Certain 06-11 DTS Recall? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Certain 06-11 DTS Recall? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by DevilleDeeman Why wouldn't GM just replace the whole key rather than an insert...will the insert still allow ...
    RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Certain 06-11 DTS Recall?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilleDeeman View Post
    Why wouldn't GM just replace the whole key rather than an insert...will the insert still allow keys and a Fob to be attached though???
    You will get new keys if the insert cannot be added to your keys (say the slot/loop is broken or severely worn)

the idea behind having only a center hole for a keyring instead of the long slot/loop so that the weight of your keychain is centered in the key and not leveraging it to turn

so they are only saying until the insert is added on your keys use them by themselves in the ignition (same recommendation as was given to ion/cobalt/etc owners while waiting for the recall to be performed)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Guido2014 View Post
    That was what I thought the recall said, was an insert....glad of that, a clever monkey could fix their own....I do remember when GM drivers [in the 60"s] would pull on their key to loosen it to come out of the ignition while the car was running.....
    I have had a few older cars with badly worn ignition cylinders, that you could take the key out with it running.
    They weren't SUPPOSED to be like that, but they were...LOL
    Guido2014 likes this.

Guido2014 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUXURY II

Right key baby, but the wrong key hole, yo!

http://youtu.be/qB81pBEJzIU

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

I checked for the recall in the My Cadillac page: http://my.cadillac.com and it doesn't show any active recalls at this time.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

it has not been formally announced yet by GM but it has been registered with the NHTSA so it is public and the news outfits all write stories about it

eventually (could be a few days, could be a few weeks) GM will have the recall officially announced and it will show up there
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Any updates on when this recall is to begin???

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I checked with my Cadillac Dealership (The Service Department) yesterday and the Service Manager told me that they weren't aware of any 06-11 DTS Recall. He did tell me that he heard some rumbling about it on the Social Media.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by jazoo View Post
    I checked with my Cadillac Dealership (The Service Department) yesterday and the Service Manager told me that they weren't aware of any 06-11 DTS Recall. He did tell me that he heard some rumbling about it on the Social Media.
    About halfway down the article...

Other affected vehicles include the 2004-'11 Cadillac DTS, 2006-'11 Buick Lucerne, 2004-'05 Buick Regal LS and GS and the 2006-'08 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

GM dealers will add an insert to the ignition keys of the recalled vehicles to close the slot and leave a 4x6-millimeter hold through which the key ring can be attached. In vehicles where the key cover has been worn, new keys with holes instead of slots will be provided for free.

The recall is expected to begin in the next few weeks.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm-r...y-problem.html
    BlueAngel#07 likes this.

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR

I checked with my GM dealer and they said my 06 DTS is not affected by this recall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.