brake job costs - 2010 DTS base
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, brake job costs - 2010 DTS base in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone have an idea of the cost for a completed 4 wheel brake job including rotars for a 2010 dts ...
    hjr007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

brake job costs - 2010 DTS base

Anyone have an idea of the cost for a completed 4 wheel brake job including rotars for a 2010 dts base?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: brake job 2010 dts base

Depends on if you DIY - $350 to $900, or if a shop does it - $500 to $1500.

.........................depending on parts quality and "performance level" of the brake package.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: brake job costs - 2010 DTS base

Quote Originally Posted by hjr007 View Post
    Anyone have an idea of the cost for a completed 4 wheel brake job including rotars for a 2010 dts base?
    Why do you need to replace the rotors??
    Are they damaged??

hjr007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the car in for its oil. They said the rotors are pitted and may need to be replaced. The is 4-5mm left on the pads.
    I have 49k miles on the car

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I can't imagine replacing the rotors @49k miles unless they are out of specs (rotors turned too many times) or your vehicle has been driven in the east coast & exposed to the sea salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by hjr007 View Post
    I had the car in for its oil. They said the rotors are pitted and may need to be replaced. The is 4-5mm left on the pads.
    I have 49k miles on the car
    Have "YOU" looked at the rotors to see if they are really pitted??
    Sometimes the mechanics will flag something that is not really a problem.
    Sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose, just to get more work that you have to pay for but is not needed.
    I have almost 140,000 on mine and the rotors are still the original ones and have never been turned.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Have "YOU" looked at the rotors to see if they are really pitted??
    Sometimes the mechanics will flag something that is not really a problem.
    Sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose, just to get more work that you have to pay for but is not needed.
    I have almost 140,000 on mine and the rotors are still the original ones and have never been turned.
    Superjim, you are a legend and in the Hall of Fame for Cadillac owners. I respect all your threads and posts. However, it is hard for me to believe that you still have the original rotors on your DTS at 140,000 miles. Just by pure physics alone its almost impossible. The DTS is front wheel drive and the majority of the weight is in the front as well. Its a heavy vehicle too. The air shocks in the rear puts more stress on the front brakes. Now it might be possible to still have the original rear rotors at 140,000 miles because the dampening.

Also, the original OEM brakes were failing and GM upgraded them. So the rotors probably took a beating from the original brake pads.

If I'm totally wrong, ill buy new OEM rotors asp :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    Superjim, you are a legend and in the Hall of Fame for Cadillac owners. I respect all your threads and posts. However, it is hard for me to believe that you still have the original rotors on your DTS at 140,000 miles. Just by pure physics alone its almost impossible. The DTS is front wheel drive and the majority of the weight is in the front as well. Its a heavy vehicle too. The air shocks in the rear puts more stress on the front brakes. Now it might be possible to still have the original rear rotors at 140,000 miles because the dampening.

Also, the original OEM brakes were failing and GM upgraded them. So the rotors probably took a beating from the original brake pads.

If I'm totally wrong, ill buy new OEM rotors asp :-)
    Yep, all brake rotors are the original ones the car came on the car.
    They have never been replaced and they have never been turned.
    I DID NOT have them turned when I replaced the pads.
    They were not scored, they were not cracked and they barely had a lip on the outer edge that you could feel with your thumbnail, so I saw no reason to replace them.

In April of 2012, I replaced the PADS of all four corners when I replaced the two front hubs.
    I replaced the drivers side hub because it started making a little bit of noise after I ran over a big curb in the center median, to keep from hitting a stupid women that came barreling out on the street from a mall parking lot.
    I replaced the passengers side just because it had 90,000 miles on it... LOL

I used these reformulated brake pads on the rear...
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-09...&vehicleType=5

I used these reformulated brake pads on the front...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these hubs...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before replacing the pads, I had always had a brake pulsation and a slight shake in the front when the brakes were a little hot.
    The hotter the brakes... the worse the pulsation and the worse the shake was.

After installing the new reformulated pads, the pulsation and the shaking went away and has never returned.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by "tjwhite721"The DTS is front wheel drive and the majority of the weight is in the front as well.)[/QUOTE
    Weight distribution is irrelevant to brake component wear.

The air shocks in the rear puts more stress on the front brakes.
    They're not "air shocks", they're "regular" oil filled shocks with air bladders used for level control only. Neither actual air shocks, or the load leveling shocks on these cars have any effect on brake wear in any way, shape, or form.

Maunus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

speaking as a dummy, i can say what i did. i had my friend, a mechanic, replace the front and rear, pads and rotors. NEW original cadillac parts from the dealer. cost $600 for 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads. he charged me very little to put them on. they work GREAT. i would not use cheap brakes in any way.

it is possible that i did NOT need new rotors, but i insisted. best, Bob

Staticxd00d is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I just recently upgraded my front brakes with performance brakes from PowerStop. I got the rotors and pads for $200 shipped, and it cost me about 3 hours in the afternoon. The rear brakes are even cheaper, so... you can do it for less than $400, even with upgrades.

I gotta say... there's no comparison either. The car stops SO much better than it did before!

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by "tjwhite721"The DTS is front wheel drive and the majority of the weight is in the front as well.)[/QUOTE
    Weight distribution is irrelevant to brake component wear.

The air shocks in the rear puts more stress on the front brakes.
    They're not "air shocks", they're "regular" oil filled shocks with air bladders used for level control only. Neither actual air shocks, or the load leveling shocks on these cars have any effect on brake wear in any way, shape, or form.
    Well said.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.