Navigation Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Navigation Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The Cadillac dealer just installed an OEM Bose Navigation system in the car, and everything works perfectly, except the NAV ...
    VOATMJ1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Platinum

Navigation Question

The Cadillac dealer just installed an OEM Bose Navigation system in the car, and everything works perfectly, except the NAV voice prompt does not work. When I plan a route I can see it on the screen and the turn-by-turn screen also works, just no voice prompts like "in 1/4 mile turn left on 3rd street". This is what I talking about. I checked the menu and the voice prompt IS turned on and the volume it at max, but I do not hear anything. Does this need to be programed into the unit?

Taking the vehicle back to the dealer Monday, just wanted some expert advice so I don't walk in deaf and dumb and they feed me a story. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Did you turn on or up the guidance volume?

Re: Navigation Question

Yes, voice prompt is on, and the volumn at max.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by VOATMJ1 View Post
    The Cadillac dealer just installed an OEM Bose Navigation system in the car, and everything works perfectly, except the NAV voice prompt does not work. When I plan a route I can see it on the screen and the turn-by-turn screen also works, just no voice prompts like "in 1/4 mile turn left on 3rd street". This is what I talking about. I checked the menu and the voice prompt IS turned on and the volume it at max, but I do not hear anything. Does this need to be programed into the unit?

Taking the vehicle back to the dealer Monday, just wanted some expert advice so I don't walk in deaf and dumb and they feed me a story. Thanks!
    Hello VOATMJ1,

Please be sure to keep us updated on Monday after your take your vehicle to the dealership. If you would like any assistance in working with the dealership, please feel free to private message Laura or myself. We will definitely be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Took the car in to the dealer today, after I did some week-end research, and they admitted that the installer never installed the VSS wire for the car. So I have a GM VSS wire harness NAV kit ordered for the car that they will linstall. Should be the end to my problems...I hope!

DTS Mafia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Quote Originally Posted by VOATMJ1 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, what did parts and labor run you? I'm considering installing navigation in my car.

Thanks!

Well, bad news. Even with the VSS wire harness, the NAV unit still has no voice prompt and will not re-route you if you go off course. The dealer stated they even called GM tech support, and according to them, if the car did not have a OEM NAV unit in the car from the factory, once cannot not be installed with all of the features working. the unit works, just no voice prompt and if you go off course is will not correct you, but you can plot a course and it will get you there if you keep your eyes glued to the screen. Oh well, I still have my Garmin. If nothing else the screen gives more information on the radio/XM and CD. I thought that you could add an OEM Nav to your car, guess not...according to my dealer.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Did they install the GPS antenna up under the dash on the passengers side?
    Without that, it will not work properly.
    The VSS wire (which stands for (Vehicle Speed Sensor) only tells the NAV unit that you are moving and to disable some of the features that shouldn't be used while the car is moving.
    One guy I know has the VSS wire routed thru a toggle switch so that he can input an address or do whatever he wants to do while the car is moving.

There have been others that installed NAV in a non NAV car and as far as I know, everything worked like it was supposed to.

Yeah, they installed the NAV antenna, they took the top of the dash apart to put it where it should be, The NAV unit works and tracks as you drive, it just does not have any voice prompts to tell you when to turn, and will not redirect you if you go off course. They think it might be the NAV disc, so GM is sending me a new NAV DVD, I don;t think so. But I will try.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.