annoying satellite radio information
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, annoying satellite radio information in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2006 DTS came with a satellite radio which I didn't particulary want as I have fully satisfying local stations ...
    bentley is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry annoying satellite radio information

My 2006 DTS came with a satellite radio which I didn't particulary want as I have fully satisfying local stations I listen to and what was on satellite wasn't that particularly different or interesting. After the trial period was over I was somewhat annoyed that all the station and other information about satellite radio remained on the radio screen. Now when I switch from AM to FM for example, I have to go through the additional step of pressing "FAV" to get the radio to show which stations are on that band.

Is there any way to get rid of this extra layer of annoyance (and safety hazard because I have to take my attention away from driving when I find and press "FAV") so this radio will act like a normal one or am I stuck with this "satellite-itus" until I get rid of the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: annoying satellite radio information

You can disconnect the satellite hardware from the factory head unit, and upon doing so your OEM stereo will never show XM as an option ever again. Unfortunately, I dont know exactly where it is located. Trunk maybe?

bentley is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the information, Jesda. It looks like you are the only one to reply. I am not quite sure how to do what you suggest but maybe someone else will have some information as to how to do it.

This manual explains how to replace XM with Sirius, so I assume that you can use it to figure out how to remove the XM tuner:
    http://www.tss-radio.com/images/SIR-...=%22sir-gm1%22

Open the trunk and see if you can find it there, and then disconnect it.

yourgmsolutions is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bentley View Post
    My 2006 DTS came with a satellite radio which I didn't particulary want as I have fully satisfying local stations I listen to and what was on satellite wasn't that particularly different or interesting. After the trial period was over I was somewhat annoyed that all the station and other information about satellite radio remained on the radio screen. Now when I switch from AM to FM for example, I have to go through the additional step of pressing "FAV" to get the radio to show which stations are on that band.

Is there any way to get rid of this extra layer of annoyance (and safety hazard because I have to take my attention away from driving when I find and press "FAV") so this radio will act like a normal one or am I stuck with this "satellite-itus" until I get rid of the car?
    I have a bigger problem then You have. every day I have to deal with people who does not read the owners manual. GM could actually save millions of $$$ just simply not print them anymore. nobody read them anyway.
    FAV is the option where you can store your favored stations. so what you do is select station that you like and then press and hold that small box in the bottom by FAV till that station is stored. they did that so you don't have to scroll through all radio stations to find the one you want. that's why you have those presets for

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Disconnecting the XM receiver would eliminate it as a band choice when cycling through.

You have lots of presets on that car, and it doesn't have to be on AM, FM or XM to switch. You can mix your presets for AM and FM so you don't even have to use the band button. I think this might be easier than ripping the car apart to disconnect the XM receiver.

I might also mention, you have to take your eyes away from the road and look at the radio for this to be "an annoyance" anyway.
    Just funnin' with you... don't take it too seriously.

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by gm_geek View Post
    I have a bigger problem then You have. every day I have to deal with people who does not read the owners manual. GM could actually save millions of $$$ just simply not print them anymore. nobody read them anyway.
    FAV is the option where you can store your favored stations. so what you do is select station that you like and then press and hold that small box in the bottom by FAV till that station is stored. they did that so you don't have to scroll through all radio stations to find the one you want. that's why you have those presets for
    I disagree with your attitude about user questions. While I love the DTS, it like most technology has some human factors and usability shortcomings.

I have been computer literate since 1964. I only refer to owner manuals if necessary. I expect the design and implementation of electronics and features to be self explanatory and intuitively obvious. Anything less is an obvious design failure. And when I go to the manual I am usually disappointed since it focuses on the "how to" perspective and is light on how it works and why categories. Remember one of the handiest functions of user guides is to allow a user to determine that something they did is "normal operation" Normal Operation often does not meet user expectations and they don't know if they erred, there is a failure or if that is the ways things were designed or mis-designed.

I had no problem picking up adaptive CC, the navigation system, and car personalization on my own (even thou the misguided efforts to "simplify personalization makes things a bit more complicated on the 2006 than my previous DTS's were.) The phone functions are easy once you learn to say help for a brief tutorial.

Some examples of lack of design insight include

1. You cannot enter a Nav address without stopping. Why don't they just tell you that when you attempt to enter one when in motion.

2. Hitting door lock before remote engine start isn't all that obvious either. I wouldn't have picked up on that if not for the salesman who knows all new owners stumble on that. Why couldn't the remote start command issue a door lock as part of the process invoked when you push the remote start button?

