need a little help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, need a little help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i 'm thinking about trading my 2005 sts for a dts. i love the sts but looking the dts offers ...
    lineman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

need a little help

i 'm thinking about trading my 2005 sts for a dts. i love the sts but looking the dts offers more for the money. are you happy with the dts and what are the pros and cons. like how does it handle at high speed, gas mileage, does the car have enough power, do you feel young or old when you drive it.

thankyou for any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Re: need a little help

My favorite Cadillac was the Eldorado Touring Coupe (ETC). In 99 we realized that it was on the way out since they just weren't adding anything new to them so I reluctantly changed to the DeVille DTS which is now called the DTS Performance Level. I have owned 4 DTS's since and that is all I can speak about since I never owned a regular DeVille. Personally, I hate to see them water the DTS name down with the non Performance Levels.

If you want to know what a DTS is all about, get in one and drive for 200 miles without stopping. There is no better touring car built. The car has better acceleration that you would ever think a car of this size could offer, With Mag ride and stabilitrack it will astound you when you push it around.

I was once rear ended by a truck doing at least 35 MPH more than we were doing. This happened on the Howard Franklin bridge in Tampa bay. Every now and then someone gets hit and they always end up in the drink. Even though we were hit in the right rear panel I never came close to losing it and managed to essentially keep the car in my lane. I thought I was really an ace driver until my salesman took me out and had me really fling the thing around which helped me realize just how well such a large luxerous car can handle.

I get 21 MPG avg when driving 80 and of course it drops in the city and I don't care.

One of these days, they will kill the DTS and all Cadillacs will be commie cars (ones with the gas cap on the passenger side designed for the world wide market) and spartan like the SRX is. I'll probably have to change brands then but as long as they have a car that has true lineage to the real (prior) 2005 DTS I'll own one.

I like the STS in fact my dealer had me take out the first V8 and give them feedback on it. I liked it but wouldn't give up a DTS for it.

Lanzz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T - looking at XTS Premium

I thought A LOT about the STS vs DTS when I was looking. The DTS is definitely not a performance car, but it is a luxury car with very good performance.

Power is more than adequate, and the handling with the performance package is surprisingly good for a large front wheel drive car. I fell for the large, comfortable interior in the DTS - the seats in the STS were like sitting on rocks, and the back seat in the STS seemed tiny for a car that size.

I don't feel old driving it - but then again, I don't really care what people think to begin with. High speed handling is good - but you definitely get some torque steer if you step on it hard in the middle of a turn - there are lots of little reminders of the difference between FWD and RWD.

Will you give up some performance with a DTS over the STS ? Yes - But, In the real world, especially in the northeast with the winter driving season, the DTS makes a lot of sense for a lot of people.

I have no regrets, but spend some time in a DTS - it may seem a bit tame if you are coming out of an STS.

lineman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for the replies. a test drive i will do. i am glad to see that your are happy with your dts.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Lineman,
    I have a fully loaded '06 DTS Performance Sedan. Now have 17,000 miles on it. As some of the others said, it is surprising what it can do if you push it.
    I am in Texas and we have some roads, especially in West Texas where you can cruise at a pretty good clip. At 100 mph it is stable as a rock. You can cruise in it all day without it beating you to death.
    Get a good radar detector if they are legal where you live. It will creep up WAY PAST legal speeds without you even noticing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.