Benefits over the Volt?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Benefits over the Volt? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; We won't have a Volt in our 2 person household because my 5'2" tall wife has trouble reaching those front ...
    MarcV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 XLR, '94 DTS

Benefits over the Volt?

We won't have a Volt in our 2 person household because my 5'2" tall wife has trouble reaching those front bar seat adjusters near the floor. I'm 6'2" so I easily reach the adjuster bar but a major adjustment is needed every time we switch drivers. In fact i cannot even enter the cabin with the seat and steering wheel adjusted for her. We haven't owned a car with manual seat adjustment since her Buick Skyhawk oh so many (35?) years ago. Surely the ELR will have power adjustable seats with memorized positions?

That made me wonder: What other upgrades can we expect in the ELR? And are the ELR designers interested in input from forum members here?

For example, I'm assuming they'll replace the plastic looking console facia with real wood.

How about seat belt anchor height adjusters? Is that a given, too?

What other Caddy features do you think will show up on the ELR? What features do you consider must haves?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Benefits over the Volt?

Heads up display is a must, I'd say. And the multi color version is best.

Cooled seats should add less weight than their value, too.

Top_Speed1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 Black CTS - '12 Black Volt

-Hoping for sunroof for sure! (should be a def).
    -Memory seats (but I have no problem whatsoever w the Volts seats and they are more comfy than my Caddy CTS's, I'm 6-4 but the main driver)
    -Air cooled seats ..agree w MarcV
    -Temp controlled steering wheel... I'm being Caddi greedy now lol.
    -LED Headlights (not HID) and with a complete LED lighting package. No moving headlights however, I hate that option.
    -Complete voice recognition incl in GPS
    -Satellite imaging option within GPS
    -Turbo 1.4L (used in the Cruise ECO) vs. the naturally aspired 1.4L (used in the Cruise). 3 cyl Diesel option would probably be asking too much at this point and time.
    -Level 3 charging (prob not going to happen as this is going off of voltec 1.5) but it's on my wish list!
    -Wireless charging OEM, the Volt can do this now w the right aftermarket charger but the efficiency can be worked on w interfacing properly.

Wanna go over the edge?
    -Thumbprint programmable keystart button/pad (keyfob). Forget remembering the fob, put your finger on the start button and bamm! -If your not pre-programmed in such as a guest you wish to drive your car?, well then you'll have to use the ole fobber.

I'm sure many others, maybe some other Volters will chime in as they should know first hand on what the Volt lacks and the ELR should have...

Sharkvolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I would expect extra wheel/tire choices on the ELR, and also either Bilstein or GM high end shocks.

Possibly, they might bump up the performance curve of the electronics controlling the motor.

Or, they could change the gearing of the overall drive ratio to increase performance, and use a higher overdrive gearing for the planetary gears when in the "dual" mode. That might give an excellent performance boost, while retaining economy in the "overdrive" mode. (my terminology, not theirs)

Jerry, Volt # 536, in Fresno, CA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Volt doesn't have a "dual mode". Are we expecting the ELR to be based on a Prius instead of a Volt? Jerry, can you explain the gearing in your Volt? I thought, mistakenly I guess, that this was direct drive and the ICE only boosts electrically.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Expect a Volt with Cadillac features.

You'll of course get CUE, a cluster that combines the current Volt with what you see in the XTS. HUD's a lock, power seats, memory seats, cooled seats are all good things to consider. Since it's a 2-door I'd focus on how the back seat while nicely appointed in terms of touch will be limited in terms of features (I wouldn't expect to see any rear heated seats or anything like that). The amount of people who will crawl behind the driver to get in will be next to zero. For all intensive proposes the car is a 3 seater.

