Auto headlights issue 2009 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Auto headlights issue 2009 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My headlights come on automatically when it is still bright outside and the Instrument panel goes dim. Does anyone have ...
    onebadhemi88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Auto headlights issue 2009 DTS

My headlights come on automatically when it is still bright outside and the
    Instrument panel goes dim. Does anyone have any ideas? The dealer could not find any trouble codes and concluded all is well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Turn off your windshield wipers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

TopherS is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Re: Auto headlights issue 2009 DTS

The headlamps should only come on with the wipers when a certain threshold has been reached (IIRC, it's 8 wipes in 4 minutes ... or something like that) ... however, once the headlamps have come on with the wipers, they won't turn off until you turn off the wipers. The dimming of your dash lights are indicative that the ambient light sensor is determining that there are insufficient light levels outside. I've noticed that if it's bright enough outside, but I've got the wipers going, that my dash lights will not dim. I've seen my dash lights dim ... and I've seen them brighten (all with the wipers on/wiping) in response to exterior light levels. Nevertheless, it's still good to verify that you don't have the wipers on whilst diagnosing your concern.

Not too long ago, there was a thread about concerns of headlamps being on in all but high noon. During the winter months, the sun is lower in the sky and may not be bright enough to turn off your lights. Many of us have noticed that our DTS are much more sensitive to low ambient light levels than other cars out there. I've had some days where my lights have never turned off.

It's possible that you're finding that your DTS is quite sensitive to the sun's lower position in the winter, as many of ours are...

They should come on after 8 seconds once the wiper system is active (Even with rainsense equipped) you don't have to have any number of wipes. Just "on" is all it takes.

Not so with Rainsense...

From the owners manual...

Wiper Activated Headlamps
    This feature activates the headlamps and parking
    lamps after the windshield wipers are turned on and
    have completed eight wipe cycles within four minutes.

My wife's SRX does not have Rainsense and it will do as you indicated...turn on the lights within a certain number of seconds of turning on the wipers. In my DTS, I can drive around for hours with my Rainsense on (as I sometimes do here in Portland) and my lights will never turn on ... however, if the Rainsense has reached the threshold, it will turn on the lights.

Hmm learn something every day.
    The 3 rainsense equipped vehicles I've had didn't behave like that. (02 Deville DTS, 06 trailblazer, 08 STS) they all just forced lamps on after a few seconds just like the non rainsense equipped 04 SRX and 06 SRX do.

I know, right? I expected the same with my DTS (lights on with wipers after about 4-8 seconds) and when it didn't happen, I thought it was either turned off or malfunctioning ... (I didn't get a book-form manual with my car ... I found a PDF version from the internet). I had several cars (2001 Buick Park Avenue, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2006 Chrysler Town & Country) with a "lights on with wipers" option ... and the feature in all of them could be turned on/off ... even my Park Avenue with Rainsense. In looking at the DTS owner manual, it looks like you cannot turn off that option in the DTS.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by onebadhemi88 View Post
    My headlights come on automatically when it is still bright outside and the
    Instrument panel goes dim. Does anyone have any ideas? The dealer could not find any trouble codes and concluded all is well.
    Hello onebadhemi88,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners. I already see forum members have engaged with your post and have been helping answer your current concern. If you would like to further discuss your situation or have additional questions, please send me a private message or email to socialmedia@gm.com. Gregory and I monitor the Cadillac forums and are here to assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.