Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
I was looking at an 06 DTS the other day and I thought it looked terrible on the outside. The back end looked bland, and i didn't like the license plate in the bumper. The front end didn't look as good as the previous version, or even up to par as the CTS and STS.

#2 ·
I am so-so with the front, the side is the same out thing, since 2000, and I think the back is terrific! The back is ultra sexy! I still think that the Town Car is bigger, heavier and has lots more room inside. They need to give the DTS 7 inches more length, and make the front end look more prestigious and less "sports-car" ...

#4 ·
I was looking at a whole bunch of 2006 DTSs in NJ on Weds - I think it is very sexy - but the back end is bland.

The big win is the interior - very sexy and well put together - the Tuscany leather looks and smells great and the dark walnut wood looks slick.

I am looking to lease on in the spring.

#5 ·
Interesting that so many people dislike the back end, or are at least indifferent about it. I kind of like it, I certainly think it's better than the 2000-05 in regards to the tail lamps and I really like the large emblem in the center of the trunk lid. The chrome strip at the bottom edge is a bit too...Chevy, reminds me of the chrome belt that they are doing as a major part of their look now.

I'm not sure I like the bumper mounted license pocket, but it's not that big a deal to me. I'm coming around on the front end, but oddly I kind of like the 2000-2005 front a bit better than the 06 at this point. At least the grille, which somehow doesn't seem quite right just yet.

In any case, my next Cadillac will be an Eldorado (hoping to get a really clean 2001 in about 3 more years) and after that I would definately consider a clean used 06+ DTS unless Cadillac comes up with something else I like more in the meantime.

FWIW, the STS and CTS are great cars that I would consider driving but I'm less interested in sportiness/performance than I am comfort/luxury. That is why I will probably end up with a 06+ DTS eventually.

KDirk

#8 ·
Sandy said:
Ha, 'Ya...the back end is the cleanest & best designed part of the car. Uncluttered and crisp style.
I'm with you on this one - I think the back end looks great. I'll bet I'm also the only one who likes the license plate back down in the bumper where it belongs. I've never liked the plate up in the deck lid anyway. It just sits up there and screams at you and is waaaaaay too dominant. The back end is far cleaner and more impressive with the plate in the bumper.

#9 · (Edited)
One thing I don't get: The number of people here who PREFER the dopey Jack-O'-Lantern look of the '00-05 front end, as compared to the new '06. If ANYTHING, the front end was the worst part of the last model, as compared to the rest of the body lines and the rear that were (and still are...) very crisp and nice. ACTUALLY, I remember watching Car & Driver TV a few years ago with Tim Allen after he had done a custom TMV high-po Deville, and seeing him rave about the car's performance and luxury, but go on to point out to Jim Moss, (past/former?) GM Special Vehicles--how he tried to improve the "weird bug-eyed" look of the front with a custom grille. The head C&D editor said the same thing. Just looked WEIRD to me, and was one of the most un-Cadillac bits of styling I've seen.

On the other hand, I'll agree on the rear. Doesn't look bad, per say, and I wouldn't go as far as saying bland, but something about it definately looks weird--mostly the big, empty flat space of the rear face of the trunk lid. I like it, but there's definately something "odd" about it.

Well, that's all just IMHO:cool2:

#10 ·
Looks better from all directions including the inside. Front and rear lights look better. Plate looks better in the bumper and the lines of the car look better. I have a 2000 DTS black and shale and am waiting for a 06 performance package in the same colors to arrive. I did not like the car prior to 2000 because it was a car for Grandpa. Now the car is a large car that can look good to people over 40 not for people over 60.

#11 ·
mraccountant said:
Looks better from all directions including the inside. Front and rear lights look better. Plate looks better in the bumper and the lines of the car look better. I have a 2000 DTS black and shale and am waiting for a 06 performance package in the same colors to arrive. I did not like the car prior to 2000 because it was a car for Grandpa. Now the car is a large car that can look good to people over 40 not for people over 60.
After seeing a new all black '06 DTS Luxury model with chrome factory wheels go past me down the street the other day, it DEFINATELY stood out in person and had a much crisper, sportier look to it than, strangely enough, the last gen Deville that happened to be behind it. Your black and shale Performance package one should just look that much BETTER;)

#13 ·
SHERIFF said:
The back end looks like a 20 year old Chrsyler. Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves.
Oh, come on--it doesn't look that bad. If anything, I will say that it is a bit flat and lifeless (the trunklid at least), but it's very fitting with the shape of the rest of the car. Actually, I think all they could maybe do to improve it as a possible mid-cycle enhancement would be to revise the trim back there, doing something with the chrome strip, whether it be removing it, enlarging it, moving it, and/or modifying the emblems and their placement.

