Cadillac ELR Pricing - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, Cadillac ELR Pricing in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; FWD... very disappointed at this price! Might as well be a Cimmaron! And no 0-60 under 6 secs. Might as ...
    Dobiesdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade

Re: Cadillac ELR Pricing

FWD... very disappointed at this price! Might as well be a Cimmaron!
    And no 0-60 under 6 secs. Might as well own a Volt for thousands less.
    No wonder GM went bankrupt!

I'll be looking elsewhere!

GM needs to keep the price tag under $50k or it's a massive FAIL!
    Ford and the Asian's will kick GM's ass!!!
    Not to mention Tesla.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobiesdaddy View Post

Not to mention Tesla.
    Calm down, Frances. How annoying...

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobiesdaddy

Not to mention Tesla.
    The customers who will buy the ELR will see no difference in paying $60-65 k. They'll want this car and will be able to afford. This car is NOT fir the masses.

Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    The customers who will buy the ELR will see no difference in paying $60-65 k. They'll want this car and will be able to afford. This car is NOT fir the masses.
    But it should be a car for the masses, especially out here in California. Think about how many Mercedes-Benzs, Porsches, BMWs, and Jaguars one sees on CA roads every day...those are $65-85,000 cars. If I had to choose amongst a Porsche Cayenne S Hydbrid, Mercedez-Benz CLS550, Infiniti M56, BMW 550i, and a Cadillac ELR, it ain't gonna be the one that goes 0-60 in 8 seconds, has negligible trunk space, and costs more than the other four!

Let's hope Car & Driver overestimated the price and that Cadillac smartly prices the base model below $60,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    But it should be a car for the masses, especially out here in California. Think about how many Mercedes-Benzs, Porsches, BMWs, and Jaguars one sees on CA roads every day...those are $65-85,000 cars. If I had to choose amongst a Porsche Cayenne S Hydbrid, Mercedez-Benz CLS550, Infiniti M56, BMW 550i, and a Cadillac ELR, it ain't gonna be the one that goes 0-60 in 8 seconds, has negligible trunk space, and costs more than the other four!

Let's hope Car & Driver overestimated the price and that Cadillac smartly prices the base model below $60,000.
    Let's hope!

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

When (and if) someone upgrades to an ELR (as opposed to a Volt or similar electric/gas engine vehicle) it is going to be because of the 'jewelry' ; bitch'n about the price is frivolous. If it really is a concern, then you're looking at the wrong vehicle for you; pick something else. I'll give you this though, it's beyond my 'means' as well; but I like the heck out of it.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post

I don't agree with pricing the ELR with a base of $60k, but I don't agree it should be a car for the masses. The cars you mention are much bigger and more expensive (start out more expensive and would top out much more than a loaded ELR), and I don't know who would cross-shop the ELR with a V8 sports car.

I know most Californians would not be found dead in a Cadillac, so hopefully this can make inroads there, but to say an ELR with a $60k base price is ridiculous because it is slower and smaller than a Porsche Cayenne at $97k (comparable vehicle type) or has less cargo space than $70k Cayenne is ridiculous. The only real competition is a Fisker and it is a lot less efficient and costs significantly more.

I did see another article that stated the ELR base price at $60k, so it seems that GM is socializing that number. $60-75k seems to be more accurate than the original $49-58k estimation. Again, I would buy a fully loaded ELR at $58k, but not a base model at $60k.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy

A plug in such as the ELR is completely different then the cars you mention above. GM needs to finally crack the California market and ( I'm going say it ) Californians need to open their eyes to an American product fir once ! I'm out on the West coast often and it's a sea of Japanese cars, what's up with that !! If just 25% of buyers in California purchased a GM product can you imagine what that would do, instantly recapture #1 status.

That said I do think the ELR will do very well on the West coast and if people purchased $40,000 Volts they will buy $60,000 Cadillacs. I see no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    The cars you mention are much bigger and more expensive (start out more expensive and would top out much more than a loaded ELR), and I don't know who would cross-shop the ELR with a V8 sports car.
    The Porsche Cayenne S Hydbrid starts at $69,850.00; the Mercedes-Benz CLS550 starts at $72,000; the Infiniti M56x starts at $63,700; and the BMW 550i xDrive Sedan starts at $65,000. If it makes you happier, I'll remove the CLS550 from that list and change the comparison to the $60,400 Mercedez-Benz E550 4MATIC Sedan.

If the ELR is going to be priced at or higher than the E550, M56, 550i, and Cayenne S Hybrid, it better be a better car! While the bells and whistles are impressive (like blind spot and cross-traffic warning, lane departure warning, C.U.E. system, etc.), each of the other cars has similar bells and whistles. And the other cars are faster and larger than the ELR. The only downside is that the ELR is the only plug-in EREV of the bunch, but why would any intelligent person spend $82,500 for a fully-loaded ELR just for that electric feature when the Volt at $46,000 is a more efficient car that is barely a second slower 0-60?

