need some help with the gmas 10 dts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, need some help with the gmas 10 dts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hopefully my post is understand able . well before we bought the car, a 90 year old man owned it. ...
    dts2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS

need some help with the gmas 10 dts

hopefully my post is understand able . well before we bought the car, a 90 year old man owned it. after he passed away its been sitting for a year or so and i dont think its been started in that time frame. we bought the car in January with 22k miles it has 28k i think. despite we take it on out of town trips and trips in town, it spends most of its life driving to work and thats only .10 mile one way so the car doesnt have a chance to get up to operating temp.

i took the car in to town (and i made sure it was up to operating temp) then i turned that v8 lose. car drives great still, no missing, and she takes off pretty quick.. so i did it again on the way home from the store. pulled it in to the garage and i noticed a rotten egg like smell. so i got down next to the exhaust on the drivers side and i can see a very slight haze coming out the exhaust. and i noticed the same smell like i was getting inside the car.

she puts 89 octane in. from what i asked here while back it wouldnt hurt the car. and the car doesnt have a dlc and she gets 14.8mpg and 90% is driving that short distance. which is good. so i assume when i got on it its burning the crap out the exhaust/off the pistons..

thanks guys. hopefully its nothing major

and to prevent problems, would driving out on the highway some like 5miles one way be helpful for it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: need some help with the gmas 10 dts

The smell was the catalytic converter...
    It was telling you that it isn't getting up to normal operating temperature often enough.
    That car needs to be drove down the highway for a good 15 or 20 miles.. at freeway speeds..
    And if traffic permits... slow down to about 55 and then quickly STAND ON IT till it gets to 75 or so...
    I bet it will make you smile...
    The NorthStar likes to be driven...

thank ya. that does make since so i guess that is why i see slight haze out the exhaust as well? so i guess i will have some driving to do.

oh and how is the speaker setup on the 2010 dts (base model)

with my dsp mod on my andriod. thing hits hard. and sounds good.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

I agree with Jim that it's your catalytic converter that gives the rotten eggs smell - I had a Crown Vic at work that did it no matter what, but then it operated in either putter-around-town mode or in emergency-response mode with no long trips.

Not to be a wise-ass, but why drive 0.1 mile to work? That's about a block - doesn't do the car any favors...

You should really take it on a 25 to 35 mile hard drive at thruway speed at least once a month. I don't know where you are located, and I know some counties in Northern California have no roads without a bend after 50 yards or so, but the rest of the country should give you some way of blowing the cobwebs out on a regular basis.

well gma is 66yr old. plus its hot in texas. i am the lucky grandson that has to take care of these issues for her.

we already made plans to take it out of town more often. we got a pretty straight shot going out of town with very slight bends. she was told not to be rough with the caddi her brother owned several caddi's (there is a point when easy hurts it. but being to hard can break stuff.) but i am a smart driver. so see no issues with getting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dts2010 View Post
    well gma is 66yr old. plus its hot in texas. i am the lucky grandson that has to take care of these issues for her.

we already made plans to take it out of town more often. we got a pretty straight shot going out of town with very slight bends. she was told not to be rough with the caddi her brother owned several caddi's (there is a point when easy hurts it. but being to hard can break stuff.) but i am a smart driver. so see no issues with getting on it.
    I'm older than your Grandmother, but I don't have anyone that can take care of things for me.
    But I do "DRIVE" mine...LOL

dang thats not good. i help her out with things that have anything to do with electronics, we bought a new samsung 40" tv for her to use, i needed 5min and she could watch tv. (off topic)

and what speakers are in the cadi dts base model? she has the one in the dash and 2 in the rear deck they hit pretty good vs my 14 cruze base model. with my dsp android mod (i am a audio junkie)

Quote Originally Posted by dts2010 View Post
    dang thats not good. i help her out with things that have anything to do with electronics, we bought a new samsung 40" tv for her to use, i needed 5min and she could watch tv. (off topic)

and what speakers are in the cadi dts base model? she has the one in the dash and 2 in the rear deck they hit pretty good vs my 14 cruze base model. with my dsp android mod (i am a audio junkie)
    I don't know what kind of speakers it has in the base model...
    I would think that is also has a speaker in the lower front corner of the front doors.
    Mine has a speaker in each of the four doors, a tweeter in each pillar by the windshield and a sub in the rear deck but I have the BOSE system in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I don't know what kind of speakers it has in the base model...
    I would think that is also has a speaker in the lower front corner of the front doors.
    Mine has a speaker in each of the four doors, a tweeter in each pillar by the windshield and a sub in the rear deck but I have the BOSE system in mine.
    thats what our setup is. i didnt think the base model came with the upgraded system (i assume this is a base model, doesnt have a nav, head seats, sun roof, non chrome rims). how is the speaker setup on that head unit>?amp?>speakers?
    i thought she had 6x9s in the rear deck. for some reason.

but she sounds good. but its a cadi,

and she got driven pretty hard yesterday. gma let me use the car in the city so me and my cuz can go some stores while she stayed behind with my aunt. (so i had the rpms up there at times about 5k getting up to speed, etc) and this car never fails to make me simile.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.