Buy used DTS from rent=a=car company?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Buy used DTS from rent=a=car company? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was talking with a chick at Enterprise. Seems that they will sell you a 8,000 mile DTS for about ...
    ussyorktown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Buy used DTS from rent=a=car company?

I was talking with a chick at Enterprise. Seems that they will sell you a 8,000 mile DTS for about $28.5. I asked them, "are these run down?"
    Answer, No, "we keep them maintained to keep the warranty. The people who rent our Caddys are solid responsible businessmen so the cars are in good shape."
    Any truth to this? Seems too good to be true with a price that is about 3 to 4k less than market for a used DTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Re: Buy used DTS from rent=a=car company?

I wouldn't touch a post-rental Caddy with a barge pole. Sure they maintain them - TO THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM LEVEL, just to stay within warranty boundaries.

Maybe guys like you/me are responsible and treat the rentals we get as our own, but we are definitely in the minority. I used to hang with a Car Rental Manager and the tales he could tel you about the condition of some of those "luxury" cars when they were handed back to the manufacturers or leasing companies would make your hair curl.

The vast majority of people who rent cars aren't too particular about how they treat them, just so they don't get nailed with any post=rental charges for abnormal wear/tear. As long as whatever they did in that car doesn't incur a ding or a paint scratch, then they're golden. That leaves a pretty wide field for other abuses.

Add that variable with the rental company's mantra of doing the absolute minimum to keep within the warranty regs, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Hertz used to rent Shelby Cobras back inthe 60s. They ended up with alot of low-mileage Shelbys afterwards. Only problem with those cars was that most of the mileage was incurred 1/4 mile at a time, or on a quick rally course!

Lanzz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T - looking at XTS Premium

I have to agree with Frost on this one. They are tempting, but rental cars tend to get some VERY hard use. In addition to the customer, many of the employees of the car rental company are not gentle on the cars. If you really saw one you liked, I would be sure to get an extended warranty - transmission / CV joints / front end components seem especially vulnerable to abuse in a large front wheel drive car like the DTS. Many of the units end up with some sort of body work during their time in a rental fleet as well - would require a very thorough check by someone who was knowledgeable about body work to avoid getting a previously damaged car.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

My family's daily drivers for the past 20-30 years have come from a family friend in the salvage business. Most are purchased at auction and most are rentals (actually I wasn't aware that most were rentals until the advent of CarFax). Because they're reconstructed totals we get them cheap but they have limited resale value. We typically just run them as daily drivers until they're beat and junk them.

I can honestly say that I've never had mechanical trouble with any of them that wasn't caused by the collision damage. Currently, my brother has an '01 Grand Am that was a rental and it's been great. The Buick Century that was replaced by my DTS was a great car and was a rental. The only problem with them is that they are very bare bones. Rental companies don't get a lot of options. My brother's Grand Am has roll-up windows for gawd's sake. I didn't even think there was such a thing anymore.

My '01 DTS (flood salvage) shows up as a fleet car if you do a Carfax, but because it's an upper trim line with some customization (fabric roof) I suspect it was a corporate-owned limo.

Jim

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Interesting discussion. I rent several times a year, and have no reason to abuse a rental, however I have noticed some issues. Like checking a Grand Prix's driver information center and finding Oil Life down to 9% - did bring that one to Avis's attention when I turned the car in. I did sort of abuse a Nissan once when I followed an AAA map in Colorado and found out that just because the map says there's a road, it doesn't necessarily mean there is an actual ROAD there. Following the depressions in the grass eventually got me to where I needed to be. Also took a Taurus up Pike's Peak, does that count as abuse?

Most folks I have talked to in the use car business say it isn't that bad for high-end cars, because the people that rent them typically drive more sensibly than young 'uns. I must admit I had the opportunity to off-road a Deville in the Anza Borrego Desert but the thought never entered my mind.

Personally I got a "PEP car", one used by GM at their offices to chauffeur visiting execs around. They get rid of them after 6 months, mine had 5000 miles on it and every option you could think of except a sunroof (which was great because I didn't want one). And I saved over $20,000.

UGOTIT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I like the PEP car idea better than the rent a car,I know i'm hard on them when we rent them.

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

I got to drive an 02 Cavalier when my car was in the paint shop...I didn't exactly care about it but I didn't try to break it either.

The DTS is probably rented for comfort and sensible driving, if the rental is a RWD sports car then

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I'd pass on the rentals, if only because they tend to be so stripped. Also, I agree with Frost that they are maintained only in the loosest sense of the word. Caveat emptor!

Craig

5ehb724 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Enterprise's Cadillacs might come from a Cadillac dealer loaner service. Enterprise has some small rent-a-car offices on Cadillac dealer lots (like in Fullerton, California). They rent Cadillacs exclusively and also supply loaner cars for the dealer's customers.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

yeah but 8K miles? It may not even need an oil change yet? What maintenance is there by 8K miles? If they changed the oil 1 time, maybe checked the tires, that's it!

I'd be more worried about footprints all over the inside, gum stuck on the carpet, spilled milk in the backseat, lol

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

If you get it inspected and it checks out, then its a good deal. Keep in mind that the resale value may be lower if the carfax shows it was once a rental car.

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado Collectors Series and 1994 Fleetwood

If you can get if for $25K, buy it. You still have 42K miles to complain to Cadillac and get everything fixed that is wrong
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood- the sleeper project
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition WS6 Conv't- the show car
    2002 Cadillac Eldorado Collectors Series # 1572
    2006 Mini Cooper S BRG 6spd- the autox gokart
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged- wife's daily driver
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Crew 4x4- daily driver/tow vehicle

44 Mag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I purchased my DTS from Enterprise and have never been happier. Something you fail to mention is that in addition to the regular Cadillac warranty, Enterprise gives you a full year of roadside assistance where they will come, bring you a car and take yours and repair it, free. Also, they give you a years Catastrophic warranty where they'll replace the car with a brand new one. Enterprise on the average, wholesales 95% of their cars and only resells about 5%, so really it's the cream of the crop. My car was delivered to me in absolute showroom condition. I paid over $10K under KBB. How can you beat that? Maybe in some point in it's 16K miles, it had a heavy foot driver, but there's certainly no evidence to that. How many young drivers spend the $75-$90 a day for a Cadillac anyway? Most folks will spend less for the non-lux cars. I'm happy with mine and I think it's a best kept secret to buy cars from them.

papaisrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 sts....

i work for a car rental agency and we treat cars like shit! just my 2 cents.

Benbj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just picked up a 2006 DTS with 14,000 miles. It was a past Enterprise rental, but I got it from a Chrysler dealar. I paid $25,000.

About the only signs of wear are a scratch on the trunk about 2' long, and a broken lense on the passanger map light.

Although it was a great deal for me, I had mixed fealings about it. It seemed to cheapen the brand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.