Advice needed for windshield replacement on a 2010 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick93SDV
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Advice needed for windshield replacement on a 2010 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other day a very, very tiny rock hit the windshield on my 2010 DTS. I examined the glass and ...
    Nick93SDV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sedan Deville; 1997 Deville D'Elegance; 2010 DTS

Advice needed for windshield replacement on a 2010 DTS

The other day a very, very tiny rock hit the windshield on my 2010 DTS. I examined the glass and it took me quite a while to find the impact site, which involved a smaller-than-pea-sized crater right where the glass meets the frame. Since you couldn't even see it without being outside the vehicle (and then only if you put your reading glasses on and know where to look), I figured I'd have it fixed at some far off point by one of those essentially free hole filling services that my auto insurance carrier will pay for and not dock my policy.

Alas, Mother Nature and Ms. Cadillac had other ideas. I live in the California desert, where 110 degree temps during the summer are considered to be a "nice" day. The first hot weather of the year had me running the A\C full blast, and within an hour, a crack started snaking out from that minuscule pit on the side of the windshield, and within a couple of days, the crack had made it about a quarter way across the glass and then doglegged south towards the windshield wipers. No quick hole filling fix for me anymore.

Dreading what this will cost, I went on-line but was shocked by what I found. A company called Safelite claims that they can come to my house and do the work, and according to their quote screen, they will replace the entire windshield on my 2010 DTS (without rain intensity sensors and as described "Windshield solar, antenna, w/third visor band, w/remote start") for just $239 plus tax. That seems amazingly low to me. My comprehensive policy deductible is $200, which I could use, but if it means a hit on my rates, I'd probably just shell out the $239 rather than just $39.

Are these mobile franchise operations any good? Would I have full functionality with a Safelite replacement windshield? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Nick in Palm Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Advice needed for windshield replacement on a 2010 DTS

Your glass is covered by the Comprehensive coverage in your insurance policy. No cost to you. Find your local Safelite franchise - repaired in your driveway and they do the paperwork.

Been there, done that - 5 times for cars and trucks (including the STS) - and, NO, it will not raise your rates.

If you read the replacement windshield fine print you might see that it is made by a Canadian glass company - one of the original suppliers to GM.

1restorick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

I replaced my windshield with a GM one. It was $600 installed.

cadillac_guy21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Dts
    They're charging me about 500 it was from the state their little construction they do that have little pebbles and rocks flying , haven't claimed it yet though to supposedly get reimbursed

kadylac1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CADILLAC DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick93SDV
    The other day a very, very tiny rock hit the windshield on my 2010 DTS. I examined the glass and it took me quite a while to find the impact site, which involved a smaller-than-pea-sized crater right where the glass meets the frame. Since you couldn't even see it without being outside the vehicle (and then only if you put your reading glasses on and know where to look), I figured I'd have it fixed at some far off point by one of those essentially free hole filling services that my auto insurance carrier will pay for and not dock my policy. Alas, Mother Nature and Ms. Cadillac had other ideas. I live in the California desert, where 110 degree temps during the summer are considered to be a "nice" day. The first hot weather of the year had me running the A\C full blast, and within an hour, a crack started snaking out from that minuscule pit on the side of the windshield, and within a couple of days, the crack had made it about a quarter way across the glass and then doglegged south towards the windshield wipers. No quick hole filling fix for me anymore. Dreading what this will cost, I went on-line but was shocked by what I found. A company called Safelite claims that they can come to my house and do the work, and according to their quote screen, they will replace the entire windshield on my 2010 DTS (without rain intensity sensors and as described "Windshield solar, antenna, w/third visor band, w/remote start") for just $239 plus tax. That seems amazingly low to me. My comprehensive policy deductible is $200, which I could use, but if it means a hit on my rates, I'd probably just shell out the $239 rather than just $39. Are these mobile franchise operations any good? Would I have full functionality with a Safelite replacement windshield? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks, Nick in Palm Springs
    I used Safelite last month to repair a quarter-sized crack on the front windshield of my DTS. I went to one of their locations and got it repaired in 30 minutes for $50. Last week I took my dad's Silverado to repair a crack on his windshield, but they don't repair cracks longer than a dollar bill. They ended up replacing the windshield for $208 and gave my dad a lifetime warranty on the install. From my experience, they do good work.

DSNCB919 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    I used safelite.. cost was like $360 I think but I only paid $200 deductible.. works fine rain sensor lane departure etc...

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR

My comprehensive part of my auto insurance covers glass at no cost...as Sub said it doesn't raise the premiums.
    Glass companies here in Ontario, Canada even take care of the deductible....not sure if they do in USA

Nick93SDV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sedan Deville; 1997 Deville D'Elegance; 2010 DTS

Quick update: I went ahead and used Safelite. There's a shop about a mile away from my house, so I didn't need the home service call (it would have just $25 more, which I thought was pretty reasonable). For $265.01, all taxes and fees included, they had my new windshield installed in a couple of hours. As far as I can tell, the placement glass is identical to the stock product. My replacement was a little cheaper than some of the other ones discussed in this thread because my car doesn't have the rain sensor.

I think the price is a steal and supposedly the warranty is lifetime. I expected some up-sell when I brought the car into the shop, but the service guy was very professional and didn't try to add in anything. I'll update this thread if something goes wrong but until it does, I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.

Note to the folks who suggested that I should have my insurance pay for it, since windshield replacements have no deductible. That might be true for some policies with special coverage, but my agent confirmed the $250 deductible on my policy. My rates wouldn't have been affected, since the crack wasn't my fault, but I figured that it wasn't worth the hassle to recover a $15 difference.
    Superjim likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.