Questions before buying...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Questions before buying... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all, I'm looking to join the Caddy family and am currently looking at an '07 DTS LII . I've ...
    Primitive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Questions before buying...

Hey all,

I'm looking to join the Caddy family and am currently looking at an '07 DTS LII . I've done extensive research on the car and fell in love with it. This will be my first purchase from a dealer, they are asking $13k the car looks flawless with 72k miles I don't really know how to negotiate so what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: Questions before buying...

If it is what you want buy it, you will love the DTS. Welcome to the Cadillac Family.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Sounds like decent price but I would offer $13,000 out the door & be prepared to walk. They'll call the next day.
    JWID Norm
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Thanks. I forgot to mention it's "certified pre owned" and "qualifies" for 5 year 100k mile warranty...

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS
    How much is the warranty ? My 06 had almost 60,000 when I bought it. Now at 85,000 I've spent over the last 2 1/2 years nearly $2000 on repairs, headlights, tie rod ends, front brakes, wheel bearings, alignment, + tires & oil changes. I would recommend the extended warranty if it's priced right. I'm lucky I guess, I have non dealer shops who do good work at reasonable prices.
    Norm

cadillacpaul1979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I bought a 06 last year with 45k miles and got a warranty for about $3,000 the car was only $13,000 , make sure if you buy it used you get a warranty and make sure you get it from a Cadillac dealer , because a lot of warranties do not cover northstar engines make sure if you buy it it has the option for , know what your deductible is when u buy it , and as long as the car is less than 10 years old and less than100k miles you can get a warranty the older the car the more it will cost

----------

I also think $13,000 for a 07 with that many miles is to much I try to get it for $11,500 shop around , like I said mine is a year older and when I bought it it had 45k miles and I paid $13,000 for it

Thank you guys. I also thought the mileage was a little high for the price. The car seems to be in "pristine" condition as quoted in the ad. I still wouldn't think it's a $13k car especially if you got one with 30k less miles for the price this dealer is asking. I'm giving them a call soon...
    Btw, the ad is below.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/4348171633.html

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Car is in great shape, I would make them an offer. These great DTS's are the last of the Northstars. They are all getting up in miles. A DTS under 50000 miles is very hard to find in the 2006-2008 years now. For a 2009-2011 you are going to pay ( in the great condition the one you're looking at is in) would be 17000-30000. What can you buy for $13000, not much. Go buy it.

I keep thinking that as well. My main concern is the oil leak problem and seat heater issues that seem to come with these cars....does that happen more than usual?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you're shopping for a car - any car - with no possible faults then you're using the wrong transportation.

Your butt size and weight determines seat heater life - and it's finite in ANY brand name; Oil leaks are not the problem they seem to be, lumped together in a "How do I fix this ?" public forum.

FWIW, My 2002 has no oil leaks or even weeps, and the driver's seat heater is shot. I don't lose any sleep over it.

I understand. I can also get over the seat heaters but it's a good luxury (no pun intended ) I just hope to have minor issues with having to finance 13k. I guess it's just a risk everyone has to take but you guys being owners, I have to lean more towards your opinions.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
    I understand. I can also get over the seat heaters but it's a good luxury (no pun intended ) I just hope to have minor issues with having to finance 13k. I guess it's just a risk everyone has to take but you guys being owners, I have to lean more towards your opinions.
    I have owned two 2006 DTS performance Models.
    The first one burned in my garage fire in Nov 2006... it had almost 40,000 on it and had NEVER been in the shop for anything except for oil changes.
    The 2006 I have now, I bought new, in late Dec, as a leftover '06, after the 2007 models came out.
    It now has almost 137,000 miles on it.
    It had a few electronic issues the first year I had it, but they were all quickly fixed under warranty.
    It had a SEEP at the half case seal just before it had 100,000 miles on it and the rear valve cover had a seep.
    Neither seep had ever left even one drop of oil on my garage floor... but since it was still under the GMPP warranty, I had both leaks fixed.

My heated seats quit working a couple of weeks ago.
    I will fix them myself in a week or two, after it warms up.

I will be looking for ANOTHER DTS, a 2011 Platinum, before too much longer... if that tells you anything.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjim
    I have owned two 2006 DTS performance Models. The first one burned in my garage fire in Nov 2006... it had almost 40,000 on it and had NEVER been in the shop for anything except for oil changes. The 2006 I have now, I bought new, in late Dec, as a leftover '06, after the 2007 models came out. It now has almost 137,000 miles on it. It had a few electronic issues the first year I had it, but they were all quickly fixed under warranty. It had a SEEP at the half case seal just before it had 100,000 miles on it and the rear valve cover had a seep. Neither seep had ever left even one drop of oil on my garage floor... but since it was still under the GMPP warranty, I had both leaks fixed. My heated seats quit working a couple of weeks ago. I will fix them myself in a week or two, after it warms up. I will be looking for ANOTHER DTS, a 2011 Platinum, before too much longer... if that tells you anything.
    they are getting hard to find with decent miles, ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Primitive
    Hey all, I'm looking to join the Caddy family and am currently looking at an '07 DTS LII . I've done extensive research on the car and fell in love with it. This will be my first purchase from a dealer, they are asking $13k the car looks flawless with 72k miles I don't really know how to negotiate so what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=81053558 Found this... Road trip?

The fact that you are willing to dive into another DTS definitely keeps my hopes high. That car gurus link....most of those are so much of a better deal! Unfortunately I can't travel too far I'm recovering from a recent broken ankle. I'm military, I can not work onboard my ship with my cast therefore I have to get my own ride so that I can go to my temporary duty station. Last question and I apologize for the ignorance some of you might find it, but would you consider the DTS's as reliable/more reliable than Imports? (Generally speaking). I know EVERY car has it's fate no matter the brand, the main thing I'm looking for is reliability. Nothing about imports interests me and I do not want to spend money on something that wouldn't satisfy me.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
    The fact that you are willing to dive into another DTS definitely keeps my hopes high. That car gurus link....most of those are so much of a better deal! Unfortunately I can't travel too far I'm recovering from a recent broken ankle. I'm military, I can not work onboard my ship with my cast therefore I have to get my own ride so that I can go to my temporary duty station. Last question and I apologize for the ignorance some of you might find it, but would you consider the DTS's as reliable/more reliable than Imports? (Generally speaking). I know EVERY car has it's fate no matter the brand, the main thing I'm looking for is reliability. Nothing about imports interests me and I do not want to spend money on something that wouldn't satisfy me.
    As I mentioned, I have owned two of them and put a combined, almost 180,000 miles, on them and will soon start my search for the third one.
    That being said.. I have had very little mechanical problems with them.
    The only thing I have had to replace was the drivers side hub and bearing. A woman came hauling a$$ out of a parking lot and I had to run over a really big curb at about 40mph. A few weeks later I noticed a slight noise in the hub bearing.
    It cost less than 100 bucks and was such a piece of cake to replace, a couple of weeks later, I replaced the passengers side too, just because it had a little over 100,000 miles on it, not because it had anything wrong with it...
    I have never had any mechanical issues with the engine or transmission or really anything else and I do drive a little more BRISKLY than the average Cadillac driver.
    Personally, I MUCH prefer the Performance versions... they have a much more controlled, stuck to the road feel, than the other versions.
    I have driven several of the other ones when my car was in for service and I could hardly wait to get MY car back.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.