Questions on DTS Reliability/problems etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Questions on DTS Reliability/problems etc. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, i am new to this forum but i am interested in a caddy. I am currently looking at several ...
    SSTUD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 red STS

Questions on DTS Reliability/problems etc.

Hello, i am new to this forum but i am interested in a caddy. I am currently looking at several different models and trying to narrow down my selection. Right now i am looking at a CTS, DTS, Escalade. I like how the DTS is auto on the floor and more sporty then the base deville. I like how the DTS is sporty and offers alot of plush comfort plus it has 300hp which isnt bad for a large sedan. The only draw back is that its FWD I am used to driving nothing but RWD and prefer that for not only a performance standpoint but also the fun factor. Sorry for all the questions but i was just hoping that you all could offer me some insite. How is the reliability? I would be looking at a 2000-2003 model DTS. Any problems or complaints about this vehicle? Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Questions on DTS Reliability/problems etc.

lol anyone?

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by SSTUD
    Hello, i am new to this forum but i am interested in a caddy. I am currently looking at several different models and trying to narrow down my selection. Right now i am looking at a CTS, DTS, Escalade. I like how the DTS is auto on the floor and more sporty then the base deville. I like how the DTS is sporty and offers alot of plush comfort plus it has 300hp which isnt bad for a large sedan. The only draw back is that its FWD I am used to driving nothing but RWD and prefer that for not only a performance standpoint but also the fun factor. Sorry for all the questions but i was just hoping that you all could offer me some insite. How is the reliability? I would be looking at a 2000-2003 model DTS. Any problems or complaints about this vehicle? Thanks all
    By 2002 and 2003, Cadillac got the DTS "right." The 2000 models might be more likely to have some glitches as that was a first year design.

My Dad bought a brand new 2003 DTS in White Diamond that year and I drove it a few times. I can tell you that the fact you are driving a FWD vehicle is really not noticeable at all IMO. I didn't notice any torque steer, etc. It handled beautifully and I've had several RWD cars in the past to compare with. This car handles, especially when compared to the likes of the Grand Marquis I had. It's firm, but not harsh at all. The DHS and Base models are smoother supposedly in the suspension setup. It certainly has a small glovebox, but fortunately with the DTS there is that center console for extra storage. Getting to the battery under the rear seat was so simple it took two of us just seconds to slide the seat and move it.

The Northstar doesn't have too much from a stop, or at low speeds but once those 32 valves get revving, look out! It just keeps pulling like it never will run out of breath! My 4.9 pulls VERY strong but tends to run out of breath around 70 mph or so which is more than good enough for me. It still pulls good after that speed also, but not like a Northstar. The DTS got 27 MPG on the highway according to the computer when I checked it.

Have you test driven a DTS yet?? What about the CTS and Escalade. Again, you will not even notice it's FWD, as I didn't, but you never know, everyone has a preference. But the DTS will outrun a lot of RWD cars and does not lack performance. Test one and post back...I'll be curious as to what you think of it...If you have kids or a large family, I say get the DTS/Escalade. If it's just you and a GF try the CTS. How will you be driving it? More on the highway, more in town, snow/ice conditions??

Personally I view the DTS as a perfect highway car (and the massaging seats are nice too for those long hauls!), the CTS a good runabout for town, and the Escalade a good all-around vehicle but if you have concerns about gas mileage, you need not apply for an Escalade.

The only real thing I didn't like about the DTS is the tire pressure monitor only showing one tire at a time. The lowly Chrysler models of the last few years (even the trucks) showed all 4 tires at a glance and you could quickly compare. It's certainly NOT a big thing, and it's only a personal thing I have, and it doesn't even bother my Dad. It's pretty easy setting up all the memory options on how you want them, ie. alarm to chirp upon locking the door with remote, seats to move into set preference as you push the unlock button on the remote, etc. etc. It's all done easily on the dash board with the use of 3 simple buttons I believe. I think there were around 20 settings to perform, and then it's set. The radio/stereo is terrific and I cannot imagine why people would want an aftermarket setup in the DTS. Dad didn't bother ordering the 6 disc changer, he has what I would prefer, the cassette/single CD AM/FM setup.

Probably the most important thing to watch that was maintained is the coolant. It's important that the previous owner changed it along with the supplenental pellets. The tablets are required to prevent the aluminium heads from slightly shifting with temp fluctuations and allowing a small amount of coolant into the engine oil.

We have not had any reliability issues with it as it only has around 650 miles on it...

I hope this gives you a little bit of insight into these cars to help you make some sort of decision, but I still say testdrive one and post back here for a debriefing...

If you had any specific questions I may be able to answer some of them....

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    By 2002 and 2003, Cadillac got the DTS "right." The 2000 models might be more likely to have some glitches as that was a first year design.

My Dad bought a brand new 2003 DTS in White Diamond that year and I drove it a few times. I can tell you that the fact you are driving a FWD vehicle is really not noticeable at all IMO. I didn't notice any torque steer, etc. It handled beautifully and I've had several RWD cars in the past to compare with. This car handles, especially when compared to the likes of the Grand Marquis I had. It's firm, but not harsh at all. The DHS and Base models are smoother supposedly in the suspension setup. It certainly has a small glovebox, but fortunately with the DTS there is that center console for extra storage. Getting to the battery under the rear seat was so simple it took two of us just seconds to slide the seat and move it.

