My opinions on ELR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, My opinions on ELR in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I won't see one in person until Toronto car show in Feb, but here's a few observations: 1. Overall, l'm ...
    speedbump49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe RWD

My opinions on ELR

I won't see one in person until Toronto car show in Feb, but here's a few observations:

1. Overall, l'm liking the look...

2. However, wheels are a big disappointment.

3. Not sure about the Grill extention onto the hood area, something dosn't look right?

4. Has anyone seen the trunk open?

5. I read something about the low resistance tires, do you think they will offer special snow tires or what might the impact be of using any old snow tire?

6. I'm seriously looking at trading my CTS Coupe for this, but price will be a factor, if its the same ball park as '14 Stinkray I may say screw the environment :0

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: My opinions on ELR

You can put whatever tires and wheels you want on it, so that shouldn't be an issue. The stock wheels simulate the concept wheels, and the tires were optimized for efficiency (however, I'm sure there is some trade off with performance). You can put 18" wheels with pilot cup tires or blizzaks on if you want.

The Stingray's mileage won't be that much worse than the ELR, you just won't have the electric only option. The volt is only 40 Hwy with the ELR probably going to be less (with 20" wheels and a higher drag coefficient). The Stingray is probably going to be in the 28 mpg highway range.

When you add in the impact of mining lithium, shipping it halfway around the world and then the energy for refinement, then shipping it again and building it into batteries, then shipping it to GM to make battery packs, then shipping it to Hamtramck for assembly (plus whatever steps I am missing in the middle, like the other added components needed to make the batteries), then the ELR isn't really an environmental savior. Not that I think you are really concerned about environmental issues.

TNphoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Coupe - Performance Pkg / '92 GMC Typhoon

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I like what I see so far. Currently I have a 2012 CTS Coupe. It doesn't matter to me the practicality of the backseats, as we don't have kids and don't expect to and the only thing that's ever been back there was our dog and a suitcase. However, if this thing comes in priced at $60K base, no way in hell. Even with a tax incentive. In all honesty, I hope this thing comes out, doesn't sell worth a damn because the market for 2 door luxury coupes really isn't there, and they offer crazy rebates and discounts on it. Either way, if it stays below $55k for a nicely equipped version, it will be sitting in my garage.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Anyone think they will make a all wheel drive option? If so ill be highly interested.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    Anyone think they will make a all wheel drive option? If so ill be highly interested.
    No...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump49 View Post
    4. Has anyone seen the trunk open?
    7_crop_620x350_cadillacelrtrunk.jpg

TNphoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Coupe - Performance Pkg / '92 GMC Typhoon

^ Thanks!
    I don't understand why Cadillac has to use such large hinges for the trunk lids though. My CTS Coupe is the same way and it's a PITA putting things in there and arranging them so they don't get crushed. My GF's Chrysler Sebring has hydralic lifts. Why can't Cadillac do the same?

I don't understand why Cadillac didn't keep it a hatchback. I can fit more in the back of my Volt than I ever could in any of my previous vehicles. I'm not sure I could even fit groceries in the ELR!

speedbump49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS Coupe RWD

Thanks Blastphemy for posting the trunk open pic. I assume you took the shot, how deep is it? Golf bag deep?

I found that picture on another ELR forum; I haven't seen the car in person.

Dobiesdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade

At the pricing they are expecting I'll buy a Stingray and mess with the ozone layer.
    ELR is a complete fail. Come on this is a Cadillac and no RWD?

It needs to be priced under $50k or major fail!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobiesdaddy View Post
    At the pricing they are expecting I'll buy a Stingray and mess with the ozone layer.
    ELR is a complete fail. Come on this is a Cadillac and no RWD?

It needs to be priced under $50k or major fail!
    You are a major fail.
    GMX322V S/C and GMX322V S/C like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Speedbump49, thanks for starting this thread and generating such valuable feedback! I'm going to document your comments where the proper GM teams can view them, and I really appreciate everyone's honesty. If you all have any further questions about the ELR's preliminary specifications, I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    remnokc and remnokc like this.

SleeperCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I liked the concept a lot. It had an aggressive and very stylish look. This one looks meh. I cannot put my finger on why. With the lack of the aforementioned style, it is no longer a car I am considering.

Dobiesdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You are a major fail.
    Blow me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.