Heated Seats... Well it happened :-(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Heated Seats... Well it happened :-( in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This morning we were headed out and I had the car running for a bit before with the heated seats ...
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Unhappy Heated Seats... Well it happened :-(

This morning we were headed out and I had the car running for a bit before with the heated seats on and when we got in the Fiance noticed the seats were cold. 20 Mins later with the seats still "on" and nothing, nada, zip in the front seats :-( I've been reading through some of the posts about the heated seat repairs and I think I can do it myself. How long did it take those of you who have done it? Why do the dealers want to charge so much for the repair? Do they want to replace the module? Trying to decide when/if to attempt the repair :-/
    BlueAngel#07 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Re: Heated Seats... Well it happened :-(

Mine too, I guess it's Join the club

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I think mine have quit heating also...
    The lights come on but nobody's home...
    BlueAngel#07 likes this.

Maybe its a sign lol. Not sure what it could be, but 3 of us in one shot? grrrr this sucks

----------

Good news! I called the local Buick/GMC Dealer that I like and told him what the car was doing. He said he knew exactly what the repair entailed and quoted me 1 hour labor plus parts at $9 if the connector is bad/melted. Considering its been cold and I don't really wanna screw something up I made an appt for Wednesday and they are gonna verify thats what it is and they have the parts on hand to do the repair if thats what it is. I figure for $99+tax its worth it for me not to have to crawl around in the car and potentially mess something up. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Maybe its a sign lol. Not sure what it could be, but 3 of us in one shot? grrrr this sucks

----------

Good news! I called the local Buick/GMC Dealer that I like and told him what the car was doing. He said he knew exactly what the repair entailed and quoted me 1 hour labor plus parts at $9 if the connector is bad/melted. Considering its been cold and I don't really wanna screw something up I made an appt for Wednesday and they are gonna verify thats what it is and they have the parts on hand to do the repair if thats what it is. I figure for $99+tax its worth it for me not to have to crawl around in the car and potentially mess something up. What do you guys think?
    I think that's not a bad idea...
    I might just do the same thing... at almost 70 years old, my old bones don't bend around as well as they used to...
    Crawling around on the floor and twisting and bending around doing that would probably have me sore for several days...
    It ain't worth 100 bucks to hurt for several days...
    jsorrell likes this.

I hear ya Superjim, I may not be almost 70 but in this cold crawling around in an unheated garage or outside just doesn't appeal to me lol. I figure its worth the money if thats all its gonna cost me. I'll know for sure on Wednesday but he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and it appeared they had done quite a few of them. Prob when they were Cadillac and still under the Buicks they service.

I hear ya Superjim, I may not be almost 70 but in this cold crawling around in an unheated garage or outside just doesn't appeal to me lol. I figure its worth the money if thats all its gonna cost me. I'll know for sure on Wednesday but he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and it appeared they had done quite a few of them. Prob when they were Cadillac and still under the Buicks they service.
    Let me know how it goes... I am interested in how it turns out.
    Jim

Will do Jim. I hope its as easy/cheap as he was saying lol. I'd hate to have it be something more expensive lol
    Superjim likes this.

revolcallidac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS NHP

Already replaced my connector and it melted again in 2 weeks!! Good luck....I think it's time for some good old poor boy engineering. Please everyone go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. GM is well aware of this problem, not just in Cadillacs either.

Quote Originally Posted by revolcallidac
    Already replaced my connector and it melted again in 2 weeks!! Good luck....I think it's time for some good old poor boy engineering. Please everyone go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. GM is well aware of this problem, not just in Cadillacs either.
    That sucks :-( I'm having mine repaired at a gm dealer so it should come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty on the repair. I'm hoping I won't need that but if it fails again soon at least it won't cost me anything out of pocket.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

That sucks :-( I'm having mine repaired at a gm dealer so it should come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty on the repair. I'm hoping I won't need that but if it fails again soon at least it won't cost me anything out of pocket.
    Should have it fixed for good around July when it's 92 degrees out. lol

Well I just got back from the dealer and it was worse that I expected. Turns out the wiring harness melted into the module making a real mess and the only way to fix it is to replace both the harness and the module. The quote was $1450 for the repair! :-( I do have a Ford Extended Service Plan and they contacted the Ford dealer across the road and because the wiring harness caused the issue it should be completely covered minus my $100 ded. Because its over $500 the GM dealer had to fax over a repair order to the Ford dealership who has to submit it to Ford ESP for the claim. The nice lady at the Ford dealership explained how it all worked when I called her and she said it should be covered and now it will come down to Ford ESP trying to negotiate a better deal with the GM Dealership and have it done that way. Fingers crossed! Seeing as how I paid $1540 for the warranty, if this is covered it was money well spend considering I still have another 33 months of coverage...

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Wow 1450$ same thing happened with mine just chipped all the plastic out and used a staple in the female end works fine. I can't believe they can charge that much. Hopefully you will only have to pay 100$

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

The melting harness is a common problem. I've had it happen to both of my DTS's.

Just wanted to give an update. So I get a call yesterday from the Ford dealer across the road and they said because it had to do with the heated/AC seats it wouldn't be covered because Ford ESP Extracare doesn't cover heated seats. The guy seemed to have a I don't care attitude so I didn't bother to argue with him. Instead I called Ford. After numerous phone calls to Ford ESP, the GM dealer, and my doctor (to inquire about a prescription for a Ford induced migraine...) its going to be covered and the GM dealer got the prior approval number. He said they were a real PITA to deal with but the warranty clearly states "All Wiring Harnesses" and its apparent the issue began in the harness so it should have been covered and in the end Ford ESP agreed and are footing the bill minus my $100 deductible. The GM dealer ordered the parts yesterday and will call when they come in :-) At least I'll be able to sleep well this weekend. I'll keep this thread updated. :-)
    Superjim and BlueAngel#07 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.