The Northstar doesn't have too much from a stop, or at low speeds but once those 32 valves get revving, look out! It just keeps pulling like it never will run out of breath! My 4.9 pulls VERY strong but tends to run out of breath around 70 mph or so which is more than good enough for me. It still pulls good after that speed also, but not like a Northstar. The DTS got 27 MPG on the highway according to the computer when I checked it.

Have you test driven a DTS yet?? What about the CTS and Escalade. Again, you will not even notice it's FWD, as I didn't, but you never know, everyone has a preference. But the DTS will outrun a lot of RWD cars and does not lack performance. Test one and post back...I'll be curious as to what you think of it...If you have kids or a large family, I say get the DTS/Escalade. If it's just you and a GF try the CTS. How will you be driving it? More on the highway, more in town, snow/ice conditions??

Personally I view the DTS as a perfect highway car (and the massaging seats are nice too for those long hauls!), the CTS a good runabout for town, and the Escalade a good all-around vehicle but if you have concerns about gas mileage, you need not apply for an Escalade.

The only real thing I didn't like about the DTS is the tire pressure monitor only showing one tire at a time. The lowly Chrysler models of the last few years (even the trucks) showed all 4 tires at a glance and you could quickly compare. It's certainly NOT a big thing, and it's only a personal thing I have, and it doesn't even bother my Dad. It's pretty easy setting up all the memory options on how you want them, ie. alarm to chirp upon locking the door with remote, seats to move into set preference as you push the unlock button on the remote, etc. etc. It's all done easily on the dash board with the use of 3 simple buttons I believe. I think there were around 20 settings to perform, and then it's set. The radio/stereo is terrific and I cannot imagine why people would want an aftermarket setup in the DTS. Dad didn't bother ordering the 6 disc changer, he has what I would prefer, the cassette/single CD AM/FM setup.

Probably the most important thing to watch that was maintained is the coolant. It's important that the previous owner changed it along with the supplenental pellets. The tablets are required to prevent the aluminium heads from slightly shifting with temp fluctuations and allowing a small amount of coolant into the engine oil.

We have not had any reliability issues with it as it only has around 650 miles on it...

I hope this gives you a little bit of insight into these cars to help you make some sort of decision, but I still say testdrive one and post back here for a debriefing...

If you had any specific questions I may be able to answer some of them....

Thank you for the reply. I am a 20 y/o and dont have a family of my own. I was looking at the CTS for something sporty with a manual and rwd. However, the only model i can afford at this time is the 03 year which lacks alot of hp and an extra gear in the manual tranny until 05/06. The escalade i am looking at is currently a 99-01 range since i really only have 19k to play with. I figured a DTS would be a good combo of luxury performance. I have really only owned nothing but rwd performance cars so for me going to FWD is going to be a big switch. The escalade would be a contender due to the fact that new england winters suck and last forever.

I have been looking around at local dealers to test drive one but they dont have any available. I really want one with night vision . I was hoping that the car would have some "balls" so to speak and not really be a tq monster but be able to get up and go and do a little wheelie peelie.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by SSTUD
    Thank you for the reply. I am a 20 y/o and dont have a family of my own. I was looking at the CTS for something sporty with a manual and rwd. However, the only model i can afford at this time is the 03 year which lacks alot of hp and an extra gear in the manual tranny until 05/06. The escalade i am looking at is currently a 99-01 range since i really only have 19k to play with. I figured a DTS would be a good combo of luxury performance. I have really only owned nothing but rwd performance cars so for me going to FWD is going to be a big switch. The escalade would be a contender due to the fact that new england winters suck and last forever.

I have been looking around at local dealers to test drive one but they dont have any available. I really want one with night vision . I was hoping that the car would have some "balls" so to speak and not really be a tq monster but be able to get up and go and do a little wheelie peelie.
    Night vision is cool, but I've heard some stories about some older owners at night getting confused by the NV and effecting the focussing of their eyes and then a possible accident. One salesman was telling me about that. Some people also might try to totally only look through the NV window and not look at everything else on the road, and that possibly could be dangerous also.....

Someone on the forum had their NV lens break by a stone hitting it from a passing vehicle on the HW and the lens cost something like $4,000!! (if I recall) Options are nice, but more options can lead to more expense outside of any warrenty coverage.

My Dad special ordered the DTS but he did not bother with NV, disc changer, Nav, chrome rims but I do wish he got the power sunroof! It's really a beautiful car, and remember for winter it has traction control you can turn on or off.

This DTS section isn't very active, is it??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Night vision is cool, but I've heard some stories about some older owners at night getting confused by the NV and effecting the focussing of their eyes and then a possible accident. One salesman was telling me about that. Some people also might try to totally only look through the NV window and not look at everything else on the road, and that possibly could be dangerous also.....

Someone on the forum had their NV lens break by a stone hitting it from a passing vehicle on the HW and the lens cost something like $4,000!! (if I recall) Options are nice, but more options can lead to more expense outside of any warrenty coverage.

My Dad special ordered the DTS but he did not bother with NV, disc changer, Nav, chrome rims but I do wish he got the power sunroof! It's really a beautiful car, and remember for winter it has traction control you can turn on or off.

This DTS section isn't very active, is it??!!
    Thanks for the reply. I wasnt really sure how the HUD even worked with the night vision. I know there is a camera and all but not sure how it displayed it. How effective is the traction control? I really do appreciate your replys. How reliable is the northstar motor? I mean that woman spinning bearings has me a little worried since it had less then 100k on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.