WOOOOkay! Just got pulled over by the police!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cadillac Shawn
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, WOOOOkay! Just got pulled over by the police! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just got pulled over by the police. They said my rear ABOVE brake light was not working on my Cadillac ...
    Cadillac Shawn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS Northstar

WOOOOkay! Just got pulled over by the police!

Just got pulled over by the police. They said my rear ABOVE brake light was not working on my Cadillac DTS 2006. It's LED, so I was quite shocked to hear this. Either wire, or fuse. So I'm looking for the fuse box fuse that says rear tail light / brake light what have you, and I can't find the word's tail light or brake light in the owners manual. Granted, it's 1am and it's dark outside with a flashlight. I want to get it fixed right away to comply with the police who were very nice to let me go with a warning. Well, I want to comply anyway because I want my car to be tip top shape and safe for everyone including the other driver. So, I looked under the hood and found what I thought was it, R12 fuse but's it's a block and I can't see inside it to see if the fuse is blown. Is that the right one? OR, is there a fuse block somewhere else I have yet to figure out that I need to go to fix the light. Either it's a fuse or its wire because it's definitely an LED! So that could not have burnt out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Yes they burn out I had a 06 DTS that I had to replace the light twice and they are not cheap. Do test get some one to step on the brake if some of the light come on the unit it is bad . the price for it is around 200 bucks

Re: WOOOOkay! Just got pulled over by the police!

Actually NOTHING comes on. It's completely dark. No light at all. I'm figuring it's a fuse. The damn Owners Manual says pretty much every damn other light BUT the one I want. It says ''driver's parking lamp,'' "passenger's parking lamp,'' ''Drivers low beam,'' ''Passenger's low beam,'' ''Driver's marker lamp,'' ''Passenger's marker light,'' ''interior courtesy light,'' ''Drivers head light,'' ''Passenger's head light,'' pretty much EVERY damn light minus a ''Bud Lite'' but yet NO REAR TAIL LIGHT OR BRAKE LIGHT!!! GHAAAAAAAAAD!!!! In common sense terms GM! Please! GEESH! It's probably called something stupid like, ''Rear back seat passengers upper safety light,'' or something I'll never guess at and won't find. Went to the dealer, 7am, too early. Service is closed and so is parts till like 9am. Going to try there later this morning.

Is there a way I can test that light? Just the way I wanted to spend my first 80 degree Saturday of the summer. (rolling eyes)

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Rear fuse box fuse f18 (CHMSL/BCK_UP) 10a CENTER HIGH MOUNTED STOP LIGHT

FOUND IT! Just came back from the Dealer. I swapped it with another ten amp and it still didn't light up. Whole bar is out. I hear there is a way to fix it. Some type of new circuit board or balast? I'm sure it's complicated but I'm very mechanically inclined. If anyone knows how to get it working, let me know. I got all day and nothing else to do. And I'm NEVER up at 7am but I am today and might as well get to work on it!

Thanks Grullon10. Thanks Danog!

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

It is fuse F-18, "Center High Mounted Stop Lamp, Back-up Lamps".

See Pages 5-98 & 5-99 of the Owner's Manual.

Found it 10 hours earlier jazoo! Thanks anyway! I have no way of testing the wire. I figure it's the light. I swapped the 10 amp fuse out with another and the problem still existed so I figure it's the light. I see the new light on Ebay is like $250! That's nuts! I hear there is a place LEDFIXIT that takes your old one and replaces it with a rebuilt they used from someone else. Hate to blow that kind of dough and get one that's all weather beaten and scratched up.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Might check with Logan.
    http://www.ledfix.com/

Yes Ranger, I did see that online somewhere either on here or on Google etc. I spent yesterday a few minutes looking. One thing is for sure, there has to be a better way to replace stuff like this. With LED tech, you'd think you could pull this thing apart and fix what's wrong with it yourself with some solder and some common sense know how. Thanks for the link!

Lizzys Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera!

We fixed my daughters Catera with inexpensive 12V LED strip, works like a charm. Just bought a DTS last week and I did check the center light, so no issues with it yet. FYI, I used the warm white LED on the Cat and it was a good color match.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Can't believe that no one mentioned this. The wires follow the harness to the trunk lid arms. About 6 inches from the trunk lid they constantly bend from the lid opening and closing. After 8 years of bending, they crack according to a guy that does electrical work on cars around here. I checked it and sure enough, cracked clean. Both blue and black wire. Simply spliced them back together, black taped it all back up and it's fixed! Total cost, $0.00! I got the idea it could be a wire when I decided to not buy a new part if I didn't need it. I saw in small letters on the back of the light bar it said, 13.4v. So I hooked up 12 volts to it via my battery and some wire to test it and low and behold it came on in full bar lit up. I figured it was electrical then and a buddy told me.
    jsorrell and Gomaz like this.

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Shawn View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Can't believe that no one mentioned this. The wires follow the harness to the trunk lid arms. About 6 inches from the trunk lid they constantly bend from the lid opening and closing. After 8 years of bending, they crack according to a guy that does electrical work on cars around here. I checked it and sure enough, cracked clean. Both blue and black wire. Simply spliced them back together, black taped it all back up and it's fixed! Total cost, $0.00! I got the idea it could be a wire when I decided to not buy a new part if I didn't need it. I saw in small letters on the back of the light bar it said, 13.4v. So I hooked up 12 volts to it via my battery and some wire to test it and low and behold it came on in full bar lit up. I figured it was electrical then and a buddy told me.
    Awesome news! Unfortunately for me half of my bar lit up so I knew it was the LEDS, I got a new bar for $225 on ebay new in the box. Dealer wanted a LOT more >:-( Anyhow again great news and hopefully it helps someone else on here one day! :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.