Who else has had random Misfire issues? 2006 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Andrew224
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Who else has had random Misfire issues? 2006 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys and Gals. I own a 2006 DTS with 148k miles. Car has been great with hardly any issue. ...
    DTSon20's is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Who else has had random Misfire issues? 2006 DTS

Hey guys and Gals.

I own a 2006 DTS with 148k miles. Car has been great with hardly any issue. I keep up with maintenance on this car and it's in great shape.

But I have developed this issue these last few months. Before I dive into this situation fully, I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this issue to point me in the right direction.

Issue is MISSFIRE.

At idle or slight acceleration, I get random misfiring. Usually it's there, 80% of the time, sometimes it's not. PCM will not tell me which cylinder, just the p0300 code, which I erased with Hptuners, didn't want to loose my remote startup.

I've changed plugs, and checked wiring, all looks good. After I changed plugs the misfire did go away for about 1 week, then came back.

Before I buy coil's, and or clean and change injectors, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Since it comes and goes, I'm thinking possible bad ground, or wiring issue. It also seems to be worse when the engine is hot.

I know people will say, check coils and possibly change them, change fuel filter, run injector cleaner, use proper spark plugs, etc etc. Hoping to see if someone had same issue and solved it, what was their solution..

Regardless if people chime in or not, I'll let people know what I discovered.

Thanks !

clint

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    Change the coils and boots

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Who else has had random Misfire issues? 2006 DTS

Before changing anything and spending a lot of money that may not need to be spent...CHECK THE PLUG BOOTS really good.
    Look for any tears/splits and bad places.
    Also look for carbon tracks INSIDE the boot.
    Any doubt about the boot, replace it.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

My car runs great. But I do have at idle a slight cough I will call it a drop of about 50 RPM after the car is at a stop light for about 15 seconds. After the cough the car stays at idle as long as I want at the new RPM lets guess and say 610. No problem on acceleration and when I come to another stop the idle will be back at 650 RPM then drop down back to 610 after 15 seconds but NOT ALWAYS.

I have NO CODES.

Have you ever had this drop in RPM?

Could this have been the start leading to you having a miss now?

I would find which cylinder is missing before you do anything else. A OBDll reader are only $40-$60 now if you find one on sale and it will tell you which cylinder like P0340 meaning #4 cylinder.

Auto Zone will tell you for free.

I wish I could be more help but I'm also looking for help from you.

Phatalac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

same issues here all plugs done 3 coil packs replaced and still needing more, the car from time will miss so hard it jolts foward in traffic. no CEL or any other clues.

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

I had something similar before with an '06 DTS. After changing the secondary air injection valve, the spark plugs, and an ignition coil, the problem persisted but it was intermittent and might make the car die when I came to stop maybe once a week. Acceleration from a stop was jumpy too. No codes were shown. I took the car into Cadillac and a technician drove the car around for a few days with diagnostic equipment hooked up to the car to catch it when it would die out.

MAP sensor was found to be out of spec and causing the problem but not out of spec enough to trip a code Circled below on the picture.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...376&cc=1432039

The sensor is about $50 for an AC Delco part and is very simple to replace (1 bolt, 1 electrical connection). In my book, it might be worthwhile to change it to see if it clears up the issue. In my case, I paid Cadillac $600 or so to diagnose and fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I would try is replacing the upstream O2 sensors because I've heard about someone else having similar problems with no codes being tripped and the O2 sensors were replaced, clearing up the problem.

The MAF might be another sensor to consider changing too if the problems persist.

If you can do the work yourself and don't want to pay a technician to properly diagnose the issue, I say it's worth it to try swapping these sensors out. These are all sensors that eventually wear out.
    Attached Images
    Superjim, Phatalac and Tom's Caddy like this.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Changed my MAP sensor yesterday. Took a 60 mi. run today. Intermittent slight hesitation when coming back on the throttle at any speed is gone.
    Also when I was in there I checked the intake bolts again, found 2 I could finger tight, tightend them a year ago. Wonder if I should take them out 1 at a time & locktite them?
    Norm

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I think you have to remove the fuel rail to pull all 10 out Norm.

Great news on the sensor.

Phatalac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

i think you may be onto some thing there you just described my problem to a damn TEE!

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

I used the Standard Motor Products MAP ($31 from RockAuto) the last time I replaced a MAP in my remaining '06 DTS. Part was $20 cheaper and was shipping from the same warehouse that I had ordered other parts from through RockAuto and it works just fine.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...828&cc=1432039

It takes less than 5 minutes to change this sensor.

1. Remove electrical connection from sensor.

2. Remove 10mm bolt from bracket that holds sensor in place.

3. Lift sensor out.

4. Replace in reverse order.
    Attached Images

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Clean the dusty engine!

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Changing those rear plugs sucks a big one. If your having misfire issues best to diagnose which coil is not working correctly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.