ELR viewed at preview
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marktanner
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, ELR viewed at preview in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I saw an ELR prototype at the preview event in the World Congress Center in Atlanta on the 10th. It ...
    marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

ELR viewed at preview

I saw an ELR prototype at the preview event in the World Congress Center in Atlanta on the 10th. It was dark grey metallic with the saddle and black interior. It was inside, and fully open to explore. There were factory reps there to answer questions, too. There was also a full bar and delicious appetizers circulating frequently, making it a very classy event.

The car is quite attractive, and looks nothing like a Volt. It does have slightly unusual proportions, but also has a lot of presence. The interior is the real star. I wasn't overwhelmed when I saw the pictures on the website, but in person it was quite impressive and luxurious. The seats appear to be similar to the sport seats in my ATS, except that the control for the side bolsters raises and lowers the lumbar support instead. That, and the leather was of much finer and luxurious quality. The door panels were swathed in leather with sueded inserts, as well as wood AND carbon fiber, and blue light bars. The dash had all of the same treatments, including the sueded inserts, and a much more intricate sew pattern than any other current Cadillac. The headliner is black sueded microfiber, too. CUE is there, with an extra "energy" app. This car had the current version of CUE, but they promised another update soon will make it much faster and more responsive, as well as other functionality.

The overall impression of the interior was extremely luxurious and sporty. I did think that perhaps the carbon fiber was unnecessary and maybe a bit overdone; the tan interior has piano black in the same places, and may be better for it. Clearly, few expenses were spared with this interior, and goes a long way in justifying the price. It is also clearly styled with the current Cadillac design language, both inside and out. The back seat had some issues, though. First, it was extremely difficult to enter and exit, as the seat did not motor forward, and the shoulder strap was in the way. Hopefully, they will fix this oversight . Second, while there was actually some rear legroom, and the seat itself was pretty comfortable, there was a severe lack of rear headroom. My head had to be tilted to the side, and still was pressed into the glass. A 5'8" man's head was just touching the glass, and might find bumps to be a problem with hitting the window. His 5'7" wife fit quite comfortably. In this respect, the back seat reminds me of the one in the Infinity G37 coupe. Neither car is a true four-seater, because lack of headroom is harder to deal with than a lack of legroom. If they could drop the rear seat bottom by an inch, it would help a lot; I'm not sure there is space available to do this, though. Front headroom is adequate, though there was no sunroof.

The trunk is a small 10.2 cubic feet, like the ATS, but with a smaller opening; it is not a hatchback, like the Volt. It is nicely finished, but I forgot to ask if the seat folds down. It should be adequate for it's intended purpose. The underhood looked very neat and organized, but nothing otherwise special.

Of special note: the steering wheel was similar to the ATS/XTS except that it had "paddles" (really elongated buttons) attached to the rear of the spokes. These paddles control regenerative braking. Apparently, this is a world first technology.

Overall, in the showroom, it should do quite well. Hopefully, it will drive as impressively, but that remains to be seen.
    Bullitt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: ELR viewed at preview

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    Clearly, few expenses were spared with this interior, and goes a long way in justifying the price.
    What price? Cadillac hasn't announced pricing for the ELR, yet.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Thanks for the update. Price, now that's the real question we've been waiting for. By the way, I hope they really undercut the price of the Tesla, because I'm afraid that even with Gm's bank, Tesla is a company to be reckoned with.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by angelbones
    Thanks for the update. Price, now that's the real question we've been waiting for. By the way, I hope they really undercut the price of the Tesla, because I'm afraid that even with Gm's bank, Tesla is a company to be reckoned with.
    Tesla is a real impressive company. Kinda reminds me of Tucker but this time with amazing success. Wonderful that Elon Musk kept it " Made in USA and in California !!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

that's cool thanks for the post, I will be going to the same event here on Saturday, should be cool

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

car is beautiful, definitely no volt, it's premium through and through, back seat is best for kid to teenagers I find them pairing wood and carbon fiber an unusual choice though

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Went to a preview last night at the Chicago Marriott. Spoke with a ELR Marketing Manager.

He said that there would be a two week production run at the beginning of December then a two week hiatus for the Christmas break and then back to full production.

Have loved the vehicle since seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show at the beginning of the year. My spouse is VP of Research and Development at her firm and is an early adopter of new technology philosophically and in her buying preferences. She moved away from wanting a Tesla due to the pure visual appeal of the ELR...it didn't hurt that we have a CTS V (Lingenfelterized) and both believe that it is the best vehicle we have ever owned.

I did not ask the price, because it simply did not cross our radar screen...Christine doesn't care, I know it will be less than the Tesla S!!!

I'm done, we will purchase one as soon as they are available. The Manager I spoke with agreed to contact the dealership that services my CTS V.

Stoked!

P.S. Be ready for a very limited run of a "Saks Fifth Ave" model...the color: Diamond White.

DG2
    Are they staying with " lithium ion" battery in ELR ?

Rarcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    What price? Cadillac hasn't announced pricing for the ELR, yet.
    Insane $75,000 starting price. Very sad about this.

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

$75k is stiff but it comes with a lot of technology! And I believe there is still a $7500 tax deduction with the ELR.

A back-up camera, the CUE infotainment system with Navigation, leather heated power adjustable seats, keyless access and remote start, Alert Seat warning, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning.

The options: Luxury Package for $1,695 - which includes Ultra-Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Intellibeam (automatically adjusts your highbeams to low if it senses an oncoming car). Full Speed Adaptive Cruise Control at $1,995 - applies the brakes if it senses you're approaching another vehicle too quickly - will bring you to a full stop to avoid a collision.
    Semi-Aniline Opus Leather seating in Kona Brown is offered at a MSRP of $2,450 (otherwise Jet Black and Light Cashmere are offered at no extra charge). Four Exterior Colors including Black Raven, Graphite Metallic, Radiant Silver and Crystal Red Tintcoat premium paint which will add $995, front license plate bracket for $15.00. Cadillac Concierge will handle the Home Charging installation with an allowance for permiting and 3 years of Onstar - Complementary.

I'm in.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    $75k is stiff but it comes with a lot of technology! And I believe there is still a $7500 tax deduction with the ELR. A back-up camera, the CUE infotainment system with Navigation, leather heated power adjustable seats, keyless access and remote start, Alert Seat warning, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. The options: Luxury Package for $1,695 - which includes Ultra-Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Intellibeam (automatically adjusts your highbeams to low if it senses an oncoming car). Full Speed Adaptive Cruise Control at $1,995 - applies the brakes if it senses you're approaching another vehicle too quickly - will bring you to a full stop to avoid a collision. Semi-Aniline Opus Leather seating in Kona Brown is offered at a MSRP of $2,450 (otherwise Jet Black and Light Cashmere are offered at no extra charge). Four Exterior Colors including Black Raven, Graphite Metallic, Radiant Silver and Crystal Red Tintcoat premium paint which will add $995, front license plate bracket for $15.00. Cadillac Concierge will handle the Home Charging installation with an allowance for permiting and 3 years of Onstar - Complementary. I'm in.
    First, only 4 colors to select from ? Second , the majority of the safety options ( less the auto brake feature) are available on the $24,000 Buick Verano. Plus, all of the main tech features are pulled right from the Volt so the main investment in ELR were all primarily cosmetic.

That said go get it I'm sure there will be people out there willing to buy but not many. GM mis priced this car and all the Onstar in the world will not make up for a car that's $15k overpriced!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.