transmission fluid!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, transmission fluid! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; last dumb question! 2008 DTS. 53,000 original miles i do not want to wait as long as the manual says ...
    Maunus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Smile transmission fluid!

last dumb question!

2008 DTS. 53,000 original miles

i do not want to wait as long as the manual says to change transmission fluid and filter. book says dexron 6

do you think it is reasonable to change transmission fluid now?

car is paid for, need it to last a LONG time!

thanks guys!
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: transmission fluid!

You're wasting your time and money. Worry about it after 100,000 miles. DEXRON-VI has been the GM standard since 2006 and is fully 100% compatible with the obsolete -III.

Does your car have an engine oil and a transmission oil OLM ? Follow them. They are accurate and they work - well.

Maunus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

THANK YOU submariner! i just cannot imagine a fluid lasting 100,000 miles! i DO trust you, you seem to know a lot! i will not change it now. i DO have an oil life monitor. i do not know if i have a trans. monitor. i did go 5,000 miles on a mobil one synthetic oil change, and used blackstone to test it. oil came back fine and they said to try 7,000 miles. it seems cars and fluids are WAY better than when i was a kid!

THANK YOU and have a great day! if it won't run, paint flames on the hood!! Bob

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Maunus View Post
    THANK YOU submariner! i just cannot imagine a fluid lasting 100,000 miles! i DO trust you, you seem to know a lot! i will not change it now. i DO have an oil life monitor. i do not know if i have a trans. monitor. i did go 5,000 miles on a mobil one synthetic oil change, and used blackstone to test it. oil came back fine and they said to try 7,000 miles. it seems cars and fluids are WAY better than when i was a kid!

THANK YOU and have a great day! if it won't run, paint flames on the hood!! Bob
    The fluids and oil are a LOT better than when you and I were young...
    I changed the transmission fluid on my 2006 at about 90,000.
    Had the coolant changed at the same time.
    Our cars DO NOT have a transmission fluid life monitor.
    I change the oil on mine usually at about 25 or 30% remaining... according to the oil life monitor.
    That may be too soon, but I feel better doing it that way...LOL

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Superjim it depends how you drive. On my last oil change 2 weeks ago I have put 2000 mile and only is 82 % it has 90 hours with the engine running.

Yeah, that ^^^

I run a synthetic 5W-30 in the car, usually about 7,500 miles, BUT because the trucks are the workhorses I change car oil/filter once a year - in March - regardless of mileage/OLM. My Blackstone results have been excellent. No worries there either.

The two F-150s run 5W-20 synthetic and they go about 8,000 or so on a change.

None of the vehicles requires any oil between changes. If I total up the ounces of oil added to the car between oil changes since 11/05 (purchase date) it comes out to just over 6,500 miles/quart. The trucks are over 7,500.

Blackstone ......................... and a truck air filter. The oil stabilizer is NOT the Lucas gummy stuff - it's a milspec petroleum product used for long-term engine storage - We use it in boat engines.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grullon10 View Post
    Superjim it depends how you drive. On my last oil change 2 weeks ago I have put 2000 mile and only is 82 % it has 90 hours with the engine running.
    Mine idles VERY LITTLE.
    Most of my driving is on freeway/highway with very little stop and go city driving.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Mine idles VERY LITTLE.
    Most of my driving is on freeway/highway with very little stop and go city driving.
    It'll last forever! lol

On a serious note, change the oil regularly ( everyone has a different opinion as to mileage interval), and change the coolant at 100K. But don't touch the tranny fluid. Unless you really abuse it, it is probably a waste of money to do a flush and fill on it, since you won't empty it all out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    It'll last forever! lol

On a serious note, change the oil regularly ( everyone has a different opinion as to mileage interval), and change the coolant at 100K. But don't touch the tranny fluid.
    Unless you really abuse it, it is probably a waste of money to do a flush and fill on it, since you won't empty it all out anyway.
    I don't think I abuse it, but I do like to sometimes drive it rather spiritedly...
    Every once in a while, on a good twisty road, if I am in one of my "Lets Play" moods, I will use the transmission to keep my RPM's up where I can drive deep into the corner while braking and then power out if it at a good clip.
    It pulls a lot better coming out of a corner if the RPM's are above 4500.

