Cruise Control Accelerates Downhill
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Cruise Control Accelerates Downhill in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I bought a DTS 2006 in November 05. I like it very much, but recently found out that unlike my ...
    Carlos Lugo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Cruise Control Accelerates Downhill

I bought a DTS 2006 in November 05. I like it very much, but recently found out that unlike my Buick LeSabre 89 and my Chevy Lumina 99, the cruise control on the DTS does not control the speed going down hill. It keeps accelerating beyond the set up speed in the standard cruise control. I am afraid that I am going to get a speeding ticket. The cruise control works fine going up hill but not down hill. I complained to the dealer and their service department told me that this is the way the cruise control works on this car. I could not believe it!!
    Anyone has experienced any different?

Please let me know if there is a cure for this problem.

Thank you
    NWM DTS 2006
    clugo@nwmachinery.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wps
    wps is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS III

Re: Cruise Control Accelerates Downhill

Hello Carlos, My post is the one about Downhill inadvertent acceleration problem. The DTS is a great car, very good ride and plenty of power. I have noticed the same thing you mention with our 2006 DTS. We live in the Sierras North East of Sacramento, so we see the same thing with the downhill coasting. I don't think there is a fix for this. We came down from Lake Tahoe yesterday. We had to shift out of overdrive on the steep grades, otherwise we would be going way over the speed limit. We averaged 24 mpg, not bad for a 4000 lb. car. Also it would be really hard on the brakes if we do not shift down. These cars are high geared, so they really coast in overdrive. We keep the car out of overdrive in town.

No one has giving us any help about the acceleration problem we are having. In the lower gears the car auto-accelerates with the engine jumping 600 to 700 rpms on downhill grades.

wps

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Sorry to hear that you are caught in the expectations trap. Cadillac and as far as I know all other maunfacturers avoid the pitfall of having to resolve design errors by never really publishing much specific information. They provide standard operating instructions but never provide details and leave the rest up to your expectations. You have a set of expectations as to how CC should work but they don't have any obligations to match our expectations.

They apparently hire new engineers who never drove any of the predessor cars that their customers have driven and therefore always seem to start with a clean slate and force you to adapt to their whims.

I made the mistake of buying an early 2004 SRX. If you are used to a pre 2005 DTS the SRX is a very disappointing vehicle. The standard answer I received after going in for several issues was that after comparing my SRX to others it was determined that my car was operating as designed. (More accurately, it was operating as mis-designed).

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I have seen a similar complaint on this forum before, possibly even that last poster's car.

I am doing some research to see if Cadillac provides for engine braking in 4th gear, I am not sure they do. If there is no provision for engine braking then transmission components will spin free when the vehicle speed is greater than engine speed and you'll accelerate going down hills.
    If engine braking is provided then the compression of the engine without the accelerator pressed should provide assistance to maintain your speed when coasting down hills. I know a couple of my older cars did not have engine braking in 4th gear and I suspect yours does not either.
    I'll let you know when I hear back from some of my technician friends with a for sure answer.
    The only cruise system that provides for brake application with the cruise on is the adaptive cruise control available on DTS and XLR (as far as I know).
    It only provides braking, however, if someone is in front of you.

I hope that Cadillactechnician can come up with something. As to my earlier entry about expectations, I am pasting a long ago entry I made regarding the SRX CC. No one at my dealership really liked the way things were working but they had to point out that my unit was operating just like the others.

As I said before, I suspect this is common to all manufacturers. I am a happy camper with my DTS but really question what is going on in the newer Caddy types where they seem more concerned with making Europeans happy than they do US citizens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this one more time. The cruise control module in the V8 is pooly integrated into the power plant. The best way to explain the failure mode is to set the CC at say 40 MPH. Then use the accelerate function. First of all there is a pregnant pause of a second or so where nothing happens and it feels like the car is slowing down.

Then it almost jumps ahead which is usually accompanied by a downshift. If you release the accelerate at 50 MPH, it will settle in around 47 MPH. The CC module to engine interface is not matched up well and everything the CC module does is overdriven. These symptoms will diminish as you increase the speed because the engine reactions are dampened out as you go further up the torque/horsepower curves.

I am told that the 6 cylinder CC does not act this way. It's almost as if the V8 CC is putting in the same ammount of throttle reaction you would need to make the V6 accelerate properly.