At least it LOOKS like a current day Caddy from the rear--no mistaking that.

You want a BAD design detail that GM should be ashamed of? Take a look at the frumpy, blocky nose they "cut n' pasted" on the front of the new Lucerne. Rest of the car is strong proportionally and nicely detailed, then you get to the front and it looks like a combination of the worst details from current ugly Buicks, namely the minivan, mixed with the height and squareness of a truck.

#15 ·
ussyorktown said:
Where do you go to get a used 2006 DTS (in a couple of years)? Do you go to an internet site, a friend who gets one at a car auction or just go to a local dealership?
Uh, in a couple of years, check ANYWHERE...there'll be quite a few used ones by then. Matter of fact, the used lot at a Caddy dealer would be one of the best places to pick of a Certified one.

#17 ·
Jesda said:
I just got a DTS poster. I have to have one of these.
I finally saw one at my dealer a couple weeks ago. It made me wish I didn't have so much time left on my CTS lease. I thought it looked great.

GB

#19 ·
I'm new to this forum.
When the leases on these 06s expire and they become available for purchase, where do you go for the best price? Do you buy from off of one of the internet sites, an auto auction, a dealer locally who sells at $500 above his cost?

Secondly, my wife is a Democrat and wants our next car to be a "hybrid" and environmental friendly. I notice that the DTS mileage is comparable to the foreign luxury cars. Is Caddy ever going to make a fuel efficient car or would you consider 18 mpg efficient?

#20 ·
Ask your wife what Bill Clinton rode around in for 8 years. That's right, a Cadillac that got about 5 MPG. Tell her if it was good enough for him, then it's good enough for you. Then tell her that instead of having a "sow" in the passenger seat like Clinton did, your Cadillac will have a babe in the passenger seat. Flattery will get you far...

In all seriousness, I doubt we will see a hybrid from Cadillac anytime soon. First of all, Caddy has gotten much more performance oriented as of late and hybrids do not equate with high performance.

Besides that, the type of people to whom hybrids appeal are not generally the type of people who would buy a Cadillac anyway. Demographically speaking, those who are environmentally concious buy into particular brands [of which Cadillac is not one] just as yuppies have their brands {i.e. BMW, Evian water etc.] and retirees have their brands and so forth.

I say if you each have a car, let her get her hybrid and tell her you're getting your Caddy. You let her have hers, then it's only right for you to get yours. If she doesn't see it that way then she isn't playing fair. Of course, if you are a one car family (does such a thing exist anymore?) then you have a problem I guess.

KDirk

#23 ·
I went and drove a new DTS this afternoon, and I was impressed. I didn't like the looks of the old 2000-05 Deville..to me it didn't look like a Cadillac, but I love what they've done to the styling making it into the DTS.

The luxury III level interior was very tasteful...with real wood instead of the fake plastic wood they use in the luxury I and II's. Fake plastic wood does not belong on any Cadillac.

I took it out on my "rattle road", a stretch of roadway that is guarenteed to reveal any squeeks creeks or rattles. None materialized...the car road smooth and quiet with no rattles. The noise levels, from both wind, engine and roadnoise, were very hushed...more so then in the 04 Deville that I drove a year ago. Engine performance was quick and effortless. All in all, I was impressed...and the price is less then last years Deville to boot.

#24 ·
caddycruiser said:
One thing I don't get: The number of people here who PREFER the dopey Jack-O'-Lantern look of the '00-05 front end, as compared to the new '06. If ANYTHING, the front end was the worst part of the last model, as compared to the rest of the body lines and the rear that were (and still are...) very crisp and nice.
I agree with you there..I never liked what the stylists did to the front and back between 2000 and 2005....it looked like an Oldsmobile, not a Cadillac. The 06 DTS makes it look like a Cadillac again.

#25 ·
Jesda said:
I just got a DTS poster. I have to have one of these.
Jesda, where did you get the cadillac poster? oh and for the styling of the new DTS. i like it, it has better rear end than the chrysler just because the quality and crispness is a lot better. im sure if chrysler could have made its vehicle like the DTS it would have sold a lot more.

#26 ·
i personally like the 00-05's better, but i for sure like the 06's also, but back end mostly just dont "click" with me....it may grow on me ....but that is for sure a "con" with it in my eyes....the 06's for sure have that sleeker look and feel about them...bottom line i would not throw rocks at either one of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.