transmission fluid! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, transmission fluid! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Z71 It is foolish thinking to blindly believe that everything any auto manufacturer tells you is the ...
    tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post

It is foolish thinking to blindly believe that everything any auto manufacturer tells you is the "best you can do for your vehicle", is 100% true. There are many, many ulterior motives in any big business when it comes to how any manufacturer of any product represents their products to the consumer.

Just remember; After the warranty expires its your problem and they off the hook. Keep in mind the GM fluid only has to get you through the warranty period. After that the dealerships make a lot of money replacing expensive parts.

It is also important to note that lubricants are built with consumables that are depleted over time. Time is just a bad on lubricants as miles.

None of my vehicles have he Low-bid bulk GM fluids in them, its gone before 10,000 miles.
    Engine oil is the only GM fluid that comes in the big drums. Transmission, Coolant, power steering, and brake fluid come in quart or muti-quart containers.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrigiii
    Bob, oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy. What the hell, spend a couple of extra bucks and change your engine oil between 3-4 thousand miles and the transmission oil at about 50,000. Anti freeze also. Over the life of your car, you might spend an extra $100. - $150. bucks but your peace of mind is worth it. I was a Honda / Chevrolet dealer for almost 30 years and learned from long experience that the easiest way to keep your engine in good shape was to keep clean oil in it. I do and don't have to worry about it. 2006 DTS 116,000. mi with no complaints. hbrigiii
    What is "clean oil"? Oils have detergents in them that constantly clean deposits/contaminants from the crankcase. If the oil looks clean after a couple thousand miles, it's not doing it's job. Oil color (how clean it looks) has exactly nothing to do with it's ability to lubricate. Changing the oil every 3K-4K miles, while it is still perfectly capable of doing what it's intended to do, is not insurance, it's a waste. Peace of mind is one thing, but there is zero benefit to the engine.

As posted, transmission fluid isn't subjected to the same harsh environment as oil. It lasts a LONG time.

Coolant is changed in time intervals, not mileage intervals. 2-3 years.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: transmission fluid!

I was referring to what they use on the assembly lines which comes in tankers be it rail or semi, not what they are selling at dealers.

PS - Engines, transmission etc come from the engine/trans plant with fluid in them, they are topped off on the final assembly line.

Of the 2 local GM dealers you would be hard pressed to buy any GM packaged lubes from them. They don't have it (costs them to much because of minimum purchases they have to meet), they buy lubes locally because its cheaper and less inventory to keep. They are not required to use GM branded fluids. Also, GM has contracted suppliers the dealers can use. The GMC dealer here gets all his lubes thru Halron and they fill his 250 gallon oil & ATF tanks from bulk supply. The only 55 drums I see are coolants (not GM brand), he sources synthetic gear oils and most synthetics locally, from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    I was referring to what they use on the assembly lines which comes in tankers be it rail or semi, not what they are selling at dealers.

PS - Engines, transmission etc come from the engine/trans plant with fluid in them, they are topped off on the final assembly line.

Of the 2 local GM dealers you would be hard pressed to buy any GM packaged lubes from them. They don't have it (costs them to much because of minimum purchases they have to meet), they buy lubes locally because its cheaper and less inventory to keep. They are not required to use GM branded fluids. Also, GM has contracted suppliers the dealers can use. The GMC dealer here gets all his lubes thru Halron and they fill his 250 gallon oil & ATF tanks from bulk supply. The only 55 drums I see are coolants (not GM brand), he sources synthetic gear oils and most synthetics locally, from me.
    I never seen 55 gallon drums of coolant. Is it pre mixed coolant or you have to add water? It makes no sense to have 55 grams of coolant. Its not changed as much as oil.

The best engine oil has to lubricate, clean, with stand hot and cold temperatures. Im sure some do more than others. I would like to try this new Penzoil from gas with my next oil change. It's naturally cleaner.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    I never seen 55 gallon drums of coolant. Is it pre mixed coolant or you have to add water? It makes no sense to have 55 grams of coolant. Its not changed as much as oil.
    It makes a lot of sense when you're changing coolant in 20 cars a day, or in marine or stationary power plants that can take as much as 15 - 20 gallons at a time. It can be bought either pure or in several ratios, with 50/50 being the most common.

Automobile coolant and lubricant use is less that 25% of actual totals - trucking, HD commercial engines, aircraft, river and ocean shipping use the lion's share. hell - when loading a ship with fuel you do not take on "gallons" of fuel, you take on tons ! One oil/filter change on my small (385 tons) research ship took just over 100 gallons of lube oil and 8 filters the size of small trash cans. At cruising speed we burned 110 gallons/hour of #2 fuel oil (diesel) and the 3 tanks held 14,000 gallons of fuel. 5 quarts of 5W-30 and 14 gallons of gas is a mere drop in the bucket. How many tons of kerosene does it take to fly a 747 from Detroit to Tokyo ?

For you guys that perpetuate the myth of 3,000 mile oil changes, put that in perspective: 3,000 miles is 50 hours at, say, 60 mph at about 1900 engine rpm. Do you think for one skinny minute that an OTR trucker or a tugboat captain changes his oil/filter every 2.5 days ????
    danog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

It makes a lot of sense when you're changing coolant in 20 cars a day, or in marine or stationary power plants that can take as much as 15 - 20 gallons at a time. It can be bought either pure or in several ratios, with 50/50 being the most common.

Automobile coolant and lubricant use is less that 25% of actual totals - trucking, HD commercial engines, aircraft, river and ocean shipping use the lion's share. hell - when loading a ship with fuel you do not take on "gallons" of fuel, you take on tons ! One oil/filter change on my small (385 tons) research ship took just over 100 gallons of lube oil and 8 filters the size of small trash cans. At cruising speed we burned 110 gallons/hour of #2 fuel oil (diesel) and the 3 tanks held 14,000 gallons of fuel. 5 quarts of 5W-30 and 14 gallons of gas is a mere drop in the bucket. How many tons of kerosene does it take to fly a 747 from Detroit to Tokyo ?

For you guys that perpetuate the myth of 3,000 mile oil changes, put that in perspective: 3,000 miles is 50 hours at, say, 60 mph at about 1900 engine rpm. Do you think for one skinny minute that an OTR trucker or tugboat captain changes his oil/filter every 2.5 days ????
    Sorry, was just referring to cars.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No sorry needed - just pointing out that the automotive petroleum/liquids use is chump change when it comes to volume. The media and the government would like you to think we're the greedy hog users and thereby justify the taxes on us - but the average Joe is not represented by BIG lobby bucks when it comes to taxation protection. I burn less petroleum in a year in 3 vehicles than ONE short-hop jet does on a flight from DC to NY. Think about it. (and airplane, truck, boat, commercial engines don't have catalytic converters, either.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.