2008 DTS overheating. Requesting your thoughts.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 DTS overheating. Requesting your thoughts. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2008 Cadillac dts is overheating after about 15 minutes of it running. When I turn on the heat at ...
    faith1957 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

2008 DTS overheating. Requesting your thoughts.

My 2008 Cadillac dts is overheating after about 15 minutes of it running. When I turn on the heat at full blast it goes almost back to the halfway mark. I took it to my shop and they changed the thermostat. It still continues to overheat. My shop told me 1 hose to the radiator is hot and the other is cold so now they're telling me it's the water pump. Which is 1100 dollars to fix. Don't know what to do

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2008 DTS overheating. Requesting your thoughts.

It was probably not the thermostat - they're very reliable. $12 at any NAPA. Water pump drive belt ???? On the driver's end of the engine, left bank intake cam extension. Also, do some Google searching for "cadillac forums northstar coolant purge line".

If it IS the water pump, they're a long, involved mess to get to in the "DTS" vehicle series - after 2005 the cooling system underwent significant hardware changes in the Northstar engines. The water pump itself is probably only about $55 - but the required labor time is simply staggering.

Online parts pricing in www.rockauto.com

Parts diagrams and pricing in www.gmpartsgiant.com - your brand, model, year, system, subsystem - opens a text page. The INFO tab opens a parts diagram blowup, number keyed to the text page.

Know before you go ....................

Check your e-mail and spam box - your subscription to CF was not active - I activated it, but see if there's a "reply" mail in your e-mail server.

crazcaddyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    If the water pump and pulley and belt are good.... change your water tank pressure cap!

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

GM calls for 6 hrs to do a pump but a good mech. can do it in 4. Cost me about $450 a year ago here in Leesburg including gaskets, belt & pullies.
    Norm.

I say try the pressure cap first. I changed the water pump in 06 dts it took me a good whole day... With that said after I had done that it was still over heating and I changed the pressure cap and it cured my issue. ...

DTS Mafia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

If the shop replaced the thermostat correctly, your'e looking at a bad water pump.

Start with the cheapest and easiest try the cap! Trust me.

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by faith1957 View Post
    My 2008 Cadillac dts is overheating after about 15 minutes of it running. When I turn on the heat at full blast it goes almost back to the halfway mark. I took it to my shop and they changed the thermostat. It still continues to overheat. My shop told me 1 hose to the radiator is hot and the other is cold so now they're telling me it's the water pump. Which is 1100 dollars to fix. Don't know what to do
    First of all, welcome to Cadillac Forums.

Did you check to make sure that the coolant level is at the full mark when the engine is cold? If not, check to make sure that it is full before the car is started for the day, since the engine has to be cold. If you need to add coolant, make sure that it is a 50/50 (50%) Dexcool to water ratio.

Also, you might want to check your cap. If you have a garden hose with a pressure nozzle at the end, use that to shoot the spring that is located right under the top of the cap. There may be some crud that is lodged in the spring that prevents it from functioning properly. If that doesn't help, then like others have mentioned already, your cap may need to be changed.

As for water pumps, it is a very basic mechanical device that simply has an impeller that is turned by a pulley. Therefore, there is nothing that normally goes wrong with them, other than the seals leaking. If the pump is leaking, then yes it will need to be changed and would cause the coolant level to drop, requiring you to add coolant. If it's not leaking, then that is most likely not the problem.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

If the water pump IS NOT LEAKING... it is very doubtful that it needs replacing.
    Have the coolant checked with a hydrometer to make sure it is a 50/50 mixture or very close to 50/50.

Replace the pressure cap... the cooling system will not function properly if the cap is not holding the correct pressure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What Jim said^ told ya.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.