ELR price announced - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, ELR price announced in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well their are no places to charge a Tesla Model S where I live so the ELR makes a whole ...
    studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    Well their are no places to charge a Tesla Model S where I live so the ELR makes a whole lot more sense . My neighbor has a Volt and a Model S and they never drive the Model S cause they can't charge it but the Volt can just go to the gas station and get gas . What good is an electric car if you can't use it ?

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi
    Well their are no places to charge a Tesla Model S where I live so the ELR makes a whole lot more sense . My neighbor has a Volt and a Model S and they never drive the Model S cause they can't charge it but the Volt can just go to the gas station and get gas . What good is an electric car if you can't use it ?
    Tesla can go 200-300 plus miles per charge to volts 35. Totally different league. If your driving more then 200 miles per day then any electric car should not be in your garage. ---------- Just goggled all the press reviews or ELR and they are all over the price. Man is it a stunning car , whoever picked this price point at GM should be shown the door. They should know the negative press would outweigh anything this inflated price point would net.

blackhawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Certainly got a sticker shock. What are they thinking? The ELR is the same price as the Escalade hybrid. 2 door 4 seater for the same price as a spacious 7 seater. Seems a stretch. Now compare it to the Tesla S which seems to be the benchmark for alternate energy vehicles, the ELR is 5K more than the Model S - that's going to be a hard sell.

Maybe Cadillac wants to sell just enough ELRs to help it achieve it's mandated EPA mileage averages and isn't really serious about hybrids as there's more money to be made selling gas cars for now.

If you want to drive more than 200 miles (Tesla's base range) you're not going to do it in a cramped up ELR, so the argument that you can go long distance in the ELR doesn't jive.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: ELR price announced

most people don't drive more than the volt/ELR can handle before it they switch to gas
    but when you do want to go farther than 200 miles you don't need to stop for 12 hours to recharge
    that is why the long distance argument jives

... and how do you know it's cramped up inside the ELR?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    most people don't drive more than the volt/ELR can handle before it they switch to gas but when you do want to go farther than 200 miles you don't need to stop for 12 hours to recharge that is why the long distance argument jives ... and how do you know it's cramped up inside the ELR?
    That is true , the ELR makes more sense for anyone on the road often for long trips as you will never have the fear of " running out of juice". However, as a " traveling salesman " who puts on over 25k per year I still wouldn't want this for my work car. To me a car like this is perfect for anyone driving between 1-60 miles per day to work or just to have as a really cool around town , pick up kids , run to supermarket and frozen yogurt car. For $60k $65 k max

blackhawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Quote Originally Posted by DG2
    That is true , the ELR makes more sense for anyone on the road often for long trips as you will never have the fear of " running out of juice". However, as a " traveling salesman " who puts on over 25k per year I still wouldn't want this for my work car. To me a car like this is perfect for anyone driving between 1-60 miles per day to work or just to have as a really cool around town , pick up kids , run to supermarket and frozen yogurt car. For $60k $65 k max
    You're right on. But for long distance driving, I'd prefer the XTS in hybrid form.

BoughtTheXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

10 years after the XLR introduction, Cadillac seems to be going down the same path. First-year sales will probably be pretty good, but fall off after that pretty quickly. And that $75k may only be for the base model -- nothing was said about the additional premium for "Available Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and full-speed-range adaptive cruise control" listed in the overview.

While the ELR may be the first luxury PHEV on the market, it won't be for long. At $55K I'd be talking to my dealer. At $75K (+++) for an ELR, I'll be much more interested in watching for the US intro of the Volvo V60 PHEV and the Audi A3 E-tron to see if they are well-equipped and have comfortable cooled or ventilated seats.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    For the price of a new Panamera I could get an ELR instead? Count me in. Not.

Bigplay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade, 05 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    For the price of a new Panamera I could get an ELR instead? Count me in. Not.
    Nice. lol

Seriously, I can't wait to drop that line when I see someone in an ELR.

For the price of an ELR you could have a new C7 and a new smart car with money left over.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

For the price of a new Panamera I could get an ELR instead?
    For the price of an ELR you could have a new C7 and a new smart car with money left over.
    sure, but you still wouldn't have an ELR
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooop
    The C7 presents an Interesting comparison of ELR. The C7 Stingray could have started at $75 k and still been considered the " greatest value " of any sports car on the market. Instead , IMHO GM priced the new Stingray way too cheap ( $52k staring price). Not sure why but hey what do I know. Having driven the new C7 all out at Monticello raceway it is beyond words how good that car is. A shining example of how great GM is when they now have the car designers and engineers running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    sure, but you still wouldn't have an ELR
    But you'd have a Vette and Smart Car or one incredibly nice Porsche.

I do have to say that the ELR looks incredibly sweet in the pictures, probably better even in person.

There certainly is a market for Eco-friendly cars, this will be an interesting era we have entered.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    The C7 presents an Interesting comparison of ELR. The C7 Stingray could have started at $75 k and still been considered the " greatest value " of any sports car on the market. Instead , IMHO GM priced the new Stingray way too cheap ( $52k staring price). Not sure why but hey what do I know. Having driven the new C7 all out at Monticello raceway it is beyond words how good that car is. A shining example of how great GM is when they now have the car designers and engineers running the show.
    GM is going to sell the heck out of those C7's, it's a lot of car for the price. I wouldn't cry if my '69 disappeared in the middle of the night, I'd sure get a C7.

Cadillac sold the heck out of the CTS when it came out, great car and a great value.

jeppollcat75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Add one more EV enthusiast to Cadillac's "lost customer" list. I have been eagerly waiting for the ELR, willing and ready to shell out some serious money for it. But I could never justify paying the price they have announced. $50K-$55K, yes. $76+K, no way. I'll test drive it when it comes out, at this point just for fun. But I'll be leasing either the Fiat 500e (which I am test driving later today) or the Volt. Too bad the concept Volt got so blanded down in production. I was ready to buy the concept vehicle when it was announced (very bold and aggressive), but really find the production Volt too boring for my taste. But I am so eager to get off gas that I may just lease the Volt anyway, with the expectation that more interesting (and affordable) EVs will be available in three years. Maybe the Tesla Model E.

Damn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.