My opinions on ELR - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, My opinions on ELR in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho You are a major fail. Originally Posted by Dobiesdaddy Blow me You're both major fails. Perhaps ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: My opinions on ELR

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You are a major fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobiesdaddy View Post
    Blow me
    You're both major fails. Perhaps it's time to move out of your respective parents' basements and join the adult world?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post

You're both major fails. Perhaps it's time to move out of your respective parents' basements and join the adult world?
    Oh, of course. Because you are the authority on that.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Thank you for confirming to everyone that you're a troll who has nothing useful to contribute.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    You done now? We're getting bored of your assumptions...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperCTSV View Post
    I liked the concept a lot. It had an aggressive and very stylish look. This one looks meh. I cannot put my finger on why.
    The taller roofline makes the leading angle of the side glass more prominent and a little further forward. Looks strange from some angles. That, the all-LED headlights, and the larger side mirrors are about the only differences.

The Converj was shocking low to the ground when I saw in person. The ELR has almost enough front headroom for me.

SleeperCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The converj wheels also seemed to be different with different spoke widths. The ELR looks much more like a volt in pics than the converj ever did. I'd still like to see it in person though.

Avery323 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I too saw it in Detroit during press days and was VERY impressed. The quality of the interior is fantastic -- there's a fantastic mix of leather and suede and the seats look great. Cadillac (and GM) is starting to see the wisdom of knock-out interiors (new Vette, XTS incredible in real life). I can't wait for the new Escalade and CTS to see where they go -- I digress. ELR should be a premium-priced product. They can easily sell 2,000 of these a month between China and the US (and maybe a handful in Europe).

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery323
    I too saw it in Detroit during press days and was VERY impressed. The quality of the interior is fantastic -- there's a fantastic mix of leather and suede and the seats look great. Cadillac (and GM) is starting to see the wisdom of knock-out interiors (new Vette, XTS incredible in real life). I can't wait for the new Escalade and CTS to see where they go -- I digress. ELR should be a premium-priced product. They can easily sell 2,000 of these a month between China and the US (and maybe a handful in Europe).
    Well said. The interiors have improved 1000 fold and it will pay off big for GM.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

I hope that leather steering wheel hub spreads to the rest of the line, and not just on Platinum editions. I'm not sure if the fabric can be kept clean there and on the dash, but it looks great and makes the plastic ones even less bearable.

----------

Not a fan of black wheels, but blacking out the Venetian blinds in the grill looks great.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    Anyone think they will make a all wheel drive option? If so ill be highly interested.
    Isn't there an electric motor at all four wheels?

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    Isn't there an electric motor at all four wheels?
    Well, technically no, but there is regen braking at all four wheels, which is kinda-sorta a motor. My thoughts are similar. I need AWD for my commuter car, the snow smack-down we got here proves that. FWD doesn't do the trick when hills are involved (which they are around me). RWD is for a fun car, but an ELR is a commuter car for the tasteful (as opposed to the Smart Car, Leaf, Fiesta EV, etc.) Putting in-wheel motors to the rear wheels when the front starts to slip seems like a cost issue, not a technical issue. If primarily the car was FWD and when those wheels slipped, the motors in the back would provide EV only assist, then I would think this would add a small amount to the cost, but would open up the vehicle to people like me for a commuter car. I'd then get rid of my ATS4, and get an ATS-V RWD for the fun days.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

It is sad that the related Chevrolet Volt is not considered a sales success. I think this is complete bunk created by anti-domestic car types. The fact is that the Volt is the best selling electric hybrid on the market. The sales of Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi I, Focus plug-in and Prius Plug-in lag far behind the Volt.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Doesn't ELR stand for Electric Long range.
    I would expect it to have much longer range , than the VOLT.
    just because the name stands for longer range, and it's a Cadillac.
    I stand corrected , if the name is different, than the above.
    I wonder if the car manufacturers even considered using two batteries
    instead of one. One for accessories ONLY. Not the same size as the MAIN battery.
    This system works very well on Yachts.Both charged by the charger and Main engine.
    I just put 2 + 2 together,
    the Chev Volt gets 380 miles range and,
    the Cadillac ELR gets 300 miles range ?
    IS THIS EXTENDED RANGE ?
    Jefflugar and Jefflugar like this.

dengland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Subsailor613 View Post
    Doesn't ELR stand for Electric Long range.
    I wonder if the car manufacturers even considered using two batteries
    instead of one. One for accessories ONLY. Not the same size as the MAIN battery.
    One of the things that I have been wondering about is how the accessories will effect the range. In FL, I am running the AC 95% of the time, the Heat 1% and neither for the remainder. Same thing for an upgraded car stereo. In my current vehicle (Tundra), I am running an external 4-channnel amp and another dedicated for the Sub. Same though on headlights. Would lights on make a measurable difference? My trip to work is 19 miles each way, so I would be using gas everyday anyway, but how much?

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post

The Stingray's mileage won't be that much worse than the ELR, you just won't have the electric only option. The volt is only 40 Hwy with the ELR probably going to be less (with 20" wheels and a higher drag coefficient). The Stingray is probably going to be in the 28 mpg highway range.

When you add in the impact of mining lithium, shipping it halfway around the world and then the energy for refinement, then shipping it again and building it into batteries, then shipping it to GM to make battery packs, then shipping it to Hamtramck for assembly (plus whatever steps I am missing in the middle, like the other added components needed to make the batteries), then the ELR isn't really an environmental savior. Not that I think you are really concerned about environmental issues.
    The thing about fuel consumption, you must consider how many miles you drive along with mileage. Your CO2 emission level is mostly related to how many gallons per year you buy not how you burn it. I drive 10 miles each way to work so my new Deville will use say one gallon per day. A Prius traveling 45 miles each way will use 2 gallons per day on the commute. In this case the Deville is half the Co2 impact of the Prius.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.