Tom52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    It'll last forever! lol

On a serious note, change the oil regularly ( everyone has a different opinion as to mileage interval), and change the coolant at 100K. But don't touch the tranny fluid. Unless you really abuse it, it is probably a waste of money to do a flush and fill on it, since you won't empty it all out anyway.
    I recently got by 06 DTS from my Dad's estate. He purchased the car new and it only has 47,000 miles on it. When I check the trans fluid it does not look cherry red. Is this an indication that I should drop the pan and change filter and refill? It is a long way from 100,000 miles and I can guarantee you this car was never abused or driven hard.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If it's not a fairly bright, clear red, it should be changed.

The filter can only be changed during an overhaul. There is a screen you can clean with the pan removed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    If it's not a fairly bright, clear red, it should be changed.

The filter can only be changed during an overhaul. There is a screen you can clean with the pan removed.
    ^^^^^^ what he said...

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Maunus View Post
    last dumb question!

2008 DTS. 53,000 original miles

i do not want to wait as long as the manual says to change transmission fluid and filter. book says dexron 6

do you think it is reasonable to change transmission fluid now?

car is paid for, need it to last a LONG time!

thanks guys!
    Bob
    It is foolish thinking to blindly believe that everything any auto manufacturer tells you is the "best you can do for your vehicle", is 100% true. There are many, many ulterior motives in any big business when it comes to how any manufacturer of any product represents their products to the consumer.

Just remember; After the warranty expires its your problem and they off the hook. Keep in mind the GM fluid only has to get you through the warranty period. After that the dealerships make a lot of money replacing expensive parts.

It is also important to note that lubricants are built with consumables that are depleted over time. Time is just a bad on lubricants as miles.

None of my vehicles have he Low-bid bulk GM fluids in them, its gone before 10,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    None of my vehicles have he Low-bid bulk GM fluids in them, its gone before 10,000 miles.
    So we are to assume that lubricants that come in quart bottles/cans are better than those that come in 55 gallon drums ?

Get your head out of the sand. Who do you think refines/packages "GM fluids" - or any other car manufacturer's fluids. Do you really believe it is better to run a production line by pouring fluids one quart at a time ? We buy Pennzoil and Drydene lubricants in 55 gallon drums for the marine engine business - and it's identical to the stuff on the shelves at AutoZone or in drums at the Oil Doodle.

Transmission fluid is NOT subject to the same deterioration as oil is from combustion and blowby products. DEXRON-VI is DEXRON-VI whether it comes in a tank truck, a 5 gallon pail or quart bottles - branded by whoever floats your boat.

hell - you're up near Lake Superior - how would you like to change the 125 gallons of oil in a pair of big pushboat engines - one quart at a time ? Even the turbo Cummins V-12s (4 of them) in the research vessel I captained for 12 years took 16 gallons of oil each. We loaded Drydene 15W-40 diesel oil in 55 gallon drums - 5 of them every 3 months - and used electric pumps to fill the supply tanks. Quart bottles, my foot.

hbrigiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS

Bob, oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy. What the hell, spend a couple of extra bucks and change your engine oil between 3-4 thousand miles and the transmission oil at about 50,000. Anti freeze also. Over the life of your car, you might spend an extra $100. - $150. bucks but your peace of mind is worth it. I was a Honda / Chevrolet dealer for almost 30 years and learned from long experience that the easiest way to keep your engine in good shape was to keep clean oil in it. I do and don't have to worry about it. 2006 DTS 116,000. mi with no complaints. hbrigiii
    Tom's Caddy and BlueAngel#07 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.