Benefits over the Volt? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Benefits over the Volt? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; http://www.voltstats.net/#leaderboardTab WOW!! ---------- so what you're saying is that you won't buy a volt unless you can get gas mileage ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Benefits over the Volt?

http://www.voltstats.net/#leaderboardTab

WOW!!

----------

so what you're saying is that you won't buy a volt unless you can get gas mileage like that? ^^^^^^

there's only 9 volts getting under 50mpg (most of those 9 are pretty close to it)
    there's only 116 getting less than 100mpg ... so of those volt users signed up on voltstats.net about 75% are getting better than 100mpg
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Precisely Chris. I'm interested in MPAh. How far does the Volt go on a fully-charged battery? 50 miles. After that, a combustion engine recharges the battery to keep it going. Despite some impressive engineering and hundreds of millions of dollars, the Volt isn't living up to GM's sales expectations for lots of reasons. That isn't an opinion, but an established fact. The sales numbers bear testament to that.

7700 cars sold in 2011. Most impressive. . . that's a little better than the XLR 's numbers during it's best year, and dismal for a car that was supposed to mark the turnaround for GM. The $40,000 sticker price is hard for a lot of folks, especially in this lackluster economy. And the $7500 tax rebate?!! A $7500 tax credit is equivalent to cash back only if your federal income tax exceeds $7500.

$5800 standard deduction
    10% of next $8025 = $802.50 tax
    15% of next $24525 = $3678.75 tax
    25% of next $12075 = $3018.75 tax

Total $50425 income = $7500 tax

So if you make less than $50,425 and take the standard deduction, you can't get the full $7500 tax credit. If you're married, head of household, or itemize your deductions, the income threshold is even higher before you can take the full $7500 tax credit. The government shouldn't be in the car business period. (But that's another discussion altogether.)

1529 units sold in Dec; 605 in Jan. A total Volt safety recall to try to stem the bad publicity regarding several post-crash battery fires. How much will a new battery pack cost when it can't hold a charge? GM offers an eight-year warranty. After that. . . --some estimates put battery replacement at close to $10k. Whoops. . . there go used sales too . . . .

--Like the majority of the car-buying public, I'll pass.

If the ELR is to be successful, it will be due in large part to the hard lessons learned from the Volt. Cosmetically, the Volt is pretty bland. An electric Cadillac will excel in style and comfort.

I'll pay extra for a vehicle that never visits a gas pump and has reasonable costs associated with battery replacement.

CC

Sharkvolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

How much will a new battery pack cost when it can't hold a charge? GM offers an eight-year warranty.

The Chevrolet parts list shows a replacement battery at just under $3,000. And one other discount source quotes about $2500. I guess that shouldn't bother most people after 8-15 years.

Oh, and I only make about $25,000-$30,000 a year, but I bought a Volt anyway. I just took an extra $17,000 out of my retirement account to get my total up to $50,000 and sent in no withholding all year. I used the $17,000 for the down payment, which dropped the car payments down a lot, plus I am saving over $200 a month on gas bills, and the charging is only costing me about $20 a month to drive 1,000 miles.

What a lot of people don't realize yet, is that almost every component in this car has a life expectancy of 3-10 times that of a normal ICE car. That is going to mean maintenance and repair costs amazingly less than any ICE car.

Top_Speed1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 Black CTS - '12 Black Volt

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    LED Headlamps are inferior to HID's in regards to brightness. There is a reason for their use not being standard as they are a HELL of a lot cheaper than HID's.

I wouldn't expect LED headlamps to be mainstream ever.
    Don't hold your breath, they're right around the corner for the EV world. They've come along way with high powered (lumen) LED's of late. I've already heard the latest developmental ev cars are incorporating them as we speak. The problem is that these high powered LED's are MORE expensive than that of HID (you got that one twisted around but that's OK). Yes the 1-3w LED's are cheap (no lumens for this app) but that's not a part of this game, we're talking 20-25w LED's.

My Volt is 100% LED equipped minus the 35w HID heads. All of my LED's are brighter than the filament replacements x2 with less than half the power consumption. No eBay junk LED's are used, my best source-> v-leds.com ...expect to see LED heads around a years time! (words from the owner!)

aauno is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've been driving a Lexus for the last 6 years. It's a great car and I plan to keep it for casual usage. I'm looking forward to buying an American made product, and by American, I mean designed and built in the United States of America. I drive 42 miles one-way to work, but if I use a little gas, that will be fine. I can recharge at work, and then head back home. I test drove a Volt, but will wait for the Cadillac. Watch for aauno on the volt stats webpage. Looking forward to the day, I can place my order.

The Volt continues to astound the market: http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...-of-chevy-volt

The best quote in the post: “When the market is ready … it won’t have to be subsidized.”

I don't believe the government should be using a cent of our tax money to subsidize any brand's automobiles.

CCC

http://deathandtaxesposter.com/

i think it's truly fascinating what the government spends our money on
    (subsidy or not)

link to huge image so you can read it all
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Awesome picture. Thanks!

CC

No prob... i found out about that site back in 2006 or something ... one of the first years they did it

oh also found some good summaries of the bailouts
    CNN Money's Bailout Tracker
    NYTimes Total Bailout Tab

Sharkvolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

NEW INFO!!!!

A GM spokesman just mentioned that the ELR will have more horsepower and performance.

And I bet the adaptive cruise control and lane avoidance features will be standard.

Link?

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...XTS-China-year

Looks like the ELR won't work for you then. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by aauno View Post
    I've been driving a Lexus for the last 6 years. It's a great car and I plan to keep it for casual usage. I'm looking forward to buying an American made product, and by American, I mean designed and built in the United States of America. I drive 42 miles one-way to work, but if I use a little gas, that will be fine. I can recharge at work, and then head back home. I test drove a Volt, but will wait for the Cadillac. Watch for aauno on the volt stats webpage. Looking forward to the day, I can place my order.

kingtj, i don't think that article means that all XTSs and ELRs will be built in China, but instead means that they will begin building those models in China (for the Asian market)

it doesn't make financial sense to build a car so far away from where you are going to sell it ... look at all the import brands with North American manufacturing plants (for instance)

studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    No the ELR and XTS will only be built in China for the Chinese market due to the chinese government recently passing a law stating that in order for a car company to sell cars in their country they must build a certain percentage of their cars there .

Blastphemy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Only ELR and XTS models for the Chinese/Asian market will be built in China.

XTS models for the United States and North America are currently being built at the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, and the ELR will be built in the same Detroit-Hamtramck Chevy plant that currently builds the Volt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.