Please tell me this is a joke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By Captain Starbucks
  • 2 Post By big greg
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Please tell me this is a joke in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I notice some oil drips under the right front engine, behind the right front wheel. Take it to my ...
    Jammer53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Please tell me this is a joke

So I notice some oil drips under the right front engine, behind the right front wheel. Take it to my brother in law who is a service manage at a national tire/repair chain. He changes the oil and adds dye. We clean it all up and I drive it for 15 minutes. Come back, oil leaks from the bottom of the timing chain cover. The bolts are quite loose, so he snugs them all up (except the one behind the pulley which he cannot get at), cleans up again, and I take if for another drive. Back on the lift. Leaking pretty bad.

Conclusion: timing cover is leaking and needs to be replaced. His estimate: 4.9 hrs at $96/hr. Except the only Northstar tech he had was fired last week, so he can't to the job.

So, I go to my local Cadillac dealer. He wants to do his own diagnostics but based on the above, he says TWENTY HOURS labor at $77/hr, plus parts.

HUH??? That's over $1500 for a freaking oil leak?

Is this for real??

Also, I did a search and found hundreds of complaints about oil leaks and whatnot on all kinds of Cadillacs. What is this the Harley Davidson of the four wheelers??? Which begs the question. If there are so many owners complaining about oil leaks, why wouldn't they recall?

And yes, the car is an 08 DTS with 127000 miles, but still. It's not like they don't have an issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    20 hours is complete BS unless they plan on removing the engine to do it...

If you look online, you'll find all kinds of complaints for all kinds of problems on every car. Nobody posts to let you know there's nothing wrong with their car.

Timing chain cover gaskets are not a "common" Northstar issue. My advice would be to go to a different shop.
    mwilson and jstynjudge like this.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Please tell me this is a joke

What Moistcabbage said...
    Take it to a different shop...I don't think that estimate is right.
    Timing cover leaks are pretty rare... rear valve cover leaks and half case leaks are a lot more common.

Captain Starbucks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet

For that much money, I'd try and get motivated yourself and at least see if you can find a way to check the last bolt for tightness. I bought my 07 a few months ago with 100K and it had a leak right there where you say. Took it home, tightened up all the bolts and leak is gone. I do remember using a decent sized extension/u-joint to get at some of them and a short wrench to get at others.
    mike5514 likes this.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    I took a cheap 10mm wrench and ground it thin to get the bolt behind the harmonic. All three were like 3 turns loose.
    mike5514 and Tom's Caddy like this.

Thanks guys. In re: to loose bolts. Is this a symptom of an all aluminum block?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The high prices are called "The Cadillac Tax". Shops assume that if you can afford to drive a Cadillac you need to "share your wealth".
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    The high prices are called "The Cadillac Tax". Shops assume that if you can afford to drive a Cadillac you need to "share your wealth".
    LOL. I'll resist the political implications of that statement. ;o)

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer53 View Post
    Thanks guys. In re: to loose bolts. Is this a symptom of an all aluminum block?
    No. More likely seal has compressed or shrank. Must be an issue with the later N* as I haven't heard of any earlier years leaking there.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I've just left my car with a local repair shop, where I was promised "no more than $500". We shall see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.