Step by step instructions for replacing front strut bearings on 2006 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grullon10
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Step by step instructions for replacing front strut bearings on 2006 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have searched this site and googled for instructions for replacing the front strut bearings on my 2006 DTS. I ...
    Tom52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

Step by step instructions for replacing front strut bearings on 2006 DTS

I have searched this site and googled for instructions for replacing the front strut bearings on my 2006 DTS. I have seen some pictures but no actual instructions or YouTube videos. Anyone have this information or can steer me to a website?

From my research I assume my problem is the strut bearings. Symptoms are a slight clunk sound when backing or steering at slow speeds or even when turning the steering wheel left or right when sitting still. I also hear a slight clunk when going at low speed over any bumps. I assume it is either these strut bearings or possibly the intermediate steering shaft. The problem seems very similar to my 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up. The problem there was poor design of the intermediate steering shaft. Are the symptoms for a defective intermediate steering shaft any different? I don't want to change the wrong parts unnecessarily.

Back to the change out of the strut bearings, what special tools are required to remove the struts? I assume spring compressors? Any particular style or brand? What about torque specs? Can the struts be removed with hand tools or is an impact wrench required?

Pictures I have seen on the net indicate the tire must be raised off the ground, thus the strut full extended before removal? Is there any problem using a floor jack under the car in the area indicated for jack placement?

Car has less that 46,000 miles on it. Any reason to replace the struts at the same time? Other than the noise the car seems to ride fine and I don't want to throw money at it if new struts are not required. Oh, by the way, it has the standard suspension not the expensive MRC.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    If you have the base model the best thing is go to ebay buy the entire unit they have it for around 250 the pair. They are oem it come with the strut, mount and spring.
    Andrew224 likes this.

SRG963 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

Re: Step by step instructions for replacing front strut bearings on 2006 DTS

You can check the bearings by putting the vehicle on a lift with tires just off the ground, have a friend turn the wheel left to right, and check for bearing noises. Clunk noise may be LCA ball joint as well.

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

This can be done with a floor jack and hand tools. The front wheel of the side you're working on must be off the ground completely. You will also probably need to use the jack to support adjust the height of the lower control arm once you remove the lower mount bolts from the strut. I'd also suggest that you use a propane torch too to heat the lower bolts to help break them loose because they are on there really good!

Buy the whole assembly. I purchased a set from Detroit Axle and have been very happy with them.

Being that the car is only 4 years old and less than 50k miles, I think you're pretty safe to replace just the one side.

www.detroitaxle.com

I agree, it could be the lower control arm ball joint or the bushings in the arm itself. I recently thought I had a bad strut bearing, it turned out to be the front bushing on the lower control arm. You should get some help to pinpoint the problem before wasting time and money replacing expensive parts that are labor intensive to replace that don't need to be replaced.

hbrigiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS

Sorry but I need instructions for the upper front mount where the shock piston enters the engine dept. through a rubber bushing bolted into a tower. Mine broke through the worn out rubber bushing and is now beating a hole through the hood. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.