Don't expect the drivetrain to change philosophically. Expect it to get more efficient, possibly by having a better engine, larger battery (or more efficient one), updated power electronics and such. These efficiency gains may be offset by the additional charge the amenities will consume, but at the price point the ELR will sell at a small drop in range will be acceptable.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MarcV View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Volt doesn't have a "dual mode". Are we expecting the ELR to be based on a Prius instead of a Volt? Jerry, can you explain the gearing in your Volt? I thought, mistakenly I guess, that this was direct drive and the ICE only boosts electrically.
    Volts don't have "gearing" like a traditional car outside the "final drive" in the differential portion of the transaxle.

The Volt has 3 clutches and 2 Motors in the "Transmission." The primary motor drives the car if you stop this motor the car stops. The clutches can be open and closed so that the engine drives the second motor to charge the batteries which then are drawn on by the primary motor (this is normal in charge sustaining mode). When the battery has charge and the engine is off the second motor can "assist" the primary motor and provide more power. This "assist mode" and the engine being on combine sometimes when the car is traveling over 70 MPH. So the engine is using the second motor to charge the battery (or sustain the charge) and extra energy from the engine is being diverted to "assist" the primary motor in moving the car. This was what the bugaboo was about when the Volt was first released as GM had stated that the engine never drives the wheels (which is technically still correct, the engine without the primary motor is unable to drive the car, it only can "assist" this motor).

During brake regen, the car backdrives the primary motor which then charges the batteries a small amount.

The system is based on (but not the same as) the Two-Mode Hybrid. Many of the learnings that came from this project were used to create the Volt drivetrain. I used to work on the Two-Mode system.

Sharkvolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Wow, he explained it much better than I could have, thanks.

Basically, when the car gets over 70 mph and you are not accelerating hard it clutches in the second smaller electric motor and the two share the load and horsepower, but the RPM of both drops down to about half what they would be at. The 150 HP one would have to be at 6500 rpam at a hundred mph, but it ends up at only 3500 roughly. Esentially, it is like an extreme overdrive economy gear, really cool engineering on the part of GM. Also, effectively, you then are using 150+80 H.P. to run the car, or really 230 H.P. which explains how it is so easy for the car to reach 100 MPH.

If you are in ICE mode, You also get the ICE engine running and supplying power through the electric (80 H.P.) generator motor to keep the battery charged.

There is no telling what other fiendish schemes the engineers might have planned for the ELR version 1.5.
    Prepare to be amazed! (just sayin')
    MarcV and MarcV like this.

So we're looking for a Northstar version of the generators? Maybe just boosted sizes with better performance, better efficiency, but reduced MPKwh?

The big E/P question is; if they improve on efficiency (mp/kw) will they trade it mostly for performance on this car?
    Will the general consumer accept lets say 5 miles less (30-35 mile E range instead of the Volts 35-40) but a much better 0-60? hmmm.

V1.5 supposedly brings a sacrifice between the two (slight improvements on each) but what Caddi does with it in this sporty little model may be tweaked towards more the performance side.

Adaptive Cruise Control

When we went looking for the 2nd XLR, we knew it had to have adaptive cruise control. As a result we selected a MY2008. I hope the ELR recovers lost XLR ground by reviving that now more common amenity. We use it nearly all the time both on the highway and in town (except on curves where fenceposts look like a slow vehicle to the radar system).

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control

Just finished a 4 1/2 hour drive in the Escalade, arriving after dark, and was reminded of how much I like

Automatic Dimming Headlamps

something they forgot on the XLR. I hope it's on the ELR.

Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, too. It was sprinkling in northern Illinois this evening.
    remnokc and remnokc like this.

One step above this would be, automatic LED Hi/Lo beam combined w mid power DRL

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

LED Headlamps are inferior to HID's in regards to brightness. There is a reason for their use not being standard as they are a HELL of a lot cheaper than HID's.

I wouldn't expect LED headlamps to be mainstream ever.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

LED DRLs would work nicely though

another pro for LED is the low power consumption
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Haven't seen anyone address the obvious yet:

Will they give it enough range on epower so it will sell? The Volt is a flop due in large part to this limitation. (There are others too.) Like many folks, my daily commute is greater than the Volt's range using electrical power.

CCC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.