Anything I should know before changing my radiator. 07 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Anything I should know before changing my radiator. 07 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I'm changing the radiator on my 2007 DTS base. I've ordered all oem parts, radiator, upper and lower ...
    Rocc4Rocc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Cadillac Deville, 03 Cadillac STS, 07 Cadillac DTS

Anything I should know before changing my radiator. 07 DTS

Hey guys, I'm changing the radiator on my 2007 DTS base. I've ordered all oem parts, radiator, upper and lower hose. Anything I should know before starting the job. Any response will be appreciated, you guys have never let me down before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: Anything I should know before changing my radiator. 07 DTS

I have not changed a rad for almost 30 years on my 1975 Impala which seemed to blow one every 6 months, back then I would go to the wreckers and get one for $25. I was able to do the change in 45minutes. Not today.

I would make sure you do not need a special tool to disconnect and reconnect the tranny cooler lines would be my worst fear. I know they are not as bad on my DTS as they are on my CTS. Take caution on those please. I hope someone that has done this job can help you with the tool part # if you don't have one already. You want to do that part right if it is going into soft aluminum like my CTS.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    No special tools needed. Just warning that the bracket for the hood latch is a pain. It doesn't move very far. Be careful when putting the new one in. The new rad should have new clips in it for cooler lines. So don't worry about losing the old

Thanks for your replies guys, I will change it tomorrow. I have a quick question, I was just looking at my radiator, and noticed it's behind what I thought was the radiator. What part is in front of the radiator? (It looks like a radiator itself at first glance).

image.jpg
    (Number 1) I have this one on hand.

image.jpg
    (Number 1) I don't have this one on hand.

Both of them are coming up as the same part number.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

In front of the radiator is the AC condenser... and yes, it does look like a radiator...

wellswa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Rocc4Rocc View Post
    Hey guys, I'm changing the radiator on my 2007 DTS base. I've ordered all oem parts, radiator, upper and lower hose. Anything I should know before starting the job. Any response will be appreciated, you guys have never let me down before.
    How did your radiator project turn out? Mine is leaking as well and I was wondering if it is a do it yourself project or not. I had a shop tell me the front bumper, bumper cover and A/C condensor has to be removed to get the radiator out. That also would require recharging the A/C when finished. Looking at the radiator, I'm not so sure it all has to be taken out to get at the radiator. Thanks in advance for your reply to this thread.

No I haven't done it yet, I plan on replacing the ac condenser and radiator together. I tried to remove the ac condenser today and was unable to do so, there is a very small fastener that connects the ac condenser hose to the radiator, and was unable to remove it. It seems like I will have to remove the radiator with it.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

I R&R the radiator on my 97 did not have to remove the condensor I removed the fans and trans. lines etc. pushed the condensor forward slightly. Pulled radiator up and out its held at the bottom with rubber mounts. Mike

Hey guys, I just changed my radiator and condenser. I thought I purged the air, by having it up on ramps and leaving the reservoir cap off. I ran it till it got to average temperature. I also had the heat all the way on high. I just drive about 3 miles and it started overheating by a couple bars. The air blowing was intermittent, while idle it blew cold when accelerating it got hot. I'm pretty sure there's air stuck in the lines, this happened to me back when I changed the water pump and it purged itself in a couple days. Any advice guys, thanks in advance.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

Needs more coolant check and fill when cold on flat ground

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to get all the air out. But revving it then shutting down. Adding coolant as needed. Then starting up again. Repeat

wellswa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS

Hey guys, I just changed my radiator and condenser. I thought I purged the air, by having it up on ramps and leaving the reservoir cap off. I ran it till it got to average temperature. I also had the heat all the way on high. I just drive about 3 miles and it started overheating by a couple bars. The air blowing was intermittent, while idle it blew cold when accelerating it got hot. I'm pretty sure there's air stuck in the lines, this happened to me back when I changed the water pump and it purged itself in a couple days. Any advice guys, thanks in advance.
    Rocc4Rocc, How did the R&R go with the radiator? What had to be removed to get it out? Bumper,bumper cover like the guy told me. How hard were the trans cooler lines to remove and replace? I haven't yet decided whether or not to tackle it myself. Thanks, Warren

@wellswa
    I ended up removing the bumper, bumper cover, impact bar, and the hood latch assembly (the bars that go over the radiator and condenser). Pretty much all the front end of the car. The more you take off the the easier it is to work on removing the cooling hoses and all other fasteners. The trans cooling line at the bottom was the hardest one to remove, that was the last one I removed. After removing all the fasteners, I had to tilt the radiator side ways to be able to get to it. I also decided to remove the condenser as well, if you try to remove just the radiator and leave the condenser it makes it nearly impossible. The work area is just to restricted. My freon had run out so I was planning on recharging my A/C anyways. The job was time consuming but fairly easy, you also get the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Let me know if you have any questions, I wish you the best of luck.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

@wellswa
    I ended up removing the bumper, bumper cover, impact bar, and the hood latch assembly (the bars that go over the radiator and condenser). Pretty much all the front end of the car. The more you take off the the easier it is to work on removing the cooling hoses and all other fasteners. The trans cooling line at the bottom was the hardest one to remove, that was the last one I removed. After removing all the fasteners, I had to tilt the radiator side ways to be able to get to it. I also decided to remove the condenser as well, if you try to remove just the radiator and leave the condenser it makes it nearly impossible. The work area is just to restricted. My freon had run out so I was planning on recharging my A/C anyways. The job was time consuming but fairly easy, you also get the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Let me know if you have any questions, I wish you the best of luck.
    Did you require any special tools of any kind?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.