3. I agree that not everything about the FAV function is as intuitive as it could be.

Actually, if Cadillac would have included instructions on how to resync the garage door opener to my new car on a temp sticker I still wouldn't have opened the guide. When I trade every 2 or 3 years I always have to look up that procedure since it isn't something you should have to do otherwise.

I would be much more likely to use the guide if it was displayable on my Nav screen provided it was well indexed and had an optional theory of ops level so I wouldn't have to call the OnStar number and again be reminded that all they can do is read the manual.

Oh, and by the way, when one pays $50K plus for a car they would expect more meaningful information and less mommie scolds about using seat belts, operating turn signals and reminders that roads get slick in the winter in the guide. After all, I did have to know enough to drive to the dealership to pick up the car. Suggest a separate chapter dedicated to this level or boredom so I can rip it out and reduce the size of the guide by 50%.

Now, where do we normally keep this soapbox?

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a View Post
    I disagree with your attitude about user questions. While I love the DTS, it like most technology has some human factors and usability shortcomings.

I have been computer literate since 1964. I only refer to owner manuals if necessary. I expect the design and implementation of electronics and features to be self explanatory and intuitively obvious. Anything less is an obvious design failure. And when I go to the manual I am usually disappointed since it focuses on the "how to" perspective and is light on how it works and why categories. Remember one of the handiest functions of user guides is to allow a user to determine that something they did is "normal operation" Normal Operation often does not meet user expectations and they don't know if they erred, there is a failure or if that is the ways things were designed or mis-designed.

I had no problem picking up adaptive CC, the navigation system, and car personalization on my own (even thou the misguided efforts to "simplify personalization makes things a bit more complicated on the 2006 than my previous DTS's were.) The phone functions are easy once you learn to say help for a brief tutorial.

Some examples of lack of design insight include

1. You cannot enter a Nav address without stopping. Why don't they just tell you that when you attempt to enter one when in motion.

2. Hitting door lock before remote engine start isn't all that obvious either. I wouldn't have picked up on that if not for the salesman who knows all new owners stumble on that. Why couldn't the remote start command issue a door lock as part of the process invoked when you push the remote start button?

3. I agree that not everything about the FAV function is as intuitive as it could be.

Actually, if Cadillac would have included instructions on how to resync the garage door opener to my new car on a temp sticker I still wouldn't have opened the guide. When I trade every 2 or 3 years I always have to look up that procedure since it isn't something you should have to do otherwise.

I would be much more likely to use the guide if it was displayable on my Nav screen provided it was well indexed and had an optional theory of ops level so I wouldn't have to call the OnStar number and again be reminded that all they can do is read the manual.

Oh, and by the way, when one pays $50K plus for a car they would expect more meaningful information and less mommie scolds about using seat belts, operating turn signals and reminders that roads get slick in the winter in the guide. After all, I did have to know enough to drive to the dealership to pick up the car. Suggest a separate chapter dedicated to this level or boredom so I can rip it out and reduce the size of the guide by 50%.

Now, where do we normally keep this soapbox?
    can you name one car manufacturer that built a perfect car ? without any glitches, where everything is 100% perfect, where is not a single complaint.
    that's what I thought.
    when I bought my STS i've had some questions that I could not find in the book (witch i think was wrote by chines writers), and this is what i did. I wrote them all down and went back to see my salesman. we went over my list and he exlained to me everything that I needed to know, some of it i had to write it down so i don't forget. and that was it.
    now, all other features that did not make happy, i had to swallow them (i like that car in general). what else can i do ? and there is nothing dealer can do about it
    BMW is even worst with that idiotic idrive or what ever hell is that. people hate it. but guess what. they have to swallow it as well, bacause they want to drive a BMW. Porshe is the worst car ever by JD Power. but people buy it anyway. Hummer H2 is a complete piece of shit by JD Power and consumers. go to the rain season to the hummer dealer, and you'll see how many of them over there with leaking water problems. but guess what ? people still buy them. it's the hummer, it's the status.
    I hope that you are getting my point.
    5 years ago my wife told me: I want simple and reliable car. I bought her a brand new Honda Civic. and till this day she is happy with it.

American drivers are by and large idiots, cruising the left lane at 45mph in their Camrys and Explorers, weaving around with a burger in hand, thus the need for idiot-proofing.

I've been all over this country and love it, but the people with whom I share the roads are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    American drivers are by and large idiots, cruising the left lane at 45mph in their Camrys and Explorers, weaving around with a burger in hand, thus the need for idiot-proofing.

I've been all over this country and love it, but the people with whom I share the roads are morons.
    then would probably love the song by "GREEN DAY" . it's called " American Idiot" . by the way, that album took many awards

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.