on new models only to abandon them after the first generation. You are never going to get good resale values with these tactics nor a loyal following. For brand/model continuity just look at BMW their 3,5,6, and 7 series they have been around for generations, they are well recognized, and have a loyal following.

#6 ·
I agree. At 60-65, I was sold. At 75+, I'll buy a Model S (or maybe a model X next year). Most of my driving is local, and Superchargers are coming. If that changes, I'll get a Volt - and the prices on those are dropping.

This is the second time in a few weeks that GM has succumbed to the easy spreadsheet math of higher pricing to show better profits, without considering the very real effect of the competitive market - the other being on the new trucks, which start well above what makes sense.

#7 ·
This is beyond stupid. I think someone at GM got the new Corvette Stingray price mixed up with the new ELR. How gm can have the stunning stingray start at $51 k and the ELR at $75 is a head scratcher. Sports car buyers would still buy Stingrays if they started at $75k but nobody is buying an ELR for that price.

Plus you can get the Tesla for that money that will go three times the range on a charge. Little too much cockiness boys

#8 ·
My thoughts exactly when I saw the price: no more checking to see if the ELR will be my next car. The answer is clearly no!!!! The expected price of $60K was a stretch but $75K, no way. I'm sure that $15K price difference will lose a lot of customers, so much so that I doubt that it lasts beyond 2-3 model years. That makes me sad, because I had a lot of hopes for this car. The Tesla comparison is too obvious since to me I'm a coupe man and the Tesla S was not on my radar anyway. I think people looking at a Tesla S wouldn't be cross shopping the ELR. Coupes are more of a niche than the sedans anyway so I don't expecta big volume selling electric, but it's as if GM is trying to kill off the electric (again?).

The ELR is definitely a sexy car, but so is a Ferrari. Doesn't mean I can afford either one now. I'm extremely disappointed in GM on this one. I understand that ALL electric cars of all makes and models actually lose money on every one sold, but you have to build a base somehow. GM has the resources to really outsell the competition like Tesla and BMW's electric models, but they chose to go in the wrong direction with this.

Here's a link to how I first found out and I came straight to this forum to see that others share my disappointment. I'll check back in when the dust settles.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/cadillac-elr-priced-at-75995-goes-on-sale-in-january-2014/

#9 ·
Yep.

I've been about to buy my first GM since 1996 when I saw this. $75K? I'd have gone for 55K easy, but for 75K i'll get a sports car like an Audi S5 Convertible, or a Tesla because range isn't a concern for me.

If they had some amazing residual and low mileage lease, maybe, but no way at that price, really bummed I was pretty excited about this.

#10 ·
I am amazed and so disappointed with GM. What are they thinking pricing this car at $75K!? This is a Volt with nicer appointments and they would of have had such a larger market if they had priced them where there worth, $60-65K prior to incentives. They will sell the few they'll produce but be badged early as a long term failure. Oh the American greed machine continues. My deposit will be asked to be returned, sadly so.

#11 ·
Had a jaw drop, eye bulge moment this morning when I saw the starting price...Really GM? Been enjoying my Premium CTS Coupe for three years - amazing car, great price point, which IMHO GM/Cadillac has to maintain to grow market share - and was excited about the ELR thinking it would be around mid 50s, but $75,000? Did it get to GM's head this fast? Really?

#12 ·
didn't people say the same thing about the volt?

"it's too expensive!!"

the volt (at the time it came out and probably for at least another year or more) had the nicest interior of all Chevrolet models
GM did not want to cheap out and be accused of being up to "the old GM tricks"
and the same thing is happening here with Cadillac and the ELR but apparently they just can't win either way

Cadillac is no longer a value luxury brand... you don't buy an ELR thinking that you'll save enough money in gas that you will offset the cost of the vehicle
that's the value proposition approach and value conscious consumers will gravitate towards the vehicle that is engineered at the crossroads of value and profit (prius, volt, etc) or worse ...
people will buy the ELR because they like the way it looks, they like it's technology, they're eco-friendly but can afford (and want) a car nicer than the volt/prius/etc

at least that's my impression of the situation
the ELR will be worth it to those who can afford it
and it's not meant to be affordable by all (not even by all Cadillac owners)

#14 ·
The one thing your missing here is Cadillac's should be cheaper here in America not priced like the euro cars. Besides you don't see Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura doing this. Don't get me wrong here if the ELR would have been more like the Elmiraj and not like a rebadged volt with a fancy interior nobody would be harping about the price. I mean come on a 2 door compact coupe costing that much really.

#13 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
didn't people say the same thing about the volt? "it's too expensive!!" the volt (at the time it came out and probably for at least another year or more) had the nicest interior of all Chevrolet models GM did not want to cheap out and be accused of being up to "the old GM tricks" and the same thing is happening here with Cadillac and the ELR but apparently they just can't win either way Cadillac is no longer a value luxury brand... you don't buy an ELR thinking that you'll save enough money in gas that you will offset the cost of the vehicle that's the value proposition approach and value conscious consumers will gravitate towards the vehicle that is engineered at the crossroads of value and profit (prius, volt, etc) or worse ... people will buy the ELR because they like the way it looks, they like it's technology, they're eco-friendly but can afford (and want) a car nicer than the volt/prius/etc at least that's my impression of the situation the ELR will be worth it to those who can afford it and it's not meant to be affordable by all (not even by all Cadillac owners)
True about Volt. BUT at $75k your in Tesla territory. Volt was in a league of its own and still is in that price. Nobody expects Caddy to be a discount luxury brand nor should we wants them to he. However, $60,000 ain't cheap and that should be the price of the ELR. Look. It's a hot looking car and I hope they sell a ton of them. I'm a huge GM fan and for that price I would take a Tesla over ELR. Not too late to edit that price point.

