Heated/Cooled seat problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superjim
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Heated/Cooled seat problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Remote started my car yesterday morning but and when I got it the seats were still cold. The heated seat ...
    phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Heated/Cooled seat problem

Remote started my car yesterday morning but and when I got it the seats were still cold. The heated seat lights were on. On my way to work I turned my heated seat on and it never got warm. On my way home I turned the passenger side on and it to never got warm. I've read a few threads on the connector under the passenger seat getting hot and melting. I put the seat all the way back and all the way up. I could easily see the connection. I disconnected it and looked at both connectors. There is no signs that the connector itself has ever gotten hot. There is no discoloration of the plastics or any of the wires. When the cooling option is selected the fan does not come on. I can hear a single click under the passenger seat when I turn the heated seat on. After a second or so I hear another click. I have checked the fuse and it "appears" to be good. I haven't replaced it. So I am thinking that maybe the module is toast? Is there anything obvious I'm missing? As always, thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: Heated/Cooled seat problem

Check the fuse that powers the module. I just did mine, the connector was not really burnt much at all, but enough to not make good contact and keep the heaters/coolers from working.

Thanks for the reply bigtone. While at lunch I checked fuses F27 and F47. One was a 30a and one was a 10a. Those are the only two fuses that are referenced for the heated/cool seats in the owners manual. Is there another fuse I should check? I'll remove the passenger seat to have a good look at the wires on my next day off. I will post my findings. It may help others in the future.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

I had a 2001 Buick Park Avenue that had a similar problem (with the heated seat issue ... the seat never heated up and there was a clicking sound periodically when the heated seat was turned on). I was told that a common problem with the Park Ave heated seats is the heating elements themselves breaking ... and on that car, the heating elements are sewn into the underside of the leather (necessitating replacing at the very least the leather seating surfaces, if not the whole seat). I never tried to fix it because the seats were too expensive to replace.

I'm not sure if this is a similar problem with the DTS seats, but because of this, I use my DTS heated seats and steering wheel functions very sparingly and I don't leave them on for long when I do use them.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

DTS seats are a different animal. No elements. Those are the fuses. Mine was burnt right at the female connector. I did the job without removing the seat.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

^ Good to know ... Cheers for that info.

trispeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

you sure you checked the right connector? It's not easy to see or get to but you can with the seat all the way up in front and all the way forward. It plugs straight up in to the module that is attached to the bottom of the passenger seat. When I first got my DTS last year, I devised a work- around where I folded a small staple and placed it inside the module end of the connector and that helped for 6 mos. or so until the connector finally melted into a blob. Just got the car back from the Cadillac dealer where they replaced the connector for 277 bucks all in. I didn't need the module; that would have made it more like $850!

Right you are. I was looking at the wrong connector. I located the correct one and one pin is burnt and the surround plastic is melted. The module itself looks to be ok. So I am guessing I can get another connector at the local Caddy dealership. Is there a method to removing the wires from the existing connector or is just "beat it til its in pieces" and the pull the wires free? I feel better now that I know what the problem is. Thanks!!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Right you are. I was looking at the wrong connector. I located the correct one and one pin is burnt and the surround plastic is melted. The module itself looks to be ok. So I am guessing I can get another connector at the local Caddy dealership. Is there a method to removing the wires from the existing connector or is just "beat it til its in pieces" and the pull the wires free? I feel better now that I know what the problem is. Thanks!!
    I know there is a better way to remove the wires, but I really like the idea of "beat it till it's in pieces"...
    I get that way sometimes and that actually made me laugh...
    danog likes this.

I have my passenger seat removed from the car. I went to the dealership this morning and got p/n 15326110. I tried to get a few of the metal pins p/n 15304711. None of the dealerships in my area have any listing for p/n 15304711. I thought maybe I would get lucky and not need any but I was wrong. The cable was very close to being burned in two where the plastic had melted. My car is in the garage and I do not want to put it back together without this being done. Does anybody have a working GM p/n for the little pins? When I search google it comes up as a delco p/n. The dealership could not find p/n 15326110 when looking at my car. Jim, I didn't have to beat it to pieces and fish the wires from the wreckage. But for anybody else doing this, there is a grey locking mechanism running through the connector. It will not come out easily because the plastic is melted. I used a pair of wire cutters to chisel my way through the melted part and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the grey piece out. There are black retaining clips left holding each wire in. I used a very small flat head screw driver to move the black clip away from the wire and then pulled each wire out. It was frustrating until it was easy Now I just need one little clip to have my seats working again.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    I went to the dealership this morning and got p/n 15326110. I tried to get a few of the metal pins p/n 15304711. None of the dealerships in my area have any listing for p/n 15304711. I thought maybe I would get lucky and not need any but I was wrong. The cable was very close to being burned in two where the plastic had melted. My car is in the garage and I do not want to put it back together without this being done. Does anybody have a working GM p/n for the little pins? When I search google it comes up as a delco p/n. The dealership could not find p/n 15326110 when looking at my car. Jim, I didn't have to beat it to pieces and fish the wires from the wreckage. But for anybody else doing this, there is a grey locking mechanism running through the connector. It will not come out easily because the plastic is melted. I used a pair of wire cutters to chisel my way through the melted part and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the grey piece out. There are black retaining clips left holding each wire in. I used a very small flat head screw driver to move the black clip away from the wire and then pulled each wire out. It was frustrating until it was easy Now I just need one little clip to have my seats working again.
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-153261.../dp/B00493VYUO

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/15304711.aspx

https://www.terminalsandconnectors.c...d_product=1350

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Philgment

Did you try Chevrolet, Buick and GMC? They all use the connector.
    G M send trays of connectors every year and they usually are keep in the parts department.
    Ask them if they could sell you some out of one of the trays and order some to replace them. You may get lucky.

What I learned today, at least in my area, is that the parts department has no idea that these exist. If there isn't a p/n in the system then they can not help you. My advise for those looking at their local dealership for these is to ask one of the mechanics. They will know what you are talking and they might even give you one or two for free. Thank you Mr. GM Mechanic for giving me a few for free. And thank you community for helping me resolve this problem.

revolcallidac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS NHP

Replacing it only temporarily fixes it. I did mine, worked like new for 2 weeks and melted AGAIN!!! About to do some "american engineering" of my own!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.