My opinions on ELR - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, My opinions on ELR in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm headed for the German side of the fence. The pricing for the ELR is over the top for what ...
    Dobiesdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade

Re: My opinions on ELR

I'm headed for the German side of the fence. The pricing for the ELR is over the top for what it has to offer. It's basically a Volt with more bling.
    The Audi e-tron will have more for the dollar IMHO and be faster in 0-60 than the ELR and the features the German cars have compared to American's are leaps and bounds above.

"If I'm paying for the Cadillac name... I demand more performance!"

No wonder FORD is blowing away Chevy with their new generation technology. Have you driven an Ecoboosted vehicle?

I love my Escalade for what it is... a luxury 7,000 lb vehicle, with tons of torque that gets 22MPG at 65MPH HWY and hauls all my Dobies.

All Detroit has ever been really known for is great V8 powered vehicles... no one comes close to this... no one!

With other vehicle options on the table these days... the German's and Japanese can't be beat!

swgyoooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Premium 3.6 AWD

I know this is a forum, but the haters on here just fry my brain.

For us true Cadillac Enthusiasts, the ELR is going to be awesome! I recently had an opportunity to have the lead engineer go over the car with me. The car has an unbelievable amount of technology. This is not a Cadillac Volt by any means. If your driving habits fit the electric perameters, you are going to love this car and the technology and features it offers. Will it be at a price...sure it will. But an Escalade does the same thing a Tahoe does. A Lexus is nothing more than an expensive Toyota. An Infiniti is nothing more than an expensive Nissan. And an Audi is nothing more than an expensive VW. We are enthusiasts because we buy what we want. I could have a Volt and spend a lot less...but I want the exclusivity and technology that the Cadillac will offer. I would much rather relish in the fact that a great concept car like the Converj is finally coming to life as ELR and I cant wait to own one of the first ones.
    C&C and C&C like this.

GIL73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Looks great. Price around$65K. Only problem is after 35 miles of conservative electric, your CADILLAC is now a 4 cylinder VOLT. Do you really want
    a 4 cylinder Cadillac? Please tell me why?
    Subsailor613 and Subsailor613 like this.

GIL73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

OK--a big 35 mile electric range on a $68,500 vehicle, after the 35 mile thrill ride, it shifts into Volt status with a four (4) cylinder engine.
    Great, now I paid large bucks for a four cylinder Cadillac. Am I missing something here?
    I alredy have a two door luxury vehicle called an ELDORADO (the last one). Please tell me why I should switch to the new
    ELR Eldorado?

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by GIL73 View Post
    Looks great. Price around$65K. Only problem is after 35 miles of conservative electric, your CADILLAC is now a 4 cylinder VOLT. Do you really want a 4 cylinder Cadillac? Please tell me why?
    You obviously don't understand how the Volt or ELR works. The 4-cylinder engine doesn't drive the wheels, it recharges the battery. Acceleration and handling don't change when the battery runs low and starts recharging from the extended range engine. The ELR's 0-60 time off the line will still beat 75% of the cars on the road, especially your Eldorado. Unlike a gas engine, you have 100% torque at 0 RPM in an electric car. So a V6 might catch up with the ELR at some point (maybe), but it won't ever beat it off the line, initially. And my Volt has smoked some V8s as well, even though it's slower than the ELR will be.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade
    I for one am very interested it his vehicle. I probably won't buy version 1, but am interested on what it will drive like. This is also the first time I have heard that the engine just charges and doesn't drive the vehicle.... Will have to look int that info.

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    You obviously don't understand how the Volt or ELR works. The 4-cylinder engine doesn't drive the wheels, it recharges the battery. Acceleration and handling don't change when the battery runs low and starts recharging from the extended range engine. The ELR's 0-60 time off the line will still beat 75% of the cars on the road, especially your Eldorado. Unlike a gas engine, you have 100% torque at 0 RPM in an electric car. So a V6 might catch up with the ELR at some point (maybe), but it won't ever beat it off the line, initially. And my Volt has smoked some V8s as well, even though it's slower than the ELR will be.
    Thank you, you save me some typing!!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Looks great. Price around$65K. Only problem is after 35 miles of conservative electric, your CADILLAC is now a 4 cylinder VOLT. Do you really want
    a 4 cylinder Cadillac? Please tell me why?
    You're a g00b.

----------

OK--a big 35 mile electric range on a $68,500 vehicle, after the 35 mile thrill ride, it shifts into Volt status with a four (4) cylinder engine.
    Great, now I paid large bucks for a four cylinder Cadillac. Am I missing something here?
    I alredy have a two door luxury vehicle called an ELDORADO (the last one). Please tell me why I should switch to the new
    ELR Eldorado?
    You're a 5 day older g00b.

----------

Oh, and I would really love to have a 2.0T ATS w/manual transmission...

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy
    You sure about that ? At NY auto show I was listening to the Cadillac demo about ELR and I thought after the battery drains it uses the 4 cyl engine to drive the car. It's really good looking and Cadillac will sell a ton. However I am test driving the other great American electric car tomorrow. The Tesla S. can go 300 miles 100% electric. Interesting

dengland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    I thought after the battery drains it uses the 4 cyl engine to drive the car.
    I know I should leave this alone...But I can't...

How can folks not understand that it is the same concept as a Volt with an expected improvement in the power plant and a Cadillac finish.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    You sure about that ? At NY auto show I was listening to the Cadillac demo about ELR and I thought after the battery drains it uses the 4 cyl engine to drive the car. It's really good looking and Cadillac will sell a ton. However I am test driving the other great American electric car tomorrow. The Tesla S. can go 300 miles 100% electric. Interesting
    The Tesla Model S can go 265 miles under ideal driving situations (i.e., flat roads, normal temperatures, consistent speeds not exceeding 55 mph, etc.) Tesla's own Model S home page (http://www.teslamotors.com/models) shows "up to 265 mi EPA certified range." It reiterates that figure on the Features page (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/battery).

As for the ELR, it operates the same as the Volt; namely, when the battery gets low, it uses the gas engine to recharge the battery, not drive the car except under certain circumstances (see http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20019260-48.html). "When the battery has a usable charge, a second electric motor in the system delivers a boost to the planetary gearset, letting the traction motor, which still has the only mechanical connection to the wheels, reduce its speed by half. Similarly, when the batteries are depleted, the gas engine can take the role of that second electric motor when the car is being driven at speeds of 70 mph. Although mostly working as an electricity generator, it can add its own boost to the planetary gearset under these conditions to let the main traction motor spin at reduced speed."

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    ...As for the ELR, it operates the same as the Volt; namely, when the battery gets low, it uses the gas engine to recharge the battery, not drive the car except under certain circumstances...
    The tempest in a teapot the devout greenies stirred up was over the fact that the gas engine can drive the wheels directly; this was done for safety reasons; for example, you wouldn't want the battery to suddenly go flat during an overtaking manuver and not have, um, expected acceleration...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.