#15 ·
If the car were priced less they would sell more and ultimately make this car a success. The Volt is mentioned but they have had to reduce the price by $5,000, a big percentage of the sticker price. You can say what you want but this car at this price with its technology, gas and electric, will not make it in the long run and yes Mr. Dealer you will sell the few that are being produced but it will not be a large scale success at this price level, especially when it's a two door car, limited rear seat room and basically a sub-compact car. I own a ATS Performance and love it, priced high but this car is worth the $ I paid. You can buy a lot of gas for the difference in price plus the ELR looks like any other Caddy, especially the CTS coupe.

#16 ·
Well their are no places to charge a Tesla Model S where I live so the ELR makes a whole lot more sense . My neighbor has a Volt and a Model S and they never drive the Model S cause they can't charge it but the Volt can just go to the gas station and get gas . What good is an electric car if you can't use it ?

#17 ·
studio caddi said:
Well their are no places to charge a Tesla Model S where I live so the ELR makes a whole lot more sense . My neighbor has a Volt and a Model S and they never drive the Model S cause they can't charge it but the Volt can just go to the gas station and get gas . What good is an electric car if you can't use it ?
Tesla can go 200-300 plus miles per charge to volts 35. Totally different league. If your driving more then 200 miles per day then any electric car should not be in your garage. ---------- Just goggled all the press reviews or ELR and they are all over the price. Man is it a stunning car , whoever picked this price point at GM should be shown the door. They should know the negative press would outweigh anything this inflated price point would net.

#18 ·
Certainly got a sticker shock. What are they thinking? The ELR is the same price as the Escalade hybrid. 2 door 4 seater for the same price as a spacious 7 seater. Seems a stretch. Now compare it to the Tesla S which seems to be the benchmark for alternate energy vehicles, the ELR is 5K more than the Model S - that's going to be a hard sell.

Maybe Cadillac wants to sell just enough ELRs to help it achieve it's mandated EPA mileage averages and isn't really serious about hybrids as there's more money to be made selling gas cars for now.

If you want to drive more than 200 miles (Tesla's base range) you're not going to do it in a cramped up ELR, so the argument that you can go long distance in the ELR doesn't jive.

#20 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
most people don't drive more than the volt/ELR can handle before it they switch to gas but when you do want to go farther than 200 miles you don't need to stop for 12 hours to recharge that is why the long distance argument jives ... and how do you know it's cramped up inside the ELR?
That is true , the ELR makes more sense for anyone on the road often for long trips as you will never have the fear of " running out of juice". However, as a " traveling salesman " who puts on over 25k per year I still wouldn't want this for my work car. To me a car like this is perfect for anyone driving between 1-60 miles per day to work or just to have as a really cool around town , pick up kids , run to supermarket and frozen yogurt car. For $60k $65 k max

#21 ·
DG2 said:
That is true , the ELR makes more sense for anyone on the road often for long trips as you will never have the fear of " running out of juice". However, as a " traveling salesman " who puts on over 25k per year I still wouldn't want this for my work car. To me a car like this is perfect for anyone driving between 1-60 miles per day to work or just to have as a really cool around town , pick up kids , run to supermarket and frozen yogurt car. For $60k $65 k max
You're right on. But for long distance driving, I'd prefer the XTS in hybrid form.

#22 ·
10 years after the XLR introduction, Cadillac seems to be going down the same path. First-year sales will probably be pretty good, but fall off after that pretty quickly. And that $75k may only be for the base model -- nothing was said about the additional premium for "Available Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and full-speed-range adaptive cruise control" listed in the overview.

While the ELR may be the first luxury PHEV on the market, it won't be for long. At $55K I'd be talking to my dealer. At $75K (+++) for an ELR, I'll be much more interested in watching for the US intro of the Volvo V60 PHEV and the Audi A3 E-tron to see if they are well-equipped and have comfortable cooled or ventilated seats.

#23 ·
For the price of a new Panamera I could get an ELR instead? Count me in. Not.

#25 ·
Seriously, I can't wait to drop that line when I see someone in an ELR.

#26 ·
For the price of an ELR you could have a new C7 and a new smart car with money left over.

#30 ·
Add one more EV enthusiast to Cadillac's "lost customer" list. I have been eagerly waiting for the ELR, willing and ready to shell out some serious money for it. But I could never justify paying the price they have announced. $50K-$55K, yes. $76+K, no way. I'll test drive it when it comes out, at this point just for fun. But I'll be leasing either the Fiat 500e (which I am test driving later today) or the Volt. Too bad the concept Volt got so blanded down in production. I was ready to buy the concept vehicle when it was announced (very bold and aggressive), but really find the production Volt too boring for my taste. But I am so eager to get off gas that I may just lease the Volt anyway, with the expectation that more interesting (and affordable) EVs will be available in three years. Maybe the Tesla Model E.

Damn.

#31 ·
Wow. Just a few hours have passed since my last post. I wasn't kidding when I said Cadillac blew a sale. I test drove the Fiat 500e this afternoon and was more impressed than I thought I'd be. Then, next door, I test drove the Volt -- and was even more impressed. It's not as sexy a car as I would like, but it is a really well designed and substantial vehicle that does everything I want. The deal is done. I am now the owner (well, lessee) of a Volt. I pick it up in a couple of days. Cadillac's loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.