2006 DTS not started in 2 years. How to proceed?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS not started in 2 years. How to proceed? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello I have a 2006 DTS Luxury III with the Performance Package. The car has not been started for 2 ...
    iMissTheDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

2006 DTS not started in 2 years. How to proceed?

Hello I have a 2006 DTS Luxury III with the Performance Package. The car has not been started for 2 years and has been outside through 2 Chicago winters. My question is, what preventative maintenance steps do I take prior to attempting to start it? The car has no known issues prior to parking it, well other than the notorious flickering headlight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    New battery get oil change if you can get royal purple synthetic oil 5 w 30 and get fresh gas in it.

Re: 2006 DTS not started in 2 years. How to proceed?

Thanks grullon10. I see the the royal purple on Summit Racing I can get that. So I assume I should have it towed to a mechanics garage and have the oil and gas replaced.

just heard someone say I need to have the rotors turned before driving... any comments? An ounce of prevention... as they say

Jammer53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

drain any existing gas make sure antifreeze is topped off fully charged battery, new plugs that should give you fuel and spark, provided the rest of the ignition system is functional. Get it started, then make sure brakes and tires are safe before attempting to do anything beyond a yard drive. and have a qualified mechanic you trust look at it

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer53
    drain any existing gas make sure antifreeze is topped off fully charged battery, new plugs that should give you fuel and spark, provided the rest of the ignition system is functional. Get it started, then make sure brakes and tires are safe before attempting to do anything beyond a yard drive. and have a qualified mechanic you trust look at it
    I second checking the tires, looking closely for tire rot, sidewall cracking as well as in the tread.

Thanks Jammer53, in regards to the antifreeze should I use the 50/50 or 100%?

----------

Thanks for the input BlueAngel#07, I am not very mechanically inclined? Is the wear and tear something I would be able to obviously see or should I remove the tires and take them by a shop?

Jammer53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

If the tires have dry rot, you will see obvious cracks in the sidewalls. Look closely around the rim where the tire seals. With regard to the antifreeze, doesn't really matter if 50/50 or not, just so long as you make sure it's full so it doesn't overheat.

Bottom line is anything we tell you here is ONLY to get you to a SAE certified repair shop where you have made arrangements to have the car gone over.

Good luck. I loved my 06 DTS so much, I bought an 08 ;o)

Kent7100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Don't forget to flush the brake fluid too!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The GM recommended coolant ratio is 50/50 with 70/30 permitted for extreme cold climates.

As posted, basically ALL fluids in the car/engine are suspect and should be replaced with new.

Because the car has been sitting for so long I'll take exception to using a boutique synthetic oil as a first startup change. Any name brand 5W-30 oil will do, exactly 7.5 quarts with filter .......... prefill the filter, get the car running, check it out, drive it 250 miles or so, THEN go to the oil/filter of your choice. ($75 worth of Royal Purple is a lot to dump after no mileage) You don't know just what sort of rust and condensation is in that engine, stored outdoors, so the plain ol' dino oil is merely a "flush" agent, so to speak.

If you know the car intimately, disconnect the ignition coil cassette ICM connectors and roll the engine over with the starter until oil pressure rises - and you'll probably need to connect a mechanical pressure gauge to the oil filter adapter at the pressure sending switch port. Royal, screaming, murderous pain in the butt.

In any event, bringing a severely neglected car back to life is a labor of love.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Just my humble opinion having done this several times. Check the fluid levels and tires and start it up. I even left my Deville outside for 14 months in salty air of Hawaii. That sucker turned over like it was brand new. I just recently had to do the same thing again for both of my cars. Both of them started up like brand new. Yes, even my 19 year old deville.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by grullon10
    New battery get oil change if you can get royal purple synthetic oil 5 w 30
    Change the oil. Brand is totally irrelevant.

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    I recommend royal purple because is a very oil to break in a motor

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.