How do you guys deal with the repair costs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How do you guys deal with the repair costs? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I absolutely love my car and am completely terrified of when it needs a repair and I know they tend ...
    TLC
    TLC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

How do you guys deal with the repair costs?

I absolutely love my car and am completely terrified of when it needs a repair and I know they tend to be rather expensive. So to those of you without an extra $2500 laying around how do you deal with the repair costs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Re: How do you guys deal with the repair costs?

Extended Warranty.. still not cheap but less evil.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Or start your own insurance policy.
    In the old days they used a jar to hold a rainy day fund.
    Put what you can back a month.
    Your goal should be around 5k saved.
    I know money under a mattress is a loosing game these days, but it still has merit.

bigsahad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Have a 2006 dts performance brought it with 48,000 miles on it ...I purchased a gmpp warranty that is accept it at all the Cadillac dealers with a 100.00 deductible. Its a life saver paid 1700.00 but it has already paid for it self ...4 years 50,000 miles ...had the car 14 months now I have 60,000 miles on it ....

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Me being a kid i hope to god stuff does not brake. Like when my power steering line went i almost passed out thinking about repair costs. But in the end its worth all the worrying and $$$$. I tell all kids that want one of these cars to stay far far away... These cars are not meant for kids working part time jobs at the deli lol "Me" but i deal with it. I'm starting to put away money for the 100K mile tune up that i will be letting my local dealer do, total will be $1200.00.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    Me being a kid i hope to god stuff does not brake. Like when my power steering line went i almost shit my pants thinking about repair costs. But in the end its worth all the worrying and $$$$. I tell all kids that want one of these cars to stay far far away... These cars are not meant for kids working part time jobs at the deli lol "Me" but i deal with it. I'm starting to put away money for the 100K mile tune up that i will be letting my local dealer do, total will be $1200.00.
    My car is almost at 100k and it should not cost you $1,200 for a tune up! You should only need to replace the sparks plugs at 100k. However, some people in this forum say it's not really necessary to replace them if they are still good. However, the transmission fluid and coolant could be done around this time. If you want to save money, just do a little preventive maintenance at a time. Have the fluids drained and belts replaced at separate times. Don't go to the dealer for Brakes and Rotors or any easy repair. Get your car scanned from time to time at the auto stores for free to see if any codes comes. Get OnStar for the vehicle diagnostics (not sure if it really helps). However the best thing you can do is try to become one with your car and feel for anything that might be going wrong.
    Gomaz likes this.

DTS Mafia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

+1 on extended warranty

I like to do as much of my own work as possible. Some fixes are easier than you think.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey DTS Mafia, welcome to the DTS Forum!

So, what year is your DTS with how many miles?

You say that you like to do much of your own work; so what type of repair work has been done on your Caddy?

Again, WELCOME!

haynz79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

One way to deal with repairs is to find aftermarket parts. My first Caddy was an 93 STS absolutely loved it. When the struts went I replaced them with Cadillac parts which cost about $3,000 for the four of them. Next was the transmission which cost about $3,500. I threw the towel in at 180,000 miles and sold it for $500. My second Caddy was a 95 Deville, it never cost me more than regular maintenance stuff. The one thing my mechanic did due was put in an after market muffler. He thought he was saving me money but the muffler sound horrible, it really wasn't worth it. I traded it in to get my current car an 06 DTS. I've been driving it for 6 years with no major work needed until recently. The front struts went at 95,000 miles and the mechanic quoted $1,600 for the fronts plus labor. I ended up having him put in OEM shocks I got from Detroit Axel the parts were $295 and they were the exact same strut except the electronic ride control wouldn't hook up. Having passive struts hasn't made a huge difference in the ride. The Service suspension light comes on and that's annoying but its tolerable. The cars still runs great so I'm in no hurry to move on from it.
    After market parts don't always work out so do your homework, find out what works and what doesn't and know what's important to you.
    Best of Luck,
    haynz79

DTS Mafia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Quote Originally Posted by jazoo View Post
    Hey DTS Mafia, welcome to the DTS Forum!

So, what year is your DTS with how many miles?

You say that you like to do much of your own work; so what type of repair work has been done on your Caddy?

Again, WELCOME!
    Thanks for the welcome!

I just picked up a black '07 lux1 DTS a few weeks ago with 61k on it.

I've had the pleasure of doing all the work on my brother's Cadillacs over the years. He's had a '95 Eldorado, '02 ETC Collector Edition Eldorado and an '09 STS. There are a TON of similarities between the DTS and Eldorado. I've repaired everything including motor mounts, brakes and suspension and other random things like exterior lighting and exhaust.

I look forward to learning from everybody and adding my own $.02

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Stay away from the Caddy dealer if posible. Find a good independent garage. I have good one here in Leesburg that recently changed a front hub for $159, for an extra $79 he did the front brakes as well.
    Norm.

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    My two previous cars were BMW seven series. The maintenance costs of the DTS are very reasonable compared to those two cars.

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

Repairs can add up real fast especially if you are paying full price for parts and labor at a dealer. I have a source that will sell me OEM parts at 10% over cost. Not sure if thats where Rippy is at but they are a dealer who sponsor the forum. In addition, I have seen members on this forum have good luck with used parts that were taken off of low mileage wreck. Find a good independent garage and that will save you on the labor costs on repairs that you can't do yourself.

383 LT1 SS

Gomaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS II

Quote Originally Posted by 383 LT1 SS View Post
    Repairs can add up real fast especially if you are paying full price for parts and labor at a dealer. I have a source that will sell me OEM parts at 10% over cost. Not sure if thats where Rippy is at but they are a dealer who sponsor the forum. In addition, I have seen members on this forum have good luck with used parts that were taken off of low mileage wreck. Find a good independent garage and that will save you on the labor costs on repairs that you can't do yourself.

383 LT1 SS
    I use Napa for parts as they sell and make alot of GM parts and buying them direct is cheaper than the dealer. Once while getting my car fixed under warranty at teh dealer, i seen a Napa truck come into the parts department to drop off parts so...I called Napa up and asked if they sell parts to dealerships, they said yes and the markup is 50% !!!! I use Napa from now on.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

usafdaugherty, Your slightly different repair question has been moved to its own thread - 2008 DTS ..... .... ....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.