Vibration under acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Vibration under acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my '07 DTS with 93k and I have changed the front motor mount and torque strut to no avail. ...
    peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

Vibration under acceleration

On my '07 DTS with 93k and I have changed the front motor mount and torque strut to no avail. From all the research I've done I'm expecting that I have a CV joint that is bad. Has anyone had this issue? How difficult is it to change the cv joint/axle shafts. They are reasonable in cost so I probably should change both sides. Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Gomaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS II

Re: Vibration under acceleration

does it happen when u reach a certian speed?

No certain speed. I can feel it during any level of acceleration. Of course, the heavier the acceleration, the more pronounced the shutter is. If I really baby it, it's not very noticeable. I can really feel it if I accelerate from 50 to 70 hard like when merging onto the interstate.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Have you tried turning traction control off? I have some vibration on full throttle accel that goes away when traction control is disabled. Not sure why that would have an affect, but it does. Don't have the issue with moderate accel.

Gomaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS II

could be in need of spark plug and wires

i turned off the traction control but there was no change.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Same thing with my GTP had to change CV joints and problem was solved. Most mechanics have a hard time pin pointing the CV joint, take a good one you trust on drive with you and show him.

One other thing are the boots leaking any Green Grease. Mine never did so like I said it was hard to say CV joints for sure but it was.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Good Afternoon peryan,

I apologize that you are still experiencing this matter with your DTS after replacing the front motor mount and torque strut. I see that you have received some advice from our wonderful forum members and that you may be trying to take care of this on your own; however, if you decide that you would like to work with your local Cadillac dealership and would like us to assist with setting that up, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thx. Both inner and outer CV boots on both sides look new. No cuts and not leaking any grease. Also, I don't see any axial play on either side by trying to rotate the half shafts by hand while in park. I am really leaning towards the cv joints. Did your GTP have a shutter while under acceleration as well?

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by peryan View Post
    Thx. Both inner and outer CV boots on both sides look new. No cuts and not leaking any grease. Also, I don't see any axial play on either side by trying to rotate the half shafts by hand while in park. I am really leaning towards the cv joints. Did your GTP have a shutter while under acceleration as well?
    Yes shutter on acceleration was the only sign I had.

Before doing anything else I would go to a real good tire place, ( if you have not done so already ) and have them Road Force Balance you're tires. This is only $75 cost compared to $700-$900 for the CV Joints.

Our DTS is very touchy about wheel balance and when you said 50-70 mph that is when balancing would show up. I had to get a good shop to do my Cadillac the Caddy dealer did not have the machine to RFB my DTS and vibration at 60 mph went away for me. GTP was CV JOINTS.

Thx. I failed to include that I get the shutter at almost any speed but only while accelerating. From 50-70 mph is more of a vibration than a shutter and I'm sure the tires could use a balance as they have 35k on them. As the trans shifts into second gear, I can feel the shutter beginning. It appears only under load, then smooths out so that is why I am suspecting the cv joints.thanks in advance for the info.

2007DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

The advice about plugs and wires saved me a lot of money a couple of years ago. If you have a lot of miles on them I would go the cheap route first. If that doesn't fix it at least you don't have to do it later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.