Now the official Cadillac (at least SRX) investigative technique is to drive a few other V8 SRXes and hope they work the same. When that is the case they then look at you as if you are an idiot and tell you your vehicle is working as designed. They won't talk about design defects and God forbid you should bring up a manufacturing defect because this thing came from the sacred Lansing plant. (you know, the one with more robots and less drunks)

Now you can challenge them with the statement that other Cadillacs don't fail this way. I have driven 2005 STS'es, Escalades, Devilles and my Deville DTS and can assure you that none of them fail this way. They accelerate smoothly and predictably and the speed stays where you set it. And this failure is not tied to the fact that the SRX uses the "stupid stalk" control mechanism. The STS has the same thing and it works smoothly.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a View Post
    They won't talk about design defects and God forbid you should bring up a manufacturing defect because this thing came from the sacred Lansing plant. (you know, the one with more robots and less drunks)
    That is harsh.

If you had seen how the front end panels, grill, frnders, hood, etc were aligned on the SRX you would know why I was critical of the Lansing plant. At that time, Cadillac was really talking up that facility. The right front door was so far out of alignment that the door would sometimes catch on the fender when you opened it. The car reminded me of a 1976 Dodge van that was completely asymmetrical when viewed from the front or rear.

The thing that really made me so "harsh" about the SRX was that it was garaged right beside my 2003 DTS. At that time, my Cadillac expectations were drawn from 1 Eldorado ETC and 3 DeVille DTS's. These cars are a hard act to follow and the 2004 SRX certainly couldn't do that.

TSS

First year models always have more quality control issues. I have not experienced those types of issues (or really any significant issues for that matter) w/ my '06 SRX. I don't doubt your claims however. According to the SRX forum, the 04's seem to be more problematic. Nonetheless, as a "Lansing-ite", I still think your comment was harsh. Glad you stayed with GM though after your bad experience.

Sorry about insulting you as a Lancinite.

I guess I bought the SRX because we wanted a hi performabce SUV and the 320 HP V8 with a 5 speed auto really caught my attention.

At first I was enthralled with the performance aspect and just didn't look closely at anything else. In fact I infuenced a friend to buy one. He had the ultra view which rattled so badly that they referred to the car as a Rattalac. Ultimately they lemon lawed it and GM re-purchased the vehicle.

I never will forget his text msg one night as he was walking down the highway for gas with a picture of the dash indicating he still had a 40 mile range.

About the same time, GM was pushing a JD powers notice that the Lancing plant was an award winner for quality.

Search my ID and the following string topics just to get an idea of what that thing was like.

Pass. Door Dents Fender

Assembly quality

(unfortunately the pictures for this one were deleted, they were pathetic and probably embarassed someone too much) I went to the dealers lot and took photos of many SRXs with the whole front end mis aligned)

To make matters worse, the 2 buyers in Saudi Arabia or somewhere around there talked about their folding mirrors (not available here for some dumb reason, Cadillac applied a computer upgrade that added almost a second to my 0 - 60 time because they retarded wide open throttle so that the 4 wheel drive vehicles would quit clunking because of gear train slack (applied to my 2 wheel drive and there was no back off procedure).

I quit taking the SRX on trips and just used it to haul stuff in and thought of it as a Chevy in White Diamond paint.

Anyway, I stuck with US cars even back in the 60s and 70s when Detroit couldn't do anything right and didn't care who knew. I had a relative who used to brag how he would jam the crankcase boring machine and have to sleep for a couple of hours while waiting for the union electrician to replace the fuse. It was so ironic when years later he gave me a maniacal quality lecture and how important it was at GM. My reply was where the hell have you people been for the last 20 years?

Seeing the front end on the SRX, listening to my friends' Rattlac and hearing continual excuses about obvious design defects being "normal operation" did make me consider buying a car manufactured in a country that was formerly a WWII enemy.

Now, I completely have the Cadillac Chevrolet out of my system and will just think plesant thoughts based upon my DTS.

TSS

Hey, no personal offense taken - I don't work at the plant or have any family members that are GM employees. It is just a major part of our economy here.

I also hear you - it sounds like you got an exceptionally bad unit. Which, I admit, is indicative of a potentially greater general quality control problem.

I would also be ticked off about the "re-program" which slows 0-60 time. When I bought mine, I knew what I was getting into in terms of performance. If my unit was faster, then slowed after a re-flash, I would not be happy. My v8 certainly does not feel like 320HP, but I knew that when I ordered it. I ordered it anyway b/c of the package it came with (18 inch rims, wood, chrome roof rails, etc) and for quieter engine noise, as the N* in my wife's SLS has been a dream.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.