I know most Californians would not be found dead in a Cadillac, so hopefully this can make inroads there, but to say an ELR with a $60k base price is ridiculous because it is slower and smaller than a Porsche Cayenne at $97k (comparable vehicle type) or has less cargo space than $70k Cayenne is ridiculous. The only real competition is a Fisker and it is a lot less efficient and costs significantly more.
    An ELR with a price from $67,500 - 82,500 is ridiculous, which is what Car & Driver estimated (see 6:40 in that video). As noted previously, the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid starts at $69,850.00 - not $97k as you claim. Of the five cars, the ELR is the slowest and smallest. And of all but the Cayenne S Hybrid, the ELR has the most expensive base price. (Forget about that $7,500 tax credit - it doesn't get applied to the price...only to your Federal taxes many many months later, and then only if you owe more than $7,500 to the Feds after all your deductions are applied.) The Fisker Karma is an even bigger waste of money than the announced ELR, I'll give you that.

I did see another article that stated the ELR base price at $60k, so it seems that GM is socializing that number. $60-75k seems to be more accurate than the original $49-58k estimation. Again, I would buy a fully loaded ELR at $58k, but not a base model at $60k.
    I agree! I would buy a fully-loaded ELR at $58,000 too because that is a good deal for what you're getting.

The ELR needs to be priced extremely competitively to get a hold in California where foreign cars are king. It's bad enough that the ELR is going to be branded as a "Volt dressed up in fancy clothes" rather than an elite Cadillac that just happens to be mostly electric. Asking consumers to pay $36,500 more to get a fancy Volt that gets less electric mileage, has less interior space, has less storage space, and only goes barely 1 second faster is just plain crazy. I hope Car & Driver was wrong in their price estimate.

DG2
    ELR is to Volt what Porsche Cayanne is to VW Tourrag. etc etc etc

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Without quoting your entire response, every reference to the price of the ELR, including the Businessweek magazine I just received today, states $60-$70k.

Every car you mentioned costs more than $60k and those cars that have a much less advanced drivetrain. The cars you compare it to are much less advanced and they cost more. I can also pretty much guarantee the ELR will come fairly well equipped. Where is the outrage about the Volt costing so much more than a Corolla, Sentra, or whatever? Why would anyone pay $45k for a Volt when it is an electrified Cruze?

The Volt and ELR are not even close to being similar. While the Volt and ELR share the same basic platform and drive train (but both are modified to give a longer wheel base and several changes to the drivetrain, like more a powerful motor and regen), and the design and interior are completely different. If the ELR was a dressed up Volt, there might be some merit to your argument, but the Volt and ELR are as similar as an XTS and Impala or SRX and Equinox. I didn't check the XTS boards, but are you complaining there about its price?

Sorry for my typo in the original post, I was comparing a Porsche Panamera, the only Porsche car that has an electrified power train, and then the Cayennem which is also is more expensive than an ELR.

I am disappointed GM is going to price the vehicle so high because in my personal assessment the ELR is not worth that price. That doesn't make the price wrong or a "fail". I'm not sure why people feel entitled to buy a certain car. GM has a duty to make as much money as possible off each car they sell.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by smithb
    Without quoting your entire response, every reference to the price of the ELR, including the Businessweek magazine I just received today, states $60-$70k.

Every car you mentioned costs more than $60k and those cars that have a much less advanced drivetrain. The cars you compare it to are much less advanced and they cost more. I can also pretty much guarantee the ELR will come fairly well equipped. Where is the outrage about the Volt costing so much more than a Corolla, Sentra, or whatever? Why would anyone pay $45k for a Volt when it is an electrified Cruze?

The Volt and ELR are not even close to being similar. While the Volt and ELR share the same basic platform and drive train (but both are modified to give a longer wheel base and several changes to the drivetrain, like more a powerful motor and regen), and the design and interior are completely different. If the ELR was a dressed up Volt, there might be some merit to your argument, but the Volt and ELR are as similar as an XTS and Impala or SRX and Equinox. I didn't check the XTS boards, but are you complaining there about its price?

Sorry for my typo in the original post, I was comparing a Porsche Panamera, the only Porsche car that has an electrified power train, and then the Cayennem which is also is more expensive than an ELR.

I am disappointed GM is going to price the vehicle so high because in my personal assessment the ELR is not worth that price. That doesn't make the price wrong or a "fail". I'm not sure why people feel entitled to buy a certain car. GM has a duty to make as much money as possible off each car they sell.
    Good points especially the profit margin. Porsche makes the largest profit margin per car in the industry. They can do it because people are willing to pay more fir a car they really really want. I think GM, with new Cadillacs, Corvette and highly desirable Buicks and Chevys our now in the that desirable place of having created cars that people really want. Hence, no more giving them away !!

If that's accurate, then everyone will be happy. We're arguing over hypothetical price points, which is silly. We'll know more next year when the car goes on sale and can at least complain about facts instead of guesses.

dengland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

As a 3 time SRX owner (wife's car) I felt the premium for the styling and features was a fair price delta over the other vehicles out there. I fell in love with the Converj concept. The Volt went from cool concept to "yawn". ELR has managed to keep me interested, but pricing might drive me away disappointed.

Does the $7,500 tax credit get applied in in a leasing situation? Leasing may be the only way I play in this party. My '04 Tundra has been paid off for a long time. Not sure what I will pay for the "priviledge" of driving an ELR for a fixed number of year. I don't see this car as a 10 year investment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.