low oil pressure turn engine off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, low oil pressure turn engine off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; yesterday message came on seconds after turning engine on. turned it off and back on and no problems. drove the ...
    DJ1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

low oil pressure turn engine off

yesterday message came on seconds after turning engine on. turned it off and back on and no problems. drove the 12 miles to my destination. on way back, message appeared. checked oil, seemed low to bottom of dipstick, so added 2 quarts. minute later message reappeared. returned home to the sound of the bells from DIC. today no message on way to and from work but came on returning from soccer practice for a couple of minutes. since I am not mechanically inclined, will take it in tomorrow. can you give me some things to tell mechanic so I am not taken to the cleaners?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

Re: low oil pressure turn engine off

keep us informed of what happens

taking it in to my mechanic this morning. caddy dealership too expensive. i'll let you know.

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    My bet is failing oil pressure sending unit. Fairly common issue.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yup ^^^ - Common failure.

DTS Mafia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

+1 on sending unit.

Could also be a bad oil filter or the balancer/oil pump bolts arent torqued to spec

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1956 View Post
    yesterday message came on seconds after turning engine on. turned it off and back on and no problems. drove the 12 miles to my destination. on way back, message appeared. checked oil, seemed low to bottom of dipstick, so added 2 quarts. minute later message reappeared. returned home to the sound of the bells from DIC. today no message on way to and from work but came on returning from soccer practice for a couple of minutes. since I am not mechanically inclined, will take it in tomorrow. can you give me some things to tell mechanic so I am not taken to the cleaners?
    Hey DJ1956;

Seems like that you just acquired your 06 Caddy as you didn't provide us the history of this vehicle; i.e., how long ago you got it, how many miles on the odometer, where did you get it, history of this vehicle, etc. etc. I assume it's not burning oil. My question is how come you decided to check the oil level only after you noticed a problem with your engine oil pressure? Then after checking you said that the oil level seemed low and you poured 2 quarts. My friend that's strange, I mean didn't you check the oil level soon after you purchased it? How do you know that you didn't put too much oil? I assumed that check the dipstick carefully.

If the light is staying on then the only thing comes to mind is the problem in the oil pressure sending unit or in the circuit. I'm glad that you are taking it to your mechanic first.

I've had the car for 2 1/2 years. I change the oil every 5000 miles at the same mechanic. I have 111,000 miles on the car, purchased it with 68,000. it has a new water pump (broke in June) and new motor mounts as well as front tie rods. as for putting too much oil, I am not sure if I did or not. the level reads just above the zigzag lines on the stick.
    mechanic said they think it's the sensor; are replacing it. as with everything on that engine, not easy to get to. $30 part will cost $ 200 with labor and tax...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The Northstar engine takes 7.5 quarts of oil with filter. That brings the level on the dipstick to about here ..........

<==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ==============oo====================O

........ any higher leads to excessive oil consumption. Read the owner's manual and the Cadillac Technical Archive (way up in the black bar ^^^).

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The Northstar engine takes 7.5 quarts of oil with filter. That brings the level on the dipstick to about here ..........

<==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ==============oo====================O

........ any higher leads to excessive oil consumption. Read the owner's manual and the Cadillac Technical Archive (way up in the black bar ^^^).
    I have to disagree. They have been saying this 7.5 for years, but it actually takes 8 quarts. However, GM puts in 7.5, but charge you for 8 because they can't bill .5 quarts in the system. Every Cadillac customer I know has the same issue. After the oil change, its at the level where Sub has above. However, it should be <==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ================================oo==O near the top.

These DTS does not have the oil consumption issue from the O-Rings. Its mostly from that special sealant from the crankcase that wears over time. The bottom line is, all northstar engines use oil. It doesn't matter where you fill it too in that range area. It will go down before your next oil change. Which you should do every three thousand with a northstar engine.
    I've did oil consumption tests every 500 miles and the starting level doesn't matter. It will consume oil at the same rate or get worst over time due to any oil issue getting worst.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    I have to disagree. They have been saying this 7.5 for years, but it actually takes 8 quarts. However, GM puts in 7.5, but charge you for 8 because they can't bill .5 quarts in the system. Every Cadillac customer I know has the same issue. After the oil change, its at the level where Sub has above. However, it should be <==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ================================oo==O near the top.

These DTS does not have the oil consumption issue from the O-Rings. Its mostly from that special sealant from the crankcase that wears over time. The bottom line is, all northstar engines use oil. It doesn't matter where you fill it too in that range area. It will go down before your next oil change. Which you should do every three thousand with a northstar engine.
    I've did oil consumption tests every 500 miles and the starting level doesn't matter. It will consume oil at the same rate or get worst over time due to any oil issue getting worst.
    TJ...
    I have to disagree a little bit about ALL Northstars using oil.
    I have over 137,000 miles on mine and I change it about every 7500 miles or when the oil life indicator gets to about 30/35 percent.
    In that 7500 miles, it will use "MAYBE" a cup or two of oil.
    It has NEVER been a quart low on oil except for one time when I ran it a hair over 10,000 miles before changing it.
    That was the only time it has ever needed a quart of oil and instead of adding a quart, I had it changed...
    It was way over due even though the oil life indicator said 15 percent left.

If I changed it every 3000 miles, the oil level wouldn't move enough on the dipstick to even be able to tell it.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    No problem :-) I should had explained my meaning of "use".
    My 2006 DTS barely uses anything compared to my 1999 SLS. After 3000 miles, its still pretty close to the top, and about around the area you say it should be at. A little higher though :-)

We both live in different terrains and climates too. With the freezing temperatures this winter, I like to keep fresh oil in my baby.

Why do you go so long between oil changes? I don't believe its safe on the engine. What kind of oil you use? I just remember seeing cars at the dealership from other states that broke down on the highway because of engine trouble. I believe bearing issues. The first thing the tech did was change the oil and the engine noise went almost away but the damage was already done. It wasn't a Cadillac, but with our complex engines...I wouldn't take a chance.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    No problem :-) I should had explained my meaning of "use".
    My 2006 DTS barely uses anything compared to my 1999 SLS. After 3000 miles, its still pretty close to the top, and about around the area you say it should be at. A little higher though :-)

We both live in different terrains and climates too. With the freezing temperatures this winter, I like to keep fresh oil in my baby.

Why do you go so long between oil changes? I don't believe its safe on the engine. What kind of oil you use? I just remember seeing cars at the dealership from other states that broke down on the highway because of engine trouble. I believe bearing issues. The first thing the tech did was change the oil and the engine noise went almost away but the damage was already done. It wasn't a Cadillac, but with our complex engines...I wouldn't take a chance.
    My first oil change was on the 3rd day I owned the car, at 400 miles.. I took a quick trip out west of town then changed it.
    That was to get any manufacturing shavings or debris out of the engine... just in case there was any.
    Next two oil changes were at 3000 miles each.

Then I started learning about the oil life monitor from a GM power train engineer who was on another site that I am on and about how it works.

Over time I gradually increased my oil changes to 4000 miles, then 5000 then 7500 or 30/35 percent, whichever comes first.
    I will still change it at 30 or 35 percent even if the mileage is only 3000 or even less.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1956 View Post
    I've had the car for .............mounts as well as front tie rods. as for putting too much oil, I am not sure if I did or not. the level reads just above the zigzag lines on the stick.
    mechanic said they think it's the sensor; are replacing it. as with everything on that engine, not easy to get to. $30 part will cost $ 200 with labor and tax...
    I hope that you did not pour too much oil as it could be detrimental to the engine life. The oil level must be in the cross hatched area. I thought the oil pressure switch is located around the oil filter housing. Just curious, is it that time consuming that it amounts to $200?

Anyway, I hope that this corrects the low oil pressure situation.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

My 06 with 84,000 does not leak or use oil. [knock on wood] Like Super Jim I change at 20-30 % left. I use Mobile 1 synthetic. I have gone 8000 & it was down 1/2 qt. I don't call using. The oil was only slightly brown, does that mean it's not cleaning? My nephew had a 97 Northstar that used a qt. in 600 mi. He called the original owner & he said you bought that oil burner? It used that from day 1 & GM wouldn't do anything about it, said it was normal.